Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PS3 worth selling or reparing?

• 20-02-2014 3:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,309 ✭✭✭✭

Guys I have no knowledge of these things and my question may well be a bit vague but a couple of months ago we had a lightning storm here that killed the PS3 console and also a 40" tv in the young lads room. Insurance have paid up thankfully but Im still out of pocket though.

I had the tv checked out at the time and it was horsed but Im wondering about the PS3 console. Out of all the bits and bobs the lads have in their room (Xbox, PC, Sky box etc) these were the only 2 items not plugged in to a surge protector so obviously they get a blast of electricity.

I never got the console checked out but given the fact that it suffered whatever damage from a power surge would it be worth selling even if only for parts? Perhaps some of you know what exactly is damaged in these situations and if it wasnt overly expensive I may consider a repair.

I have since got them a new console so this damaged one is now surplus to requirements as such.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭budman9

Is it "no picture" problem or PS3 has no power at all when connected to socket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,309 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just asked there and Im told its operational as such - turns on and off and the controls/system appears to work so in summary its a "no picture" problem.

Is your PS3 connected to TV on HDMI? If yes, try to connect console on AV cable. After swap wires you must reset video settings: when PS3 is in standby mode, turn it on and hold power button until first "beep".

budman9 wrote: »
    Is your PS3 connected to TV on HDMI? If yes, try to connect console on AV cable. After swap wires you must reset video settings: when PS3 is in standby mode, turn it on and hold power button until first "beep".
    I do know it was connected with a hdmi cable.

Connecting via an AV cable? Is that a scart lead?

Sorry havent much knowledge of these consoles and how they work

Yes scart lead.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. I'll check it out a little later. :)

Lighting storm could fried just HDMI Control IC Chip that's why PS3 works but it's no signal on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Celeron Media

If the fuse on the power cord was not blown and the system turns on. I couldn't imagine there would be any electrical damage to the circuit. Might be just a simple av/hdmi cable issue. Try what budman9 said about holding the power until the second beep and release to reset the av.

Worst case scenario, blown capacitor or the gpu needs a reflow.

one of the lads has switched HDMI cables and used the AV cable and has done the reset on all and still no picture

So back to the original question. Would it be worth selling if only for parts or the likes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Celeron Media

The HDD, Laser, PSU, Shell housing and controllers would be worth something alright. Is it a Phat or Slim model?

Sorry, meant to reply earlier. Its the fat (phat??) one - 80gb version.

muffler wrote: »
    So back to the original question. Would it be worth selling if only for parts or the likes?
    Just a wee bump on this to see if anyone else has any comments or opinions.

Thanks. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

If you've no interested in paying for a repair then ship it for parts on Adverts.

I could possibly take the laser off you if it matches a broken housemate's PS3. The hard drive, case and controllers would fetch a few quid too and then the motherboard itself might be sellable for somebody who wants to try fix it.

If you've no interested in paying for a repair then ship it for parts on Adverts.

I could possibly take the laser off you if it matches a broken housemate's PS3. The hard drive, case and controllers would fetch a few quid too and then the motherboard itself might be sellable for somebody who wants to try fix it.
    As I'm in Donegal I would most likely have to post to potential buyers if I put up on the likes of Adverts. It would probably be damned near as cheap to ship the entire console as breaking it down into single components and apart from that I wouldnt want to be messing about with removing bits and bobs so would probably prefer to sell the whole unit if possible.

Any idea of what price I should be trying to sell for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Around €50 is the guide price on Adverts and I'd say it's pretty close to it. There are quite a few of them though, so you might be hanging on to it for a while. Sell controllers separately if you're not getting another one :)

Advertisement