Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part time work in Sydney

Options
  • 21-02-2014 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi

Student Visa allows 20 hours work while studying in Sydney. What kind of unskilled job pays best ?

Was looking into traffic patrol jobs, not sure if they would be keen on only part time workers? Also heard full driving license is a requirement ?

Thinking of going out early before course starts to find a job. Would it be best to just go around handing out CVs or does anyone know of sites that advertise vacancies?

Would do waiting tables, night shifts etc whatever if it pays well for the restrictive hours would have.
    Do you think it would be difficult to support self while only working 20 hours ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ruburd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Do you think it would be difficult to support self while only working 20 hours ?

In sydney, doing unskilled work, I'd be surprised if you have enough to pay the rent after you have paid the course fees for an international student.

Even if there are no immediate course fees (HECS/HELP) the rent will swallow most of a 20 hour of unskilled work week.

Traffic control pays fairly well, and has opportunities for out of hours work etc. so I'd definitely have a look. Getting your tickets will set you back a grand or so...

Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Dont waste your time on traffic control unless your a girl, I lost count how much companies told me they only higher girls.
    For me the best would be for a bar job that pays into the hand

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

astonaidan wrote: »
    Dont waste your time on traffic control unless your a girl, I lost count how much companies told me they only higher girls.
    For me the best would be for a bar job that pays into the hand

I've noticed it is always girls working on traffic control alright. Anytime I see some roadwork's I'm almost guaranteed to see an Irish girl with a stop/go sign!

What's the reason for only hiring girls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I've noticed it is always girls working on traffic control alright. Anytime I see some roadwork's I'm almost guaranteed to see an Irish girl with a stop/go sign!

What's the reason for only hiring girls?
    Well the reasoning behind it is that a driver is less likely to get pissed off at a little girleen when they stop them.
    Madness to think thats how it works but it really is, like I was put working in like Redfearn where the council towers are for two months and got threatened if I stopped this one guy again that hed stab me. There was no girls on our sites.
    Then I went working another job for the council in the same area and never had any problem.
    We were told to be arrogant doing it cause we were always put in rough areas, like it was enjoyable while doing it, just never got regular hours cause well if they werent working in Redfearn I wasnt called

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Anytime I see some roadwork's I'm almost guaranteed to see an Irish girl with a stop/go sign!

Yeah and have you noticed nearly always leaning on the Stop/Go sign while reading their phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Yeah and have you noticed nearly always leaning on the Stop/Go sign while reading their phone?

Ya must be fairly tough going though, just standing there all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ruburd

Thanks for the responses!

@astonaidan just wondering if you got your traffic patrol cards ? @AngryHippie mentioned the high cost
    Is it only possible to get them when over there or is there test / training you can do in Ireland? How many hours would you be working a week

Just about the bar work, heard license is needed to deal alcohol would it be advisable to take the test for it before going over ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

ruburd wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses!

@astonaidan just wondering if you got your traffic patrol cards ? @AngryHippie mentioned the high cost
    Is it only possible to get them when over there or is there test / training you can do in Ireland? How many hours would you be working a week

Just about the bar work, heard license is needed to deal alcohol would it be advisable to take the test for it before going over ?

I wouldn't bother doing any licences like that in Ireland, it's likely you would have to do them again anyway. You usually can get on RSA and Construction tickets course's at a days notice where as the wheels of finding employment turn a lot slower.

Advertisement