Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggest me a..

Options
  • 21-02-2014 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭

Okay guys. Someone suggest me an RTS or strategy game PLZ :D . I'm in the mood for something slower to play on the flaptop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Civilisation or Ages of Empires

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Rome: Total War?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Starcrat 2 - the arcade (community made games) is totally free, but not the actual game itself (because reasons - who knows how Blizzard works).

Civ 5 will swallow your life, it's waht Civ does, but it's an incredible game. It's turn based of course, so that may not be what you want.

XCom Enemy Unknown is also brilliant, but also turn based.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Civilisation or Ages of Empires

Played AoE to death in the past. Same goes with Civs 1-4
    Rome: Total War?
    Played to death also :P
    Shiminay wrote: »
    Starcrat 2 - the arcade (community made games) is totally free, but not the actual game itself (because reasons - who knows how Blizzard works).

Civ 5 will swallow your life, it's waht Civ does, but it's an incredible game. It's turn based of course, so that may not be what you want.

XCom Enemy Unknown is also brilliant, but also turn based.

Im not adverse to turn based either :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Frozen Synapse is a brilliant turn based shooter. Well I like it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

StarCraft 2. Good single player and good multiplayer.

Red Alert 1, 2 and 3. All quality.

XCOM Enemy Unkown. Turn based Strategy game with RPG elements. Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Emmm RTS....

Starcraft 2 - Really good and a great bargain when you include all the arcade games/maps you get. Its like 1000000 games in 1.

Get yourself that EA RTS bundle of all C&C games. Cabt go wrong with good oldy!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Command-Conquer-Ultimate-Edition-Download/dp/B0098VNKDQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1393021940&sr=8-5&keywords=C%26C+collection

DoW I and II with all expansions - Always fun.

Settlers 7 - its not real RTS, but more economy game. So much fun. Its on sale in Steam. I even bought it again, just to have it on steam with all expansions.

Heroes 6 with all expansions - not RTS really, but a mix of turn based and RPG. Lots of fun, on sale now too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

banished
    tropico 3

world in conflict (amazeballs)

company of heroes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

World in Conflict I just replay that game for the story alone never mind the great game play
    R.U.S.E. isn't bad or Wargame: European Escalation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Crusader Kings 2 or Europa Universalis 4 if you dont mind the slightly steeper than average learning curve both can provide hours of entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

What have you played? What do you like? Strategy is kind of broad as a genre...

Hex-based Wargame: Panzer Corps (WWII game by Slitherine), Battle World Kronos (like the old Battle Isle games)

Tactical Turn Based: the new or old XCOM

Real Time Tactical: Close Combat series (loads of them)

Building game: Banished (new release), Anno 2070 (very polished), Tropico (more casual)

Grand Strategy: Crusader Kings II if you don't know Paradox Games, otherwise Hearts of Iron II or Europa Universalis IV

Space stuff: Sins of a Solar Empire (RTS/4x hybrid), Galactic Civilisations II (older 4x game)

Fantasy-esque: Eador: Masters of a Broken World (very steep learning curve, like Heroes of Might and Magic but actually difficult), Elemental: Fallen Enchantress (Civ in a fantasy world)

Older stuff:

Masters of Magic, Dungeon Keeper I & II, Panzer General, Sim City 4, Steel Panthers, Civ IV.

Etc. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

If you haven't played the original Fallout and Fallout 2, you'd probably get a kick out of them (RPG with TBS)
    Fallout Tactics is a pretty good TBS too, with a semi-decent story.

Homeworld & HW2 is/are worth playing again.

Shogun 2 TW fall of the samurai is awesome! ..and very easy (but super fun) when you've got loads cannons and naval artillery.

Banished is brilliant, but very much an acquired taste.

C&C Generals is dated but still worth a shot, challenge mode for scrubs like me who just lose before they start multiplayer is awesome.

Orcs Must Die 2 is quality, if you've another poor soul to play it with it's even better.

S.P.A.Z is worth a go, cheap too and can be a pretty long game if you dont mind total biscuit being a fcuking awful narrator (he doesnt say much in fairness)

Warhammer Dawn of War 2 and it's expansions are excellent, few years old at this stage and still pretty awesome to play.

Tropico 3/4 are fairly decent city builders

Plants Vs Zombies - worth a shot if only for the music

Company of Heroes. The original campaign is great, the first time you get to use shermans is awesome!

Emperor: Battle for Dune
    Probably the most awesome RTS I've ever played besides the original C&C.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anno 2070 if your looking for a good city builder or coh is what I would recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Sim City 4. Not the new Sim city that came out last year what was shocking :eek:

Age Of Empires 2 HD is another great game

If your a Fan of football. Football Manager 2014 a game in witch you will lose your life to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

If you're looking for something different, have a look at Achron. Visually not the best out there by a long shot, but it's the only RTS that does time travel as an actual mechanic, and it does that really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Lord of the Rings Battle for Middle Earth is pretty good for a licensed game too same with the Star Wars one , can't think of the name of it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

If you haven't played the original Fallout and Fallout 2, you'd probably get a kick out of them (RPG with TBS)
    Fallout Tactics is a pretty good TBS too, with a semi-decent story.

Homeworld & HW2 is/are worth playing again.

Shogun 2 TW fall of the samurai is awesome! ..and very easy (but super fun) when you've got loads cannons and naval artillery.

Banished is brilliant, but very much an acquired taste.

C&C Generals is dated but still worth a shot, challenge mode for scrubs like me who just lose before they start multiplayer is awesome.

Orcs Must Die 2 is quality, if you've another poor soul to play it with it's even better.

S.P.A.Z is worth a go, cheap too and can be a pretty long game if you dont mind total biscuit being a fcuking awful narrator (he doesnt say much in fairness)

Warhammer Dawn of War 2 and it's expansions are excellent, few years old at this stage and still pretty awesome to play.

Tropico 3/4 are fairly decent city builders

Plants Vs Zombies - worth a shot if only for the music

Company of Heroes. The original campaign is great, the first time you get to use shermans is awesome!

Emperor: Battle for Dune
    Probably the most awesome RTS I've ever played besides the original C&C.

Ideally I want something like fallout1 and 2 tbh :P Finished CoH and not keen on Warhammer but the suggestions are much appreciated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

Company of heroes,
    the close combat games are excellent but can be unbelievably slow sometimes, still the best though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Knights of Honor

/thread

:P

Love this game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Ideally I want something like fallout1 and 2 tbh :P Finished CoH and not keen on Warhammer but the suggestions are much appreciated :D

Tried Shadowrun Returns yet? Very much like the older Fallout games mechanically. Damn good game in its own right too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Supreme Commander Gold Edition (Contains the brilliant Forged Alliance Expansion) is on sale for €3.74 [75% OFF] on steam right now. LINK

Also, FAF ;)

Advertisement