Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claim for Medical expenses?

Options
  • 23-02-2014 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Am looking for someone to offer me some guidance on how to claim for medical expenses. I do not hold any medical insurance and last month had to pay 8000 of my own money for an orthopedic operation.

I am registered on PAYE online and each year would claim for expenses but am unsure if it is as simple as this when claiming for such an expensive overhead, or is there a few more loops to jump through than meets the eye?

Also, as it is early into the new year, i am wondering if this claim would apply to this tax year or if I would need to wait until the end of 2014 to offset these expenses towards next year.

Many thanks for any input.

Subscriber

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,281 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The procedure for claiming large medical expenses via PAYE Anytime is exactly the same as if you're just claiming for a couple of visits to your GP. You can claim for any of the previous 4 years, but make sure you keep the receipts as the Revenue Commissioners can request proof of the expense. Unfortunately for the money you've just spent you won't be able to claim it until after the year end as claims can only be made retrospectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Zaph wrote: »
    The procedure for claiming large medical expenses via PAYE Anytime is exactly the same as if you're just claiming for a couple of visits to your GP. You can claim for any of the previous 4 years, but make sure you keep the receipts as the Revenue Commissioners can request proof of the expense. Unfortunately for the money you've just spent you won't be able to claim it until after the year end as claims can only be made retrospectively.

Cheers mate,

Considering i will be claiming for a few thousand euros of medical expenses, it seems like quiet a loose unprotected system on revenues behalf. I can see how they let ppl claim for a couple of hundred euros at the end of each year on routine medical expenses online in order to avoid back log in offices but allow someone to claim for a few thousand without a decision being made by a revenue official, i find this amazing.

Any how, will these expenses just act as tax credits for 2015, or i potentially see physical cash back into my account nxt yr?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You get the tax refunded into your account, if you have registered your account details with them. Otherwise you get a cheque in the post.

The chances of them checking your receipts etc are much higher if you claim large amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

subscriber wrote: »
    Cheers mate,

Considering i will be claiming for a few thousand euros of medical expenses, it seems like quiet a loose unprotected system on revenues behalf. I can see how they let ppl claim for a couple of hundred euros at the end of each year on routine medical expenses online in order to avoid back log in offices but allow someone to claim for a few thousand without a decision being made by a revenue official, i find this amazing.

Any how, will these expenses just act as tax credits for 2015, or i potentially see physical cash back into my account nxt yr?

You must wait until after 31/12/14 to make your claim. If any refund is due when you make your claim next year then a refund of cash is issued to you.

As a general note, the online system is not like an atm where you can just enter figures and refunds issue. The system has inbuilt safeguards which include random and specific checks on claims. These claims are highlighted for checking by Revenue officials.
    Also at any time even though you may have received a refund, your claim may be examined to check it's veracity.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Makes perfect sense, thanks everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

It might be worth your while contacting Revenue and see if this applies to you - claiming expenses during the tax year they were incurred.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it6.html

When can I make a claim?
    Claims for tax relief for health expenses should be made after the end of the tax year in which the expenses were incurred. (However, see next question ).

I am a PAYE worker paying monthly nursing home fees for my mother – Is it possible for me to get the tax relief due on these fees through the PAYE system during the tax year instead of waiting until at the end of the tax year?
    Yes, in certain circumstances relief may be granted during the year. You should contact your local tax office with details of your claim. If the claim relates to the year 2010 and subsequent years of assessment the nursing home in question must provide qualified nursing care on-site on a 24-hour per day basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Does anyone know if I have to fill out more than one of those MED forms if I am claiming for 2 or three family members or will one form do the job?
    many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

if you are claiming for their expenses (i.e against your tax) then one form will do

if each of them is making their own individual claim against their own tax - then a separate form for each

Advertisement