Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Ferries and Tesco vouchers

Options
  • 24-02-2014 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭

So I was looking at booking Irish ferries.

I checked the price of the journey and saw that you can get 4 times the value of your Tesco voucher off the trip.

I ordered the vouchers then went to book. The price went up by €40.

I tried booking without the vouchers and yes, they were charging and extra €40.

It turns out they charge a fee of €20 each leg for people using the Tesco vouchers.

http://www.irishferries.com/uk-en/offers/tesco-deal-tokens/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Triangla wrote: »
    So I was looking at booking Irish ferries.

I checked the price of the journey and saw that you can get 4 times the value of your Tesco voucher off the trip.

I ordered the vouchers then went to book. The price went up by €40.

I tried booking without the vouchers and yes, they were charging and extra €40.

It turns out they charge a fee of €20 each leg for people using the Tesco vouchers.

http://www.irishferries.com/uk-en/offers/tesco-deal-tokens/

So they clearly advertise the charge on their website.

Wheres the ripoff ?

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

The rip off is you go to book with your €40 worth of vouchers and realise they've added €40 to the price.

Having to open further windows to investigate the charges is not clear in my opinion. It could just as easily have been listed as an extra charge when booking.

Having an offer and loading on an extra charge that anyone who decides to take up the offer is obliged to pay is a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

The rip off is you go to book with your €40 worth of vouchers and realise they've added €40 to the price.

Having to open further windows to investigate the charges is not clear in my opinion. It could just as easily have been listed as an extra charge when booking.

Having an offer and loading on an extra charge that anyone who decides to take up the offer is obliged to pay is a rip off.

But tesco tell you this also.
    http://tesco.ie/clubcard/deals/irish-ferries.aspx

I thought it was common knowledge to be honest.
    Terms and Conditions

Irish Ferries - Book online at www.irishferries.com. There will be a €20 administration charge for each crossing added to the lowest internet price for journeys to Britain and France, which can be paid with your Tesco Clubcard Deals Tokens.Reservations made by telephone will attract a €15 booking charge that can be paid using your Clubcard Deals tokens. Tokens will not be accepted on peak departures. Please see www.irishferries.com/tesco for full details.

I think your argument would be different if they were face value vouchers and you weren't told until you went to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Yeah I know it's there now. I didn't even know there was an offer until I was booking the ferry last week.

I was just mightily peeved when my saving was completely negated by the extra fees.

Ideally I would have been aware of the offer ages ago and saved up a lot more Tesco vouchers before booking.

Live and learn and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nishro

Irish Ferries made a big announcement in January of Sale prices to France with a 10% discount that had to be purchased by end of January. Purchased a return trip for 3 adults + car in Oct 2014 for €273.60. Exact same journey is now on sale at €204.00. I have paid €100 deposit but they are still making me pay full balance €173.60.
    Anybody else been caught out ???? They won't catch me again.
    Celtic Link offering much cheaper fares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

I was just mightily peeved when my saving was completely negated by the extra fees.

I thought this (extra fee) was common knowledge too.

the savings with Tesco vouchers are great if you have enough vouchers obviously a €200 (cash) trip would be €240 using Tesco vouchers, but you would only need €60 worth of vouchers so great saving.
    The other side is, that same trip with only €10 worth of Tesco vouchers would be dearer than the non deal price. so you really need a good value of vouchers to start with.

Advertisement