Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing Kit

Options
  • 21-02-2014 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for recommendations for fishing kits for
    1) Survival kit (small pocket size)
    2) Bug out Bag (light weight but durable )
    I don't have much interest in fishing so don't have a clue on what to pick up or where so any help would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

I have a telescopic rod for the past few years, bought it in a sale for a tenner I think, reel and all. I buy spinners whenever I see them cheap, got 12 in France last year for €4, and I've caught a few fish on them. I also have a beach rod, hooks and weights given to me by a good mate, with which I've caught a few rock salmon with. I have a fly rod, reel and a load of flies which I haven't used yet and a boat rod, reel that I haven't used yet. I normally keep the telescopic and my tin of spinners in the van with my go bag as it gets a bit of use if I'm near some here I can fish. I would not consider myself a seasoned fisherman, I like spinning and beach fishing but would love to do more. The reason I say all this is, in my bug out bag, I have a fishing tin which contains line, weights, lots of small hooks and one or two spinners, plus some small glowsticks. Basically the same stuff I have in my survival tins. In a survival situation, id either put together an otter board, using 4 or 5 hooks, or I'd use one weighted line with several hooks on leaders, both methods tied off to the bank or a tree and left for a few hours or over night. This way your chances of landing fish are greatly increased. But I don't think it's legal. I went fishing in Galway last weekend, spinning and had a great time, one or two tickles (I think) but caught not a thing, but that's why they call it "fishing", and not "catching" ! I then got the girlfriends car stuck on a hill in a forest with no phone coverage and not a clue where I was. Had a ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

It might be better first to think out what fishing options you might have and then tailor the kit accordingly.

For example I have a rubber dingy and use of several canoes and fishing from them you could make direct use the BCB survival fishing kit. From my nearest beach I could put out some baited lines at low tide and check on the following low tide again with just the BCB kit. It doesn't have many hooks in the kit and they take up little space so I'd add at least a dozen extra hooks; there is also room for a lot more line on the winder so again room for extra.

Another option here is fishing for brown trout (or so I'm lead to believe) and you'd want much smaller hooks than you get in the BCB kit.

Off the rocks here I'd want heavier line but BCB kit would still be usable.

But for the price its hard to beat it, cheaper on Amazon if you want it as an add-on item http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bushcraft-BCB-Fishing-Kit/dp/B00DN27R3A/

Its on my Amazon Wish List but I just have this feeling I can do a bit better (famous last words) I keep looking for a slightly more solid winder for the line (the BCB one isn't very strong) to use as the base to make up my own.

Much stronger and even better from a boat is one of the Fladden hand lines http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fladen-Handline-Set-Pirk-Feather/dp/B005MK88JS/ but its a bit to bulky to carry around if you aren't going to use it and for survival use would at least need a few more hooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

It might be better first to think out what fishing options you might have and then tailor the kit accordingly.

For example I have a rubber dingy and use of several canoes and fishing from them you could make direct use the BCB survival fishing kit. From my nearest beach I could put out some baited lines at low tide and check on the following low tide again with just the BCB kit. It doesn't have many hooks in the kit and they take up little space so I'd add at least a dozen extra hooks; there is also room for a lot more line on the winder so again room for extra.

Another option here is fishing for brown trout (or so I'm lead to believe) and you'd want much smaller hooks than you get in the BCB kit.

Off the rocks here I'd want heavier line but BCB kit would still be usable.

But for the price its hard to beat it, cheaper on Amazon if you want it as an add-on item http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bushcraft-BCB-Fishing-Kit/dp/B00DN27R3A/

Its on my Amazon Wish List but I just have this feeling I can do a bit better (famous last words) I keep looking for a slightly more solid winder for the line (the BCB one isn't very strong) to use as the base to make up my own.

