Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regional Geography Help

Options
  • 20-02-2014 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

I'm a little confused about what case studies are actually relevant to the exam. It seems that the BMW, GDA and Paris Basin, Mezzogiorno are all that really come up in the exam.

Is it really necessary to know
    - Administrative regions in Ireland and France.
    - The Gaeltacht and Belgium
    - Protestantism in the North and the Islamic World
    - Boundary changes in the Gaeltacht, Gerrymandering and Poland.

I find it hard to apply these case studies to actual questions.
    As in, what would I use to answer:
    Examine the interaction between economic, political and/or cultural activities in any region that you have studied.

Or A region is an area which may be identified by one or more characteristics. Briefly explain this statement using a sketch map to illustrate an example or examples.

Many Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Firstly, while your meant to study five regions, you can drop one european and one Irish and will still most likely be covered. Learn primary,secondary and tertiary economic activities in each. Learn one cultural region, and one urban region for each. The expansion of the EU is one that often comes up, usually based on Ireland. Also, population distribution seems to be a favourite on the paper in recent years.

Gryffindor wrote: »

Or A region is an area which may be identified by one or more characteristics. Briefly explain this statement using a sketch map to illustrate an example or examples.

Many Thanks!

For this question, you can use literally anything i.e. cultural region or else discuss the characteristics of a core/peripheral region.

Overall, I think regional geography is the only section of the paper where you can't get away with just learning off essays to regurgitate. There is a lot of variation so you need to know your stuff from the syllabus itself as well as learning points to include in essays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Gryffindor

Thanks! I think actually having to apply and not just regurgitate the info was a bit of a shock to the system for geography! :p

I am still a little confused about random case studies like 'The Islamic World' that are in the Sue Honan textbook. I'm assuming our teacher isn't correct in making us learn all four 'cultural region' case studies?

I wish the marking schemes were more detailed..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Gryffindor wrote: »
    Thanks! I think actually having to apply and not just regurgitate the info was a bit of a shock to the system for geography! :p

I am still a little confused about random case studies like 'The Islamic World' that are in the Sue Honan textbook. I'm assuming our teacher isn't correct in making us learn all four 'cultural region' case studies?

I wish the marking schemes were more detailed..

Well we only did three cultural case studies so you can probably drop one if you want.

As for the marking schemes, they are actually incredibly generous. While I don't recommend it, you can make up stuff that kind of sounds correct and plausible and they will give you marks. The only section where you can't bull***t everything is physical.

Advertisement