Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

King Johns Castle Footbridge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I don't see the point! It's a very long stretch from AQP to KJC. Will it just be an ugly long walkway obstructing the view?

I'd rather see them put the money into Nicholas Street. So much potential there.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sleepyman

Yeah you're right.
    I wonder is it a walkway built beside the river?I'm assuming that's what it was meant to be.
    Nicholas St is pretty disappointing-should be a good lead up to King Johns but it's not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I don't see the point! It's a very long stretch from AQP to KJC. Will it just be an ugly long walkway obstructing the view?

I'd rather see them put the money into Nicholas Street. So much potential there.

I completely agree, and what's more there is already a walkway from AQP to KJC along the river, it just needs a bit of a polishing up, which would cost very little, it's actually a lovely walk, that whole area is underused I can't for the life of me understand why.

Nicholas St has massive potential, between the Hunt Museum/St Marys Cathedral/KJC there is a perfect opportunity to create an Old Irish street, like the main street in Bunratty folk park.

The bridge would only take from the river, it would be an eyesore if you ask me...the river is beautiful at that particular spot...don't touch it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

and what's more there is already a walkway from AQP to KJC along the river.

At most they need a bit of a boardwalk running in front of King Johns castle linking Thomond bridge to the front of city hall.

The rest of the walk to Sarsfield bridge just needs to be tidied up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

at least it would bring the castle closer to the city. at the moment the castle seems like it is outside the city center but if this was done it would create the illusion that the castle is actually closer and it might give the area around it a little boost. also it would start making the arthurs quay park more livable which is a very good thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

It would be absolute lunacy to spend money even considering this (which they already seem to be doing).

What is being proposed would significantly damage the river amenity along that stretch. That particular vista is the most precious, valuable touristic amenity that the city has (notwithstanding the eyesores of Sarsfield House and the city hall), and they're planning to ruin it!!!??

Honestly, this really shows how limited and moronic council officials can be when it comes to managing and improving our city. It's beyond depressing.

There's so many flaws in the plan, it's hard to know where to begin :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

relaxed wrote: »
    At most they need a bit of a boardwalk running in front of King Johns castle linking Thomond bridge to the front of city hall.

The rest of the walk to Sarsfield bridge just needs to be tidied up.

The idea of a boardwalk/walkway along the river by KJC was mooted before. Nothing ever came of it though.
    http://www.ndj.ie/kingjohnsboardwalk.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

I'm picturing a scene of an unimaginative board official idly looking out his top floor bay windows killing flexi-time of a quite mid-week afternoon, when he is suddenly struck with idea so genius that he quickly abandons his intended putting practice....................quickly a team of frantically nodding minions are called back early from lunch at 2.30 pm, to begin working on fat-heads revolutionary concept.........hold the press he cries.........!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I have never actually been down that street in my life, but I did a quick google streetview of it, it does look like a street that closed down in the 1970s. But you are definitely right, the potential there is massive.

Advertisement