Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running track in Kilbarrack

Options
  • 19-02-2014 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭

Had a look at a running 'track' in Kilbarrack (Greendale rd) during a lunchtime run today. Condition of the surface is so-so. Just wondering...
    - Does anyone use it for training? Any issues?
    - Is it a 400m track?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Looks like a 400m track to me (on google maps anyway!) Never knew it was there. I live a few miles away so would definitely use. How's access and the general condition of the track?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

I used it a few years ago and found the surface decent. It's 400m alright. The only issue is that plenty of people like to walk their dogs on it so you end up having to take a wide berth quite regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Looks like a 400m track to me (on google maps anyway!) Never knew it was there. I live a few miles away so would definitely use. How's access and the general condition of the track?

There's no problem with access. It's like a public park. Surface is compacted fine stone. There's a fair bit of weed growth but nothing to trip you up. You may have to use 'lane 2' as the grass has encroached on the inner track. May not be the best place for late night running going by the evidence of charred debris and beer cans!
    I used it a few years ago and found the surface decent. It's 400m alright. The only issue is that plenty of people like to walk their dogs on it so you end up having to take a wide berth quite regularly.

Thanks KU. I'll just have to bring a bag of bones to chuck in the middle to occupy all the dogs!

...or maybe I should just join a club and use their track!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Ferris B wrote: »
    There's no problem with access. It's like a public park. Surface is compacted fine stone. There's a fair bit of weed growth but nothing to trip you up. You may have to use 'lane 2' as the grass has encroached on the inner track. May not be the best place for late night running going by the evidence of charred debris and beer cans!

Thanks for the info. Will take a look during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Not the best area to be running around in the dark. Would definitely advise joining a running club, if you're looking to use a track

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Were is this..?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

It's by roseglen road, next to the foxhound pub. Kilbarrick united play on the pitch in the middle of the track

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

I started a thread when I came across a track in Clontarf on Google Maps. It turned out that the images they use are 2-3 years old and the track had been turned into astroturf soccer pitches. Damn the ever growing popularity of 5 a side football! :mad:

I was however directed towards the track in Kilbrrack and took the below picture at the time if anyone is interested. This was taken about 2 years ago but cinder tracks are very low maintenance so I imagine the quality of the surface hasn't diminished much in the mean time

Kilbarrack Cinder Track

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Was passing by today and had a look. Definitely a 400m track. A bit overgrown but definitely runnable (is that a word?). Might be handy for the odd session.

Greendale_track.JPG

Advertisement