Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My parents won't let me repeat 5th year.

Options
  • 20-02-2014 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

My parents won't let me repeat 5th year, they're totally against the idea and think it's just my way of getting out of studying for the rest of the year. Which I think is a ridiculous excuse. Evidently not.

They never listen to me when I try to discuss it and it really upsets me because I'm frightened about next year. I am defnitely going to do very badly due to my lack of effort put in this year.

I've missed a month of school all together as I went to Spain for 2 weeks I had tonsilitis for another and just missed another 5 days as well.

My subjects are: Higher Level English, Maths, History, Biology and Art and Ordinary Irish and French.

I failed French for my Junior Cert as did most people in my year because my teacher honestly doesn't know what she's doing. I didn't want to do French for the leaving cert because I cant speak a word of it but my parents forced me to. I have to do ordinary level in this subject and I'd rather do a subject I could get a better grade in as well as do Higher Level.

I made a mistake with my subjects and would rather not do art. It's my best subject but I do not work well under pressure and it's a very tough subject to get a high grade in.

I want to repeat and put a decent effort in and treat 5th year as I would with 6th but my parents don't listen to me and think everything I say is naive and they're very controlloing. I'm nearly 17 and I can barely speak my mind to them...

I want to do architecture in UCD and with 2 ordinary level subjects and maths probably gonna be added to that...it will be impossible as I can't achieve Bs in every subject

I don't know what to do. I can't be happy because I'm just worrying all the time and feeling sick. I lose sleep worrying about the leaving cert.

Plus: if I did repeat Id want to move schools as the one I'm in now is weak and the average points from people every year is between 200-300 max. It's a small school about 300 students. I offered to pay for any expenses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

Look it's not the end of the world there's alot of people in similiar circumstances I'm sure. :)
    I'd say you're better off going into sixth year and repeating that if needs be. Imagine repeating 5th year and then perhaps repeating 6th year also?

Look on the bright side, you're acknowledging now that you have to put in more work. Alot of people study for the leaving cert after christmas and do ok... Start putting in the work now. Start working through chapters, it's the only way. Make a study plan and focus on weak chapters and do all your homework. Start getting into a good routine now and keep it up. Hopefully Architecture won't rise in points and I don't think it will! I know how horrible the prospect of study sounds, but you'll thank yourself later :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 teach432

Remember that your parents have your best interests at heart, even if you don't necessarily agree. Just look at the entry requirements for your preferred course. UCD's pure Architecture course requires at least a D3 at OL in a third language. So you're very lucky they didn't let you drop French to begin with!

Try not to get overwhelmed by the whole thing. Feb of 5th year is not to late to pull things together. Start studying the basics of each subject and build week by week. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Dude, just try and keep up as best as you can and even if you're still a bit behind by May, you'll have potentially three months to catch up on stuff while a good portion of your class won't be looking at anything and forgetting a lot of what they had learned.

If it were me, I'd find repeating fifth year would put a lot of pressure on sixth year as repeating again would feel a lot less viable.

RE: architecture, I might be way off here, but I think DIT have a pretty good architecture course that is a lot less points driven than the UCD one? You've to do a lot more in regards to portfolios and whatnot though. Wouldn't be a bad fallback option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

I would add, it's unlikely the Department of Education will want to let you repeat either, as far as I know you'd most likely have to go private, but as with the other posters, February of 5th year leaves you with plenty of time to get your sh** together!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dee15

I would add, it's unlikely the Department of Education will want to let you repeat either, as far as I know you'd most likely have to go private, but as with the other posters, February of 5th year leaves you with plenty of time to get your sh** together!

I actually think they would let you repeat as you've missed a good bit of time, I missed almost 3 months due to illness and I was given a place with no problems whatsoever! However it really depends on your school.
    Honestly though, the worst thing you can do is panic and start to think that you don't know anything, you'll end up missing more days with the worry and stress and in my case anyway, I ended up sicker than before!
    As others have said, you can do work during the summer so right now, just concentrate on not missing anymore time and keeping up with the work from now on and try to relax :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭5p9arw38djv2b4

I changed my subjects in march of 5th year, dropped history for economics for the same reason you want to drop art. It was a really good decision for me, but I had to t my head down and work hard, and playing catch up was great motivation for me to work hard! I also didn't really start to study properly until around march in 5th year, so dont worry it's not too late. I would say it is more important to concentrate and put your work in. Make sure you keep on your language, and if you are serious then work on your French over the summer. Do grinds or summer school. I had a very poor language teacher but found a great grinds teacher and she made such a difference.

Remember a lot of people join a grinds school in 6th year and take up new subjects, covering the syllabus in one year, so it is not too late.

But you need to be confident you can do this, so do some proper research about what school you want to go to, if you want to stay or move - and remember it is also take time to settle into a new school, make friends etc. Then sit down properly with your parents and talk to them as an adult, younare doing this for your future, so make them understand that. Show them your plans, written down, subjects, points required, hours of study, what is involved in changing school, etc. You could also try visiting a career guidance person or similar?

Good luck with it, if you put the time in you will do great

Advertisement