Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Displaying Lego - anyway to stop dust?

Options
  • 20-02-2014 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I have a large F1 car (8386-1) that I want to display - I have a 'spot' for it on top of a storage unit in my home office - just wondering is there any way to stop it getting too dusty? My memory of having lego on shelves at home as a kid was that after a few months they got very dusty and where hard to clean.

Given it's size (and the F1 theme) I guess I could use a pillow case or similar as a dust sheet? But I can imagine it would probably end up covered 99.9% of the time as I'd forget to take the cover off...

Paddy

PS It's been in it's box, largely assembled, since I bought it in 2005 or so - so it isn't dusty right now....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, not really. Though to make it easier, just buy some compressed air cans and give it a blow now and then. It will be easier then dusting it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Clear plastic container inverted over top of it?
    eg. Samla boxes from Ikea?

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

You could get a custom made display case? Theres chap on Adverts that makes them to order: http://www.adverts.ie/crazy-random-stuff/model-truck-display-units/4487518

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LEGOJim1989

Always been a problem, so I get a lot of cases from here. Had a good experience over the years, here is my latest I took a pic of the other day! Yes, they have backgrounds which is fun and adds to displaying opps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Dust is what's stopping me building the majority of sets I have. Had looked at getting some WickedBrick cases but they're expensive enough and assume they come from the UK so will have customs etc on top.

@LEGOJim1989 what are customs charges like on the iDisplayIt deliveries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭banie01

As others have said, closed displays either transparent boxes or glass fronted display cases. I don't do Lego myself but I do make and display aircraft models and unless you are putting them into a "closed" display? Dust is a PITA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭monseiur

Buy a few sheets of clear 4mm polycarbonate and make your own display cases. It's easy to cut any shape or size and a bead of clear silicone will stick it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Get one of those magic dusters (long shiny fibres), and flick it over it every couple of days.

You get them in the likes of Dunnes or Homestore & More.

This sort of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Dust is just a part of life when you collect Lego. I have a selection of cheap paint brushes I got in Lidl; I find them better than feather dusters and compressed air cans. You can really get into the nooks and crannies with the different sized brushes. Also a blast of a cold hairdryer can do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I get made to measure display cases from Sora-shop.de

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭j14

Check out the "Classic" range of Aquariums on this site and then just put it over the Lego set.

https://aquaremedyireland.com/product-category/aquariums-paludariums-opti-white-aquariums/aquariums-and-fish-tanks/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭omri

A soft paint brush or a little blower (the latter I used for an open air bench pc) will work just fine. Once every couple of weeks. Cheap and minimum effort required assuming that you tidy your house in a first place that little extra job shouldn’t be a problem 😂

Advertisement