Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I working for free?

Options
  • 22-02-2014 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I have an issue here. I am a student, and I was very happy to find a new job in a Cafe. It is a part-time job where they "call me when they need me".
    I worked 3 hours as a trial previous week, and I was told that now I am employed. I came in next day and worked 8 hours till Cafe Closed. I asked for a contract for a many times, however, manager and the girls who work there told me they have to contract, and they just provide their PPS numbers and Bank Account details to receive their salary.
    I used to receive a contract straight away after I started work in previous places, so I got concerned.
    I worked a few more hours this week, however, I didn't receive my salaray for the previous week that was supposed to be yesterday. I have texted my manager, and didn't receive an answer yet.
    Am I working for free? And what can I do in this case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 wolf321

I worked in a few part time jobs during my student days and didn't always get a contract, businesses will be reluctant to give them if the work is ad hoc. Just go into the cafe and ask to talk to you're manager. Also they may have already transferred the money into your account but the new banking legislation SEPA seems to have slowed everything down, caused quite the panic in work last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Pennicus

Thank you for your answer! :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

They may require you to work a back week so you wouldn't be paid for your first week of work till you leave. This would be standard practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

WildRosie wrote: »
    They may require you to work a back week so you wouldn't be paid for your first week of work till you leave. This would be standard practice.

Would be nice if they could inform their employee when they will pay him/her,and having the moral, professional compass.
    This person could be out of money and hungry.

I would go in to work and speak with manager and get exact date of payment.I hope it has gone through already.
    Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭scwazrh

WildRosie wrote: »

I think youre wrong with your description of a back week.To my knowledge a back week is where you get paid this week for last weeks work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭daheff

wolf321 wrote: »
    Also they may have already transferred the money into your account but the new banking legislation SEPA seems to have slowed everything down, caused quite the panic in work last week.

Absolutely no reason why SEPA should have slowed down payments to you. Taking direct debits maybe, but not making payments to you. SCT should be complete (under the legislation) on T+1 basis

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

daheff wrote: »
    Absolutely no reason why SEPA should have slowed down payments to you. Taking direct debits maybe, but not making payments to you. SCT should be complete (under the legislation) on T+1 basis

We get paid on a Friday

Before SEPA you could go to ATM at a minute past midnight and funds would be there

Now it can be up to 10:30 on Friday morning, and the first week after SEPA went live it was nearly 2pm before some people got funds in their bank

Banks kept this very quiet while BSing us about how SEPA would make things easier !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

^^ there are several windows during the day when the payments are moved between banks. this is now "slowness" and it allows for several of those windows during the day. previously you either had it on the day or not

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

scwazrh wrote: »
    I think youre wrong with your description of a back week.To my knowledge a back week is where you get paid this week for last weeks work.
    Nope. Back week is when you get a weeks/months pay the week/month after the person leaves the job. This would mean that they don't get paid for their first week/month. Better to get it clarified, however, in case it's too late when you leave to chase it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,842 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

the_syco wrote: »
    Nope. Back week is when you get a weeks/months pay the week/month after the person leaves the job. This would mean that they don't get paid for their first week/month. Better to get it clarified, however, in case it's too late when you leave to chase it up.

Ya, but the question is - which week is held back? Is it always the same one, or is it a running one week late.

The way i understond, you get paid one week late, so you get the money for

week1 in week 2
    week 2 in week 3
    week 79 (or whatever week you leave in) in what woudl have been week80.

That makes far more sense to me, because pay rates may well go up in the meantime. And it means you can challenge any issues with week one's pay close to the time when it happened, insteaed of months/years later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement