Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction

Options
  • 23-02-2014 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭

So it seems there's a new Duke Nukem game on the way. Doesn't look like Gearbox are involved this time around though. Word on the street is that through cracking a bunch of codes on this website fans revealled information about the game. Apparently it's going to be an action rpg and will be released on PC and PS4 (so says Gamespot anyways). Personally, all I got from the website was a really annoying noise. The official full announcement should be out on tuesday.

So then, have we all gotten over Duke Nukem: Forever enough to have any kinda hopes for a new title or has Duke overstayed his welcome already?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

in my opinion they should of left Duke Nukem alone
    its one of those old classic games that shouldn't be remade

its like remaking an only fools and horses series except without the original cast
    it just doesn't work

Shadow Warrior and ROTT proved that old school FPSs can still deliver the goods. There's a simplicity to them that's hard not to like and when done right they can be quite witty and a lot of fun. The problem with Forever was that the character of Duke never evolved beyond the original incarnation. He feels like a relic and the humour simply isn't funny. Wang in the recent SW shows how to update a character, he became something of a bumbling fool and most of the humour was at his expense where's Duke is still a miscognistic dick stuck 20 years in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Yeah, the humour in Forever should've focused on Duke being a relic, completely out of place with the rest of the world, and not being able to figure out why. There was probably quite a bit of mileage in that approach, but they took the easy (and awful) choice and kept Duke, and his universe, the same as always

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Whether they could have played up Duke as a relic or not, DNF was a pretty shoddy, awful game regardless, even when you ignored the hype that surrounded the game for the longest time.

On Mass Destruction, Kotaku are reporting that Gearbox are suing 3D Realms over this game, so looks like things could get messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

"Hey duke! Put on this power armour!"

"Power suit is for pussies" and you see master chief Halo suit.

I found it very funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

"Hey duke! Put on this power armour!"

"Power suit is for pussies" and you see master chief Halo suit.

I found it very funny.

It probably would have been funnier if he want using a very similar health system himself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The problem with Forever was because it moved away from Duke's original form. Duke was basically a Chuck Norris parody that did not take himself seriously who was out to kick ass and be a Alpha male with very limited amount of sex related jokes. Now take the last version and instead of being a parody they actually try to add more sex and think that's a good thing while losing the track of what made the original games good (non linear maps, hidden areas, not taking itself seriously) and because they can't think up how to make it less straight line game add in a ton of game modes to try to hide the fact (i.e. shrunken driving around, large driving around, shrunken radio DC driving, shrunken running around kitchen, drunk punching etc.) it's a straight A to B game play with out detours compared to the original making you seek out hidden rooms, climb ventilation shafts to have alternate ways into rooms etc. Take for example boss fights; episode 2? "I'm going to rip your head off and **** down your throat!" That's bad ass Duke but instead we get triple breasted boss and slapping breasts on walls...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Turns out you actually need to own the IP to legally make a game, who knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Varik wrote: »
    Turns out you to actually own the IP to legally make a game, who knew.

And now people are out complaining about Gearbox trying to protect an IP they bought and own fair and square

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Did gearbox bought whole Duke Nuken IP or just Duke Nuken Forever? ( if that is even possible )

I really dont want Gearbox going even near classics anymore. Or even Allien games. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just read that interceptor were developing this. They did a great job with rise of the triad so it's a pity this isn't going ahead.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Just read that interceptor were developing this. They did a great job with rise of the triad so it's a pity this isn't going ahead.

Has it been proper stopped then? The big announcement was lined up for today on the website mentioned above; has it actually happened? I haven't been on.the laptop yet to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

I read that it is going ahead because it’s actually a title that was in development prior to DNF and Gearbox doesn't have the rights to anything Duke that was previously released or in development.

TomCo wrote: »
    I read that it is going ahead because it’s actually a title that was in development prior to DNF and Gearbox doesn't have the rights to anything Duke that was previously released or in development.

That's an interesting twist. Although, if it's in the works since before Forever, does that mean it's been in development since before Gearbox took over, or since the 1920s?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

deathrider wrote: »
    That's an interesting twist. Although, if it's in the works since before Forever, does that mean it's been in development since before Gearbox took over, or since the 1920s?

What I think happened is that it was in development but cancelled when the DNF deal went through. I also heard that development started behind the back of 3D Realms who cancelled it. Not sure which is true if either of them are. Interceptor who were developing it were moved on to Rise of the Triad.

I'd say 3D Realms might have found a loophole.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Inceptor mentioned this a few months ago in an interview or something. Thought release seemed unlikely. Would like to see the result. Wonder if they have Jon St John doing the voice.

Still no change on that website anyways...

Advertisement