Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mount Temple Secondary School

Options
  • 21-02-2014 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,
    I am looking for information about this school for an option for my son next year. I understand that its very diverse and the numbers of pupils is huge. Anything I have heard is that its very relaxed (too relaxed) and that there is less focus/emphasis on the academic element. I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone with first hand experience of the school in recent years. Thanks.:):rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not sure if this might get more responses in Parenting, but I'll leave it here for a while.

From my own point of view (as someone who has interacted with Mount Temple delivering inservice and on work for the SEC), the 'relaxed' approach of Mount Temple is one of its great plusses. There IS more to life than exam results. That said, a bright motivated child will do well there, as they would anywhere else. Some excellent teachers on staff.

I have recommended the school to a couple of friends whose children had been bullied elsewhere (in both fee-paying and not) and they were both delighted with how their children were treated in Mount Temple.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lizzyno

Thanks for the feedback. My son has also been bullied in school a few years ago and I think that in a mixed school situation there is perhaps less bullying (I would like to think so anyway). He has been in an all boys school for the last 3 years so MT would be a real culture shock (in a good way).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

lizzyno wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am looking for information about this school for an option for my son next year. I understand that its very diverse and the numbers of pupils is huge. Anything I have heard is that its very relaxed (too relaxed) and that there is less focus/emphasis on the academic element. I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone with first hand experience of the school in recent years. Thanks.:):rolleyes:

From what I hear it is a very inclusive school that embraces diversity. I actually heard an interview on the radio about a student who was changing gender and the school were very supportive and nobody batted an eyelid. It also featured on the documentary "growing up gay" and came across very well. I find bright students will do well anywhere it's the average ones that could go either way. I agree with the previous poster there is more to life than exams. Is it hard to get into as I know it is hard to get a place in their southside equivalent

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Moved to Parenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Went there when I was a kid (late 80s). Great school back then anyway and a very relaxed atmosphere but with some great teachers. No uniforms though so you may end up with the competition of keeping up with the latest fashions (not me though.. I still have no fashion sense :p)

The Guidance counsellor was absolutely useless though but hopefully she's long gone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Went there when I was a kid (late 80s). Great school back then anyway and a very relaxed atmosphere but with some great teachers. No uniforms though so you may end up with the competition of keeping up with the latest fashions (not me though.. I still have no fashion sense :p)

The Guidance counsellor was absolutely useless though but hopefully she's long gone!

Forgot to mention no uniform! I find some of the girls "
    fashion" a bit inappropriate for school, those shorts that they all seem to wear with those tights that have a design on them like suspenders! I would prefer a uniform myself! But then again teenagers grow so quick and uniforms are expensive so some parents might see it as a plus!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MintyDoris

I left there in the late 90's. I still think it is one of the best schools around. Some excellent teachers and a great ethos. I'm still so glad I got the opportunity to go there.

I think that guidance counsellor was still there in my day :/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

MintyDoris wrote: »
    I think that guidance counsellor was still there in my day :/

Did a quick search.. she was still there till recently anyway and not much has changed it seems! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I was there til late 90's and I liked it. I couldn't tell you if it's relaxed as I never went anywhere else.

I agree with poster above that if you have a bit of motivation, bright etc. then you can do very well there, as in the teachers & ethos and facilities will be of benefit to you.

I think I liked all my teachers, I just did badly in subjects I hated, did well in everything else. The discipline seemed fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Glinda

Great school, am a parent of kids there at the moment and more than happy both with academic results and ethos etc.

One caution though, it's very popular and so not an easy school to get into unless you are Church of Ireland/Protestant and went to a feeder school.

I'm sure the school office could give you an idea of your chances of enrolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Glinda wrote: »
    One caution though, it's very popular and so not an easy school to get into unless you are Church of Ireland/Protestant and went to a feeder school.

I'm sure the school office could give you an idea of your chances of enrolling.

This! When I enquired about sending my son a couple of years ago the secretary said she would send me out an application form but there was slim to no chance of him getting a place. He didnt!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

This was my school (1994 - 2000) and I can't speak highly enough of it. Obviously my experiences are dated now but I loved it there.

Still a very popular school from what I've heard so best to get your information as early as you can. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

We were delighted to discover our kids are in one of the feeder schools (Green Lanes) and we have their names down for Mount Temple. The school seems to do very well in any of the stats I've seen in terms of progression to third level and the holistic ethos appeals to us. I'd prefer school uniforms but Mrs Sleepy is quite big on individualism and self expression and the academic reputation would be strong enough for me to overlook it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭yelselseivad

For the record - the Guidance teacher you are referring to has now retired!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Sandra.c

Yes indeed, that Guidance Counsellor is gone - I went there over 30 years ago and you can imagine my shock when I went for a meeting when my son was starting first year and saw her - but thankfully the following year she was gone. She gave me terrible advice all those years ago.
    I have two children there now and have to say its a great school - no nuns or priests which is a bonus for me, lots of common sense from the teachers and Principal, kids are allowed to have an opinion and express themselves. The motto is All Different/All Equal, and that is certainly the case.
    There is discipline, you will get a text in the morning if your child hasn't signed in, and messages from teachers if homework has not been submitted. I also get regular emails from the year heads.
    There is no uniform, but there is a dress code. No tracksuits/jogging bottoms/football jerseys or shorts above the knee, belly tops etc, and they are strict about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 briongloidi

Any up to date/ recent feedback on this school please. How would it be deemed academically today? I love the inclusivity/acceptance and co-ed side, but don’t want to scupper a child’s chances of employment if academically they’re behind or not driving kids to reach potential academically

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Mynydd2

I think it’s academic but without putting the emphasis on it. Progression rates to 3rd level is good and further increased in recent years. My child is happy there

Advertisement