Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collateral Question

Options
  • 19-02-2014 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

I understand that there is a 6 year hold on assets once they are inherited (i.e. upon issuance of a grant) so that they may not be sold in that period.

Can they still be used as collateral for a loan?

Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Any security held by the bank cannot be sold unless the bank consent to the sale.

If they can take a legal charge over it then it can be pledged as security.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Any security held by the bank cannot be sold unless the bank consent to the sale.

If they can take a legal charge over it then it can be pledged as security.

Thanks for the response.

In the eyes of the law, is using an asset as collateral as good as selling that asset?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

No - you are still the legal owner but the bank has rights i.e. the power to call up their loan and realise their security if you default.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    No - you are still the legal owner but the bank has rights i.e. the power to call up their loan and realise their security if you default.

Oh ok, so if one were to default before the 6 year limit they would have to pay the back taxes because they lose the relief :cool:

Thanks for your help!

Advertisement