Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Clubs in Dublin

Options
  • 23-02-2014 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    Somebodies just asked me if I know anything about Private Clubs in Dublin c 1940.
    They have family who worked at the Kildare Street Club 1939-1941 and know little about it other than it was joined with University Club in the 70's.

I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of getting further information so that I can pass it on.

Many thanks in advance,
    Vic

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

The wiki on it is not bad - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kildare_Street_Club.

Members had reciprocal rights with several clubs overseas and some Irish clubs, including the Royal St. George YC in Dun Laoghaire, which (I think) dates back to the days when Kildare St members could avail of breakfast at the RSGYC on arrival at Dun Laoghaire on the morning mailboat. It was very much an Ascendancy club, full of landed gentry for the season in Dublin and events such as Punchestown Races. Parties were quite riotous betimes, there is a story about a waiter being flung out a window in the mid 1800's by a character/ army officer / MFH known as Chicken Hartopp.
    Supposedly the drink 'Club Orange' originated there, made for the members by Cantrell & Cochrane at their old factory nearby; I don't know if this is fact or legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭VicWynne

Many thanks Pedroeibar1,
    I've also found the Kildare Club website which has their address & phone number - I've passed on your post and the club details.
    I suspect they'll be getting a query from her soon,
    Thanks for your help,
    Vic

Advertisement