Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some suggestions please

Options
  • 21-02-2014 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

First time posting in here.
    I've only recently become interested in board & tabletop games.
    So far I've tried out Pandemic and Eldritch horror. I liked both of them although I'm still trying to get my head around parts Eldritch.
    I also dabbled with both Magic the gathering and Citadels.
    I'm more interested in the horror/sci fi theme.

So I'm looking for opinions on the following or even more suggestions:
    Room 25 - this looks quite interesting
    Zombicide
    Last night on Earth
    Dark Darker Darkest - not sure about this one
    Race for the Galaxy
    Eclipse
    Space Alert
    Galaxy trucker

I did look in to Arkham horror but decided on Eldritch for the time being as I figured Arkham would be too difficult to get in to at this state. I may be wrong?

I've being stuck on either Zombicide or Last night on Earth. Not sure which is more suitable. From what I've gathered Last night on Earth was considered the best in the zombie genre for quite a while.
    Dark Darker Darkest seemed really interesting in concept but after watching some you tube videos I'm not quite sure.

I'm also currently playing the eclipse port on the ipad which is interesting. But I don't know how far they diverged from the board game.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭rzaba666

Race for the Galaxy - this is just race card game, it is specific but very, very good. Once you get over those icons on cards it is really easy. Unlimited ways to win, lot of strategies and 4 expansions (2 Arcs that are not compatible with each other). Cheap. 10/10 (just me)

Eclipse - you will need big table for board version (and I mean BIG), iOS version is very same game. Other thing is board version can be very long (unlike iOS which can be played under 1 hr). Very good game and I think better to play real one. 9/10 (just me)

Zombicide - please note this is fully cooperative game unlike LNoE - very good if you are into Zombies theme, great production quality, can be played solo, can be played with kids, very expensive, few expansions available and lot of additional scenarios on the web. 8/10 (just me + kids).

Recommend to go over to Limerick on March 1st and check all of those games on Knavecon ;) You will be able to play those games and if like, buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭wayne040576

rzaba666 wrote: »
    Race for the Galaxy - this is just race card game, it is specific but very, very good. Once you get over those icons on cards it is really easy. Unlimited ways to win, lot of strategies and 4 expansions (2 Arcs that are not compatible with each other). Cheap. 10/10 (just me)

Eclipse - you will need big table for board version (and I mean BIG), iOS version is very same game. Other thing is board version can be very long (unlike iOS which can be played under 1 hr). Very good game and I think better to play real one. 9/10 (just me)

Zombicide - please note this is fully cooperative game unlike LNoE - very good if you are into Zombies theme, great production quality, can be played solo, can be played with kids, very expensive, few expansions available and lot of additional scenarios on the web. 8/10 (just me + kids).

Recommend to go over to Limerick on March 1st and check all of those games on Knavecon ;) You will be able to play those games and if like, buy them.

Thanks.
    I'll check out race for the galaxy then.
    I think Eclipse is out for now as my table probably isn't big enough.
    I'm still stuck on the zombie games. I've watched video play throughs of both. I do like the solo aspect of zombicide as it's a good way of learning. But I may go with LNoE based on the current prices.

Unfortunately I have a wedding to go to on the 1st so Knavecon is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭rzaba666

if you want to check Race for the Galaxy go to www.boardgamearena.com and play online (base set only), you can also download Keldon soft to play against AI (very good AI, keldon.net/rftg) - love the game but people I play with do not share this love ;)

Great, Thanks!

Will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

I assume you know you can find tons of information about these games on http://boardgamegeek.com/

I find the best way is to search for a game, go to the forums and filter for reviews then read a few that have a lot of thumbs or replies.

Of the games you listed Eclipse is my favourite. The iPad version is supposed to be basically identical (with one small rules bug that may have been fixed by now). It takes up quite a bit of space but it easily fits on a six seater dining table. With a bit of care I think it would fit on a four seater table, you might need to put player mats off to one side or on side tables.

The three zombie games you mentioned are all highly regarded and they seem to have slightly different qualities so you can't easily say one is the best. I like Zombicide at the moment but I'm not sure I'll still like it in six months. I already have the urge to tweak some of the rules.

Galaxy Trucker sounds great to me, I'd love to get a copy for myself but since I usually have five players I can't justify buying another four player game that will spend most of the time sitting on the shelf.

• Advertisement

HivemindXX wrote: »
    I assume you know you can find tons of information about these games on http://boardgamegeek.com/

I find the best way is to search for a game, go to the forums and filter for reviews then read a few that have a lot of thumbs or replies.

Of the games you listed Eclipse is my favourite. The iPad version is supposed to be basically identical (with one small rules bug that may have been fixed by now). It takes up quite a bit of space but it easily fits on a six seater dining table. With a bit of care I think it would fit on a four seater table, you might need to put player mats off to one side or on side tables.

The three zombie games you mentioned are all highly regarded and they seem to have slightly different qualities so you can't easily say one is the best. I like Zombicide at the moment but I'm not sure I'll still like it in six months. I already have the urge to tweak some of the rules.

Galaxy Trucker sounds great to me, I'd love to get a copy for myself but since I usually have five players I can't justify buying another four player game that will spend most of the time sitting on the shelf.

Thanks. I've been checking out boardgamegeek quite a bit. Have also checked out some of the dice tower videos & podcasts.
    I only have a four seater table. As an example, it's a struggle to play Eldritch horror on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rougebladez

Pandemic is a very good game also and can be played solo.
    Also very easy to teach and can be played during lunch in work if you have an hour.
    Will b teaching my 10 yo how to play this week.

I have Eclipse and the expansion and think its brilliant. Yes it's a bit big but well worth it if you can gather enough gamer friends, unfortunately I can't . The ios version is near identical so this helps me a lot.

Pandemic is a very good game also and can be played solo.
    Also very easy to teach and can be played during lunch in work if you have an hour.
    Will b teaching my 10 yo how to play this week.

I have Eclipse and the expansion and think its brilliant. Yes it's a bit big but well worth it if you can gather enough gamer friends, unfortunately I can't . The ios version is near identical so this helps me a lot.

Thanks,

I actually have Pandemic. It was the first game I bought and what got me interested. Will probably make a decision on a new game later today.

Advertisement