Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RDF info?

Options
  • 19-02-2014 4:37pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am having a comparatively easy time of researching a relative who died in the CEF at the Battle of Vimy Ridge. The Canadians are terrific at keeping and passing on records. But I have two other relatives who were in the RDF and survived the war.

Are there any records available for the RDF where you can research soldiers to get any information about their time served during the war?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I am having a comparatively easy time of researching a relative who died in the CEF at the Battle of Vimy Ridge. The Canadians are terrific at keeping and passing on records. But I have two other relatives who were in the RDF and survived the war.

Are there any records available for the RDF where you can research soldiers to get any information about their time served during the war?

Yes, there are records on Ancestry.com, these include medal index cards, some pension papers, and approx 60% of service records which survived the WW2 blitz.If you do not have ancestry access,you could put up their details here or PM me and I will have look for you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Many thanks kabakuyu. I took out a months subscription a while back, but medal cards are all I came up with. I was hoping there would be records held elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

Canadian and Australian records are well digitised now; some NZ too. Biggest issue with UK records is the destruction of so many records during WW2.

On Ancestry, it is worth doing a separate search in the Silver War Badge rolls as they don't show up if you select UK & Irish records only.

Do you have their numbers? They can be used to give a hint about enlistment date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Many thanks kabakuyu. I took out a months subscription a while back, but medal cards are all I came up with. I was hoping there would be records held elsewhere.

Maybe try again,records are being constantly updated.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Do you have their numbers? They can be used to give a hint about enlistment date.

Royal Dublin Fusiliers 3/25277 Private
    Army Veterinary Corps SE/31123 Private

and

Royal Dublin Fusiliers 25290 Private
    Labour Corps 382875 Private
    Royal Dublin Fusiliers 41472 Private
    Connaught Rangers 32434 Private

• Advertisement
Advertisement