Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dripping newbie

Options
  • 21-02-2014 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi all, i bought a trident today to give dripping a go. I tried it out and after hyping myself up so much im really dissapointed. The draw is so loose i feel like i cant get a nice mouth to lung inhale. Im drawing straight to the lungs and its killing me. I set the airflow to a lower setting and kinda was able to do a mouth inhale but still the vapour felt very thin and sharp on the chest. Was i expecting something wrong? I had this idea it was gona be like a good clearo or tank but tonnes more flavour and vapour.??

I hope someone can rescue my spirits. I bought kanthal and cotton so im up 4 having a go at doing a build tonight if that can fix it!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

eirewhite wrote: »
    Hi all, i bought a trident today to give dripping a go. I tried it out and after hyping myself up so much im really dissapointed. The draw is so loose i feel like i cant get a nice mouth to lung inhale. Im drawing straight to the lungs and its killing me. I set the airflow to a lower setting and kinda was able to do a mouth inhale but still the vapour felt very thin and sharp on the chest. Was i expecting something wrong? I had this idea it was gona be like a good clearo or tank but tonnes more flavour and vapour.??

I hope someone can rescue my spirits. I bought kanthal and cotton so im up 4 having a go at doing a build tonight if that can fix it!?
    The widest setting is indeed very wide, and the more air the less flavour unless you're making up for the losses with either super LR or multi-coil builds.
    Pics of set-up?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭eirewhite

what kind of build would you reccomend grindle? bearing in mind im a newbie, but i might have a go and report back

what kind of build would you reccomend grindle? bearing in mind im a newbie, but i might have a go and report back

You've got quite thin wire there (0.3x0.1mm ribbon?). I'd have the coils closer together and the coil much closer to the airhole but the size of wire might mean you'll get hot legs unless you double back and twist the legs (halves the resistance of the legs and = no hot legs)...which might be hard with ribbon. Ribbon twists great around round wire, but not sure about it twisting with itself.

Another way to go would be to look at the spec of the SVD (I think?) - minimum resistance = 1.3ohm.

If I was right with my guess of the wire, cut two 6cm lengths of it and coil those around a mini screwdriver in parallel together as if they are one and the same, for they [practically] shall be...
    You'll have two coils touching each other that'll measure around 1.3-1.4ohm, great coverage of the wick. Point the airhole at the coil closest to it, try to have the coil come a little further out from the posts (just a couple of mm), slip some small bit of cotton in, saturate, point your airhole skywards making sure you only have the single airhole open and have a nice vape. Hopefully.
    Should be pretty good around 15w.

grindle wrote: »
    You've got quite thin wire there (0.3x0.1mm ribbon?). I'd have the coils closer together and the coil much closer to the airhole but the size of wire might mean you'll get hot legs unless you double back and twist the legs (halves the resistance of the legs and = no hot legs)...which might be hard with ribbon. Ribbon twists great around round wire, but not sure about it twisting with itself.

Another way to go would be to look at the spec of the SVD (I think?) - minimum resistance = 1.3ohm.

If I was right with my guess of the wire, cut two 6cm lengths of it and coil those around a mini screwdriver in parallel together as if they are one and the same, for they [practically] shall be...
    You'll have two coils touching each other that'll measure around 1.3-1.4ohm, great coverage of the wick. Point the airhole at the coil closest to it, try to have the coil come a little further out from the posts (just a couple of mm), slip some small bit of cotton in, saturate, point your airhole skywards making sure you only have the single airhole open and have a nice vape. Hopefully.
    Should be pretty good around 15w.

The wire i got was 0.16 mm kanthal. So to go for around 1.3 ohms with a dual coil build how many wraps for each coil?
    So im looking for coils much tighter together. And one airhole, both coils touching.

The wire i got was 0.16 mm kanthal. So to go for around 1.3 ohms with a dual coil build how many wraps for each coil?
    So im looking for coils much tighter together. And one airhole, both coils touching.

Okay, 0.16 is much easier to work with. Cut a good length of kanthal, maybe 20cm, slip the kanthal through anything that has a hole in it that you can spin (a key), hold onto the two loose ends of the kanthal and let the key or whatever fall to the middle...start spinning it in one direction until the wires are nice and tightly-twisted together like this.
    Cut a 5cm length from your new twisted kanthal wire and coil so the coils are close enough and position it a couple of mm away from the posts, might be 1.5-1.6ohm, should still have a pretty quick heat-up time because the wire is thin.

I don't know anything about wrap amounts because they're inaccurate - resistance is decided by length of wire and that wire's resistance per cm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 OctopusEcig

Try making a lower ohm setup.

The bigger the airholes are the lower the ohm needs to be.

