Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Server migration tools on server 2012

Options
  • 19-02-2014 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭

Has anybody had any experience migrating a file server from 2003 to 2012? Seems straightforward enough using server migration tools but have a couple of concerns with file permissions and length of file names.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Its very straight forward using file server migration tool 1.2. If you have any questions ask away.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

I've used CA Arcserve to copy from one server on to another !
    In the job options,you have the option to copy the security permissions too.Full log with all files been copied too...

I'll try as a short quick dirty option running a Windows 2003 backup then do a full restore on to new pre-shared folder on new server.Depending on number/size of files it may not be worth but at least you'll have a full backup ! :)

Always,after migration,i use TreeSize Pro to check files / folders in size and numbers.
    Also,always always,keep a snapshot of ALL files before migration AND after migration on the older server.
    You'll see how users are reporting "missed" files since the new server went in... Having the option of before and after migration eliminates any techie issues :)

Have fun...

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭tim9002

Dell have a product called Secure Copy (used to be ScriptLogic) - http://software.dell.com/products/secure-copy/

Advertisement