Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Career Advice

Options
  • 19-02-2014 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am nearly finished my law degree and I am wondering what to do next in order to secure a decent traineeship. Should I complete a Masters and if so, which one is of particular value? Work experience? Experience abroad? Also is it worthwhile to continue learning a language? Any help will be much appreciated:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Search function will yield about a bazzillion results. You inquiry is very vague - what are you looking to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

Sorry, I should clarify. I would ideally like to train with a large commercial firm but would not mind a medium sized one. I will have a 2.1 BCL degree and just wondering what to add to my CV to make me a bit more appealing on the market.

Internships, involvement with student activities such as mooting, debating and any Law Society your institution might have, FLAC. Just a few I can think of.

More specifically the Advocate Moot is a great one for aspiring commercial solicitors.

Thanks mate appreciate it. Would an extra language,say German, be a plus?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭number13

Sorry to jump on board but could someone answer this question. Im in the same boat as carlowbruiser. I have law degree but looking to take the next step. Solicitor or barrister? Just wondering about barrister if i take the weekend part time course and decide not to devil (mortagage and kids). is there any benefit in doing that or would I just be wasting my time if i didnt devil ?
    please help

• Advertisement

Depends on the firm and whether you also have some knowledge of Civil Law jurisdictions, I would imagine.
    number13 wrote: »
    Sorry to jump on board but could someone answer this question. Im in the same boat as Francisco Colossal Certificate. I have law degree but looking to take the next step. Solicitor or barrister? Just wondering about barrister if i take the weekend part time course and decide not to devil (mortagage and kids). is there any benefit in doing that or would I just be wasting my time if i didnt devil ?
    please help

You can go in-house or into the Civil Service, how viable either option is with no practice experience is debatable. That said I've never heard a bad word about the BL course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

I think that A&L have a German language unit.

234 wrote: »
    I think that A&L have a German language unit.

To be honest I suspect will all be speaking German/Chinese soon enough :P

To be honest I suspect will all be speaking German/Chinese soon enough tongue.png

That's true :) I have been doing much German study in the last year for various reasons and was wondering would it be worthwhile getting a certificate in eg. business German

Bepolite wrote: »
    Depends on the firm and whether you also have some knowledge of Civil Law jurisdictions, I would imagine.

You can go in-house or into the Civil Service, how viable either option is with no practice experience is debatable. That said I've never heard a bad word about the BL course.

So you think its inadvisable ? anyone ever done this or am I in dreamland in even thinking this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

So you think its inadvisable ? anyone ever done this or am I in dreamland in even thinking this?

Lots of people get the BL and then dont devil. But you will need some way to get onto the career ladder, they dont hand out jobs even with the BL so you'll need to use your head and find a way in to wherever it is you want to work.

What options would be available without devilling in law ? Would a company hire an in house advisor without legal practise ? Not much hope of getting into the public service at the moment :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

What options would be available without devilling in law ? Would a company hire an in house advisor without legal practise ? Not much hope of getting into the public service at the moment :D.

Yeah they would, but this is what I mean, you'd have a better chance if you had some qualification/diploma/experience in the same area that the particular company operate in.

Or for a general approach, there is a diploma in "in house practice" here: http://www.lawsociety.ie/S14-Diploma-in-In-House-Practice.aspx

My experience is that you really need to package yourself and tailor yourself to sell yourself. Off-the-rack suits are ten a penny nowadays.

Advertisement