Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Confidential Recipient sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TheHappyChappy

I'm now wondering how corrupt the Garda & our Minister for Justice are......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Surely it was this man's job to encourage people to whistleblow not deter them. He is a solicitor and should have known better.
    It was also a paid position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I heard part of an interview with Maurice McCabe on Morning Ireland this morning. His view was that sacking Oliver Connolly was "shooting the messenger" and that Gardaí wishing to report irregularities now have "nobody to turn to".

My understanding is that AGS members can now make complaints directly to GSOC, but McCabe didn't seem satisfied with this new arrangement (in the interview segment I heard anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

As it stands, members of AGS cannot make 'whistleblower' reports to GSOC. This is one of the legislative changes that the Government are apparently considering.

Having said that, I don't see how much difference such a legislative change would make, given the level of antipathy & distrust held by the majority of AGS members towards GSOC.

Bosh wrote: »
    Having said that, I don't see how much difference such a legislative change would make, given the level of antipathy & distrust held by the majority of AGS members towards GSOC.

There also seems to be more than a little antipathy and distrust among AGS members towards the current MoJ (if numerous posts in this forum are any indication).

You can imagine how Joe Public feels.

Police service, health services, political parties, Government agencies, local authorities, banks, Church, charities and more besides -- all shown to be deficient to one degree or another.

Not much reason to have confidence in the institutions of this "republic", is there? I wonder whether 2016 will be a celebration or a requiem for dead ideals...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    There also seems to be more than a little antipathy and distrust among AGS members towards the current MoJ (if numerous posts in this forum are any indication).

Police service, health services, political parties, Government agencies, local authorities, banks, Church, charities and more besides -- all shown to be deficient to one degree or another.

Not much reason to have confidence in the institutions of this "republic", is there? I wonder whether 2016 will be a celebration or a requiem for dead ideals...

Half full or half empty horse?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Bosh wrote: »
    As it stands, members of AGS cannot make 'whistleblower' reports to GSOC. This is one of the legislative changes that the Government are apparently considering.

The guards have said they have no confidence in the ombudsman commission, the AGSI stated the commission "has no regards for the laws of this land"

Class act.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The more important issue is the distrust the public feel towards the gaurds.

The husband of murdered woman Sylvia Roche is suing the guards and the state for four million. I hope she gets ever penny. As a member of society who was let down badly by gaurds this crap needs to stop. People need to do their job and protect members of society who need protecting.

It's all important, imho. I think there needs to be mutual respect all round.

Not sure how we get there from here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

It's all important, imho. I think there needs to be mutual respect all round.

Not sure how we get there from here though.

I knew a nice good decent guard once, guess he's corrupt now that he's painted with that big brush!

• Advertisement

Shady Tady wrote: »
    I knew a nice good decent guard once, guess he's corrupt now that he's painted with that big brush!

Unfortunately some people think that people pointing out scandals within the gaurds are calling every gaurd corrupt. It's a strawman and gaurds would do better to address issues within their ranks than criticise those who make raise them.

Is this as an issue not disturbing to gaurds? How people who report illegality are dealt with?

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Unfortunately some people think that people pointing out scandals within the gaurds are calling every gaurd corrupt. It's a strawman and gaurds would do better to address issues within their ranks than criticise those who make raise them.

Who thinks that? It's only stupid and ignorant people who would jump to those conclusions!

Who thinks that? It's only stupid and ignorant people who would jump to those conclusions!

Yes indeed. I agree. Sometimes when an issue arises EG corruption some stupid and ignorant people jump in and say "not all gaurds are corrupt". No on thinks all gaurds are corrupt. They do a very important job but some people seem to think that addressing a scandal within the gaurds is akin to calling all of them corrupt. A siege mentality.

Agree 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The more important issue is the distrust the public feel towards the gaurds.

The husband of murdered woman Sylvia Roche is suing the guards and the state for four million. I hope she gets ever penny. As a member of society who was let down badly by gaurds this crap needs to stop. People need to do their job and protect members of society who need protecting.

I may be mistook on this,but did'nt the Gardai involved in the McGrath case OPPOSE his application for bail ?

My reading of this issue,is that the failing is squarely and continually lying at the feet of a highly suspect Supreme Court,whose judgements have effectively browbeaten the Judiciary in lower courts into essentially facilitating ongoing criminal activity by careerist criminals.

For example,last weeks explosively insane high-speed crash in Ranelagh..

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0220/505486-ranelagh/

What must Garda Nathan Burke feel like after being involved in investigating what was a hairsbreath away from a multiple fatality.

