Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Videography Question

Options
  • 23-02-2014 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I am looking into buying a Canon 700d for film making but have the chance to use a Sony HDR 520 for free and am wondering if one is better then the other for filming video? I tried searching online but had no luck and would like to see peoples opinions on it. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Hi,

I am looking into buying a Canon 700d for film making but have the chance to use a Sony HDR 520 for free and am wondering if one is better then the other for filming video? I tried searching online but had no luck and would like to see peoples opinions on it. Thanks

The Sony is a camcorder the Canon is an SLR. With an SLR you can switch to very fast lenses while the optics in the Sony are all you get. So it all depends what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Hi,

I'd go with the 700D if I had to choose. It's a more versatile piece of equipment. But you'll need to invest in some decent lenses, audio and stabilizing equipment if you want to get the best from it in a film making scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,577 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

gloobag wrote: »
    But you'll need to invest in some decent lenses, audio and stabilizing equipment if you want to get the best from it in a film making scenario.

agree with above,

the adds seam never-ending , to get good sounds to match good visuals - the SLR route is probably better long term, but will will certainly be more expensive, good sound does not come cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭kevc2

I have the 700D myself, good camera. Check out the 650D, there's not much difference apart from a full spin around dial and costs a good bit cheaper. I got the Tamron 24-70mm f2.8. It's a great lens for video, has image stabilisation but costs a good bit. Way cheaper than the Canon version and that doesn't come with IS or VC as Tamron calls it.

Advertisement