Eirewhite's using a regulated mod.

hmm maybe you have too much cotton in there then.

Or maybe your airholes isn't right in front of the coil? (That would result in very thin vapour and a lot of throathit)

Could you post a picture of the setup?

hmm maybe you have too much cotton in there then.

Or maybe your airholes isn't right in front of the coil? (That would result in very thin vapour and a lot of throathit)

Could you post a picture of the setup?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89125177&postcount=3

ahh thanks lol.

Im pretty sure the problem is the airhole.

Move the shield so the airhole is in the spot I have marked on the picture. (the way you have it setup right now the airflow to the coils are beeing blocked)

sg7qee.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

I'd highly recommend getting some thicker kanthal, 0.16mm is much too thin unless you wrap it which is a bit of a pain. I'd recommend 0.32mm (28 gauge as the yanks call it).

If you have a regulated mod things like the tricro coil or diamond coil as demonstrated by a guy called riptrippers on youtube are the best way to go (grindle may not agree:)), and not as difficult as they look to build. The results will be a real eye opener and they don't need to be low resistance coils, around1.6-1.8 ohms is perfect which suits a regulated mod.

The trident is only really good with dual coils which are out for you as you're using a regulated mod, barring the 2 builds I've mentioned above. Wrapping wire as recommended above is also an option but more of a pain, IMO at least.

Best of luck, let us know how you get on.

Whats up everypne, so had a go at my very first build last night following grindles instructions. I got a dual coil with twisted kanyhal done but I found the twisted kanthal difficult to wprk with, maybe I twisted too tight but it was a bit stiff. Anyway it didnt work as it shorted out somewhere, but I ended up doing a single coil which ended up at 2.7ohms (I havnt a clue tbh about ohms so I done know how it ended up at this) I used cotton though and covered a nice bit of the deck tucking it in aroumd the poles and under the coil. I have the second smallest airhole open beside the coil and the other side closed. Im actually getting a decent vape out of it at around 11 watts. Much thicker and nicer than the pre built one that came in it. Ive got pics but I cant post them from the tablet ill try get them up from the laptop tomorrow

Wait a second - the build that was in there was the one that was installed by some randomer in China?

Those are famously crap and generally shouldn't be vaped. Possibility that you need to wash your atty, they often leave machine residue on these things.

Your 0.16mm Kanthal is around 0.69ohm/com. This means every cm of length adds 0.69 of an ohm.

2.7 / 0.69 = 3.9cm of wire in that coil.

Get some thicker wire for yourself on Monday, you won't regret it. Thicker wire allows for more heat and extra coverage.

Wait a second - the build that was in there was the one that was installed by some randomer in China?

Those are famously crap and generally shouldn't be vaped. Possibility that you need to wash your atty, they often leave machine residue on these things.

Your 0.16mm Kanthal is around 0.69ohm/com. This means every cm of length adds 0.69 of an ohm.

2.7 / 0.69 = 3.9cm of wire in that coil.

Get some thicker wire for yourself on Monday, you won't regret it. Thicker wire allows for more heat and extra coverage.

Cool i might try get some 0.32 then. Im presuming thicker wire will also be easier to wrap and less fiddley

It is less fiddly, yup. Also lasts longer through a cycle of dry-burns and rewicks which means you don't have to recoil for aaaaaages if you don't want to, just a clean and rewick.

0.32mm = 0.18ohm/cm, so you're looking at an 8cm length to get 1.5-1.6ohm.

Wrap the coils close together but not across eachother and you're one torch-and-compress away from a great microcoil!

It is less fiddly, yup. Also lasts longer through a cycle of dry-burns and rewicks which means you don't have to recoil for aaaaaages if you don't want to, just a clean and rewick.

0.32mm = 0.18ohm/cm, so you're looking at an 8cm length to get 1.5-1.6ohm.

Wrap the coils close together but not across eachother and you're one torch-and-compress away from a great microcoil!

Grand job thats what ill do so!

Starting to Get the hang of this now. Still using the 0.16 kanthal, made a 2.5ohm coil there tonight and its vaping lovely! Much better experience than what i started out with when i bought the rda :-)

Your airhole appears to be on the opposite side to the coil?

Your airhole appears to be on the opposite side to the coil?

Oh yea i didnt notice dat in the pic. I literally gave it a couple of fires and threw the barrell on. Must have took the pic before adjusting it. Anyways the way i was vaping it was with one airhole at the coil half open ( not sure the mm but it was right in the middle between the largergt and smallest) vaping pretty good though so pleased.

Still find the twisted wire much more difficult to work with

My nichrome wire arrived from ft yesterday. Just did a quick build. 1.3ohms and vaping like an absolute demon!! Delira with me staighra :-D

• Advertisement
Advertisement