His considered testimony might as well have been rolled up and thrown in the bin for all the credence it was given.

The Supreme Court has effectively prioritized the "rights" of disturbed,or otherwise malevolent individuals,over those of the "Ordinaries" who appear to be merit no protection whatever from the Supreme Court's members.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I may be mistook on this,but did'nt the Gardai involved in the McGrath case OPPOSE his application for bail ?

My reading of this issue,is that the failing is squarely and continually lying at the feet of a highly suspect Supreme Court,whose judgements have effectively browbeaten the Judiciary in lower courts into essentially facilitating ongoing criminal activity by careerist criminals.

What must Garda Nathan Burke feel like after being involved in investigating what was a hairsbreath away from a multiple fatality.

His considered testimony might as well have been rolled up and thrown in the bin for all the credence it was given.

The Supreme Court has effectively prioritized the "rights" of disturbed,or otherwise malevolent individuals,over those of the "Ordinaries" who appear to be merit no protection whatever from the Supreme Court's members.

True, but everyone loves to blame the Gardai. Sure it's An Garda Siochana's fault that hotdogs come in packs of 10 but the buns come in packs of 8.

now I've hunger with my anger

bravestar wrote: »
    True, but everyone loves to blame the Gardai. Sure it's An Garda Siochana's fault that hotdogs come in packs of 10 but the buns come in packs of 8.

Ridiculous statement. There has been incidents of corruption and corrupt people in the gardai. The desire to deal with that does not equal blaming all gaurds. Again siege mentality will only add to public distrust.

AlekSmart wrote: »

You won't hear my defending the Irish legal system. The judges are out of touch and to politicized imo. However you can't say that there wasn't some worrying behavior from gardai in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Ridiculous statement. There has been incidents of corruption and corrupt people in the gardai. The desire to deal with that does not equal blaming all gaurds. Again siege mentality will only add to public distrust.

Well in light of recent developments, I guess your right. Blame the Irish urkrainians, not Russians.

bravestar wrote: »
    Well in light of recent developments, I guess your right. Blame the Irish urkrainians, not Russians.

It's fantastic to see the continuing trivialisation of criminal activity in the gaurds. No wonder so many major investigations lead no where.

It's fantastic to see the continuing trivialisation of criminal activity in the gaurds. No wonder so many major investigations lead no where.

You might get the responses that suit you in After Hours or Politics.

Serving members are not going to be making comments on the two on going investigations.

I admire your crusade against every garda in the country, however the vast majority of people in the country have confidence in the force. They get this because they are an unarmed force who police by consent and police with limited resources and equipment. Many are deeply involved in their communities and have been there for people both on and off duty, there will always be failures in any organisations of their size, they are way ahead of most Other forces. Sorry for killing your buzz!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

You really don't know what you are posting about do you?

I admire your crusade against every garda in the country, however the vast majority of people in the country have confidence in the force. They get this because they are an unarmed force who police by consent and police with limited resources and equipment. Many are deeply involved in their communities and have been there for people both on and off duty, there will always be failures in any organisations of their size, they are way ahead of most Other forces. Sorry for killing your buzz!

Every gaurd in the country? Wanting to deal with individual gaurds corruption is a crusade against every gaurd in the country? I pity the ombudsman having to face attitudes like that.

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    You really don't know what you are posting about do you?

I'm a victim of past gaurd inaction (not an open case) I have since received a great apology from the gaurd in question but many are not so lucky. I want to make sure that gaurds who committed crimes or covered up abuse (for example) to be investigated. Is there anyone who disagrees with that or think that means a crusade against gaurds? I know it's a hard job (one I couldn't do) but allegations of wrong doing cannot be ignored.

The difference with other organisations is that they correct their mistakes.

The difference with other organisations is that they correct their mistakes.

Well that's enlightening! Can I beg to differ? There are failures in many sectors both private and public, give me an example of an organisation even half the size of AGS that dosent have problems and solves them all? You are anti everything AGS. You thank every anti garda post in every thread you are on. Methinks you may have issues and your bitterness is clouding your judgment! Was it a ticket or a drunk driving arrest?

• Advertisement

Well that's enlightening! Can I beg to differ? There are failures in many sectors both private and public, give me an example of an organisation even half the size of AGS that dosent have problems and solves them all? You are anti everything AGS. You thank every anti garda post in every thread you are on. Methinks you may have issues and your bitterness is clouding your judgment! Was it a ticket or a drunk driving arrest?

AGS is not just another organisation - thats the point

Advertisement