Much stronger and even better from a boat is one of the Fladden hand lines http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fladen-Handline-Set-Pirk-Feather/dp/B005MK88JS/ but its a bit to bulky to carry around if you aren't going to use it and for survival use would at least need a few more hooks.
    At the moment im looking for ideas as I dont want to buy kit and waste money because its crap When I pick up something Ill be testing it out in mostly lakes and rivers as ill be heading inland more than towards a coast

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭drvr

monofilament line. selection of hooks small for freshwater , larger ones for sea fishing. some lead split shot. a couple of spinners / lures and a wire trace. search car boot sales etc for rods and reels. my wife got me a telescopic rod and reel for a fiver at one . had to fix the top line ring (1.50 and some super glue). great little rod. have seen hooks and line in pound shops, wouldn't be great for a serious angler but would probably serve well enough for a kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭J_A_F_A

This may be of interest to you... http://www.streamlines.com/index.htm
    <snip>
    <snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

J_A_F_A wrote: »
    This may be of interest to you... http://www.streamlines.com/index.htm

I like that, it gets around the casting problem you have when you don't have a rod.

I was thinking about using a tent pole or walking pole as a fishing rod and of course google showed me that someone had already done it http://www.gizmag.com/fikkes-trekking-fishing-pole/21992/ but common sense says $200 is a bit too much to spend on the solution, its more like something for the guy that already has everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Aldi when they have their fishing specials have a very compact 5ft telescopic kids/travel rod and reel.
    Costs Approx 10 euro.
    Good value for the money you pay for it.
    Ideal for a backpack.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

if you are looking at a survival situation in either sea or freshwater i would consider using what was called a <snip> and pull it in completely illegal but For survivalist.

Beyond that as a multi purpose rod it is hard to beat a solid fibreglass light boat rod that has a bit of action and about 5 feet I have seen it used wormfishing for trout and landing congers spinning almost everything. because it is solid fibreglass it is pretty indestrutable and very cheap.

also have some floats. float fishing can be done with very little bait and very little effort.

sheesh wrote: »
    if you are looking at a survival situation in either sea or freshwater i would consider using what was called a <snip> and pull it in completely illegal but For survivalist.

Beyond that as a multi purpose rod it is hard to beat a solid fibreglass light boat rod that has a bit of action and about 5 feet I have seen it used wormfishing for trout and landing congers spinning almost everything. because it is solid fibreglass it is pretty indestrutable and very cheap.

also have some floats. float fishing can be done with very little bait and very little effort.

Thanks for the info but had to edit the illegal part of the post ;) As i said above ive found a rod and reel for 16 euro im going to give that a try knowing me ill prob catch a shopping trolley

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

ShadowFox wrote: »
    Thanks for the info but had to edit the illegal part of the post ;) As i said above ive found a rod and reel for 16 euro im going to give that a try knowing me ill prob catch a shopping trolley

oops sorry! give it a try for mackeral and small pollock in the sea during the summer. you will need a permit for most fresh water fishing and a license. if you might catch salmon or white trout. have a search for coarse fishing in lakes as well. you best bet is to try to find someone to show you the ropes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 1opinion

I fish for sport and the concept of the survivalist setup takes a little getting used to but I respect the concept and its practitioners. No offence personally to anyone’s point of view but I would have to point out I have seen some the damage that some of the illegal fishing activity does to the environment, local wildlife and stocks and it is not in my opinion something that should be practiced in any event because any angler will tell you it’s not necessary. Tying off lines to trees with multi rigs and hooks is one of the most destructive set ups you can have near a river or lake but to mention one, again not a personal point on any person just my experience and opinion.
    I would take the view from the Chinese proverb, "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime". All you need is a little practise, a little experience and have a chat with any of the anglers who are into the sport, I can assure you they will be more than helpful and who knows you may even catch the bug for the sport yourself.
    With regard to what kit in my opinion if I was to have an all round kit for sea, lakes, rivers etc that was only survival based then, the telescopic rod( suggest 7 to 9 foot, test curve 3.5lbs which puts you in the range of Pike to Carp rod, Braid line(comes in various breaking strains, tested and is invaluable as a strong fastener like string for any application or purpose you would need string for, good brand is Spider Wire) on the reel, set of Feathers for the coast and your into Mackerel and Polack, size 2, 4 and 6 hooks will see you right for rivers and lakes, worms, bread are most common baits(patience is also a large part of it, you can build a swim up if you are stationary, you drop small bits of bait in regularly and gain the confidence of the fish so they swim in the area for easy food particles, again any angler on any river bank can give you this and a lot more info and tips, Wire traces or the
    equivalent for your line to hook, spinner(s) if you use those. As pointed out in earlier posts, licences and seasons for fishing should be looked up and good luck with the fishing.

Advertisement