Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ranelagh chase tonight (Wed)

Options
  • 20-02-2014 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/three-people-injured-following-dramatic-city-centre-garda-chase-30025605.html
    Three people injured following dramatic city centre garda chase

A dramatic garda chase of a stolen van ended in chaotic scenes on the streets of Dublin with three people injured and up to 10 cars damaged

A stolen Eircom van caused a trail of destruction before losing a front wheel and smashing into a wall in the main street of Ranelagh village.

The Eircom van had been taken at St Stephen’s Green just before 10pm and was pursued by garda patrol cars and the garda helicopter........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

Just as well it was a van that was stolen, it is one of the few types of vehicles which AGS vehicles are capable of pursuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Sure hope no one was handcuffed and that they said please and thank you when he sat himself into the patrol car

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

bravestar wrote: »
    Sure hope no one was handcuffed and that they said please and thank you when he sat himself into the patrol car

That's a bit of a cynical post my good man....:mad:

Are you inferring that our Civic Guards would be anything other than civil and understanding towards a young (perhaps misunderstood) member of the public ?

Shame on You :rolleyes:

But...It's not all bad,as it looks like these poor folks were treated with the respect and dignity the remainder of us pay so cpmprehensively for......by the looks of it he even had time for a ciggie ....;)

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/van-rampage-charge-man-banned-from-driving-while-out-on-bail-30028990.html

Another satisfied customer of the Courts Service I'd suggest ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

That article is shocking, in the one article I can't determine if the driver was bailed or remanded?

At first he is bailed then he says he was remanded.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    That's a bit of a cynical post my good man....:mad:

Are you inferring that our Civic Guards would be anything other than civil and understanding towards a young (perhaps misunderstood) member of the public ?

Shame on You :rolleyes:

Haha, this is what I'm referring to, for anyone who hasn't seen it

http://www.courts.ie/Judgments.nsf/09859e7a3f34669680256ef3004a27de/964ff98054a8983e80257c83005d297d?OpenDocument

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Great to see confirmation of "How stuff works" in our Magic Republic....

Ranelagh Village has been suffering greatly from a lack of effective parking regulations,which leads to nightly conflicts between cars,buses,trucks,taxi's and Telecom Vans.

The culmination of this ongoing struggle came last week with the Stolen Telecom Van Incident,which could well have been a mass-fatality situation. :mad:

Incredibly,lo and behold,we now have the sudden appearance of some DOUBLE YELLOW lines between the Bia Blásta Restaurant and Cullenswood Road...HALLEUJAH :eek:......well sorta-kinda...because DCC could'nt bring themselves to fully address the problem by Double Yellow Lining the frontage of the new Bank of Ireland premises on the corner of Sallymount Avenue/Ranelagh Village,which is THE major cause of friction due to imbicility along that roadway.

SO..it would seem that in order for the "Authorities" to effectively complete the necessary work,it will require another Major Traffic Incident,rather than simply recognising and reacting to dangerous situations as other,more civilized,Capital Cities worldwide might do....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭irishrgr

Not trying to hijack the thread, but in reading the court document above, it seems that handcuffing is not considerd the norm when making arrests. Is this true? I'm stunned!!!! Do the Gardai have to show a person is resisting or violent in order to cuff someone? What about officer safety? I assume most Garad cars don't have prisioner cages, so whats to stop a subject having a go wheile being transported to the nick, especially if not handcuffed????

We handcuff EVERYONE, no matter what be they grannies or 12 year olds. It's an officer safety issue. Maybe, just maybe, in the most extreme of circumstances, we'd handcuff in front (injury, illnees, etc), but that is very rare. It's a department policy, if we showed up at Central Booking with a prisioner not cuffed, you'd be in all sorts of trouble....

Gobsmacked.....

irishrgr wrote: »
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but in reading the court document above, it seems that handcuffing is not considerd the norm when making arrests. Is this true? I'm stunned!!!! Do the Gardai have to show a person is resisting or violent in order to cuff someone? What about officer safety? I assume most Garad cars don't have prisioner cages, so whats to stop a subject having a go wheile being transported to the nick, especially if not handcuffed????

We handcuff EVERYONE, no matter what be they grannies or 12 year olds. It's an officer safety issue. Maybe, just maybe, in the most extreme of circumstances, we'd handcuff in front (injury, illnees, etc), but that is very rare. It's a department policy, if we showed up at Central Booking with a prisioner not cuffed, you'd be in all sorts of trouble....

Gobsmacked.....

There is a thread on this court decision already.

Gobsmacked.....

But what about their rights! Blah blah blah winge winge winge ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭irishrgr

Mods,

Sorry,didn't see the other thread until I had already posted? Anyway you can move my remarks over to that thread?

Thanks,

A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

Gobsmacked.....

Well think of it this way, much better business potential there for the legal industry if God forbid some low life did interfere with a Garda while he is driving the scum bag back to the station.
    Consider all the ensuing cases against the state for God knows what should the patrol car crash and cause damage to others.

Advertisement