Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you help me with some research I'm conducting on eco-spiritualities of work?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MyNameIsMethos

Bit late on the reply here, but hopefully it's not too late.

You'll probably have to elaborate somewhat. What sort of direction of info are you trying to find? ie. Is it the belief systems themselves you're wondering about, or the routes people have taken to their present belief system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 DrJohnCullen

Many thanks for responding! Here's the rationale for the project....

Max Weber warned that the 'protestant work ethic' would eventually be challenged by the eventual impact of utilising non‐renewable resources on the environment.

Various researchers have charted the emergence of new forms of work ethic and ‘spirits of capitalism’ since. Recently there has been a lot of discussion about an emerging ‘spiritual work ethic’ which ‘is closely tied to understandings of the relationship between organizations and nature.... [and] is related to concerns about the sustainability of global capitalism in the twenty‐first century’.
    There is no research foundation for claims such as this.

This project aims to address this by interviewing individuals who identify as ‘eco‐spiritual’ whilst simultaneously participating through
    work, enterprise and entrepreneurship in contemporary society.

There has been a huge amount of interest in sustainability in recent years. There has also been an enormous acceptance of the fact that many people are interested in nature-based faiths, or wish to acknowledge the natural world in their belief systems. Sustainability and eco-spirituality haven't been linked in any significant way in the same way that Weber linked capitalism with Calvinism. So this is really what I'm trying to explore.

In practice this means a one-hour phone interview where participants will be asked the following questions:

1. Please describe the work that you currently do.
    2. When (and how) did you become interested in this work?
    3. Please describe your religious/spiritual faith/beliefs.
    4. When (and how) did you become interested in this/these religious/spiritual faith/beliefs?
    5. If you believe that there is a connection between your beliefs and the work that you do, can you
    describe this relationship?

I can't pay for interviews at this stage (sorry), but hope to use my initial findings to secure some financing for expanding the work down the line.

If you'd like to participate or would like more information, please don't hesitate to email me at john.g.cullen@nuim.ie

Many thanks again.

John.

Advertisement