Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Education

Options
  • 19-02-2014 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭

Having listened to a piece on the radio about pure in heart.

What education should teenagers receive about human development in schools.

I think they should receive a compressive factual scientific education about human sexuality first of all including how contraceptives work and there should be an exam on all of this.

Totally separate to that they should be education about sexuality that focus on saying no and saying yes, issues around alcohol, issues around consent, self esteem, per pressure, friendship, love, and emotion development.

Totally separate to this they should look at various religious, social and cultural beliefs about sex.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Quite an amount of that is the parents' job, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

mariaalice wrote: »
    I think they should receive a compressive factual scientific education about human sexuality first of all including how contraceptives work and there should be an exam on all of this.

The practical exam for that should be fun. Unless you went to an all boys school, that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

spurious wrote: »
    Quite an amount of that is the parents' job, I think.

Yes of course, but if a school is going around inviting in groups or if it become mandatory to provide education about sexuality thats the type of curriculum I would like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Wasn't the RSE syllabus objected to by the religious sorts?
    Let me look for a link...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Choochtown

As far as I'm aware most or all of the above is already part of the Junior Cert curriculum. Check out the SPHE syllabus.
    Contraception is taught as part of the Junior Cert. Science curriculum of which which 65% is assessed by a written exam at the end of 3rd Year.

• Advertisement

Choochtown wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware most or all of the above is already part of the Junior Cert curriculum. Check out the SPHE syllabus.
    Contraception is taught as part of the Junior Cert. Science curriculum of which which 65% is assessed by a written exam at the end of 3rd Year.

That is fantastic and very sensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Since the title is education, I always thought that some sort of economics/personal finance class should be mandatory for leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Whether it be sex and sexuality or economics and personal finance, there are some teachers who might need to operate on the basis of "do what I say; don't do what I do.".

Whether it be sex and sexuality or economics and personal finance, there are some teachers who might need to operate on the basis of "do what I say; don't do what I do.".

Well life is not perfect, as long as the education is just that education and not indoctrination all views and opinion should be looked at and discussed that's why scientific factual education about sex should be keep separate from the more emotional values based stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Our sex education was during Religion class and one of the stern teachers came in to tell us about it (presuming she was the only one who was allowed to do it / would do it)

It was pretty much an hour of all the diseases, implications, and babies I'd get if I touched a girl. Real apocalyptic shìt. One year, we were brought to Knock for some reason where hip and happening religious youth were telling us the same thing about resisting urges.

At least in Biology we got to cover the reproductive system factually and considered that to be a better sex education since there wasn't the whole "wait until you meet the right person / until you're married" angle.

Plus, we got to see a completely rank birth of a child which the teacher tried to skip but ended up hitting rewind so the baby looked like it got sucked back into the vagina :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Having listened to a piece on the radio about pure in heart.

What education should teenagers receive about human development in schools.

Totally separate to that they should be education about sexuality that focus on saying no and saying yes, issues around alcohol, issues around consent, self esteem, per pressure, friendship, love, and emotion development.

Totally separate to this they should look at various religious, social and cultural beliefs about sex.

A lot of this should come from the parents. My wife is a teacher and she would tell you to **** off as there is no space on the curriculum.

What I keep saying to her is that religion should be dropped from all state schools. If people want their children to have a religion it should be Sunday school, home school or the like.

The slot that's left should be used for something like what you are suggesting, Nutritional health, mental health etc, things that should be learned at home but the truth is that a lot of people in this country don't understand these issues and you can't teach your children what you don't know. In
    years to come when the youth of today is up to speed on these things then there may be no need for such education but it is needed today.

This raises the issue of where we get people to teach these classes but they can be found and trained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I see it didnt take long for the standard bash religion posts to begin.

*gets popcorn*

Parents are primary educators.
    SPHE covers a great deal of this in conjunction with science and links to Home Ec. Although there is no examination for SPHE.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Since the title is education, I always thought that some sort of economics/personal finance class should be mandatory for leaving cert.

one tiny chapter in the maths book dealing with compound interest,tax etc which was glossed over by the teacher:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Our sex education was during Religion class and one of the stern teachers came in to tell us about it (presuming she was the only one who was allowed to do it / would do it)

It was pretty much an hour of all the diseases, implications, and babies I'd get if I touched a girl. Real apocalyptic shìt. One year, we were brought to Knock for some reason where hip and happening religious youth were telling us the same thing about resisting urges.

At least in Biology we got to cover the reproductive system factually and considered that to be a better sex education since there wasn't the whole "wait until you meet the right person / until you're married" angle.

Plus, we got to see a completely rank birth of a child which the teacher tried to skip but ended up hitting rewind so the baby looked like it got sucked back into the vagina :pac:
    Wow. That sounds way more detailed than the sex ed I got in school. Couple of nuns came in to show us a video starring the Fonz. He said don't let people touch your privates unless you're dating them or married. That was it. Not a single question was asked of two aged blushing nuns. Awkward.

I see it didnt take long for the standard bash religion posts to begin.

*gets popcorn*

Parents are primary educators.
    SPHE covers a great deal of this in conjunction with science and links to Home Ec. Although there is no examination for SPHE.

I don't see any religious bashing going on, Its more questioning the batty bizarre element of some of the talks that the children are subjected too. I go to mass occasionally and pick and mix the bits I like of the RCC, I got married in the Unitarian church because I wanted some religious/spiritual element, I do not subscribe to the thinking that sex has no social or cultural meaning in society. I think the commitment of marriage is important in society, but I would not push my opinion on anyone BRCAUSE it is just my opinion.

I want education about sex to be scientific, thorough and evidence based and as free of opinion as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I don't see any religious bashing going on, Its more questioning the batty bizarre element of some of the talks that the children are subjected too. I go to mass occasionally and pick and mix the bits I like of the RCC, I got married in the Unitarian church because I wanted some religious/spiritual element, I do not subscribe to the thinking that sex has no social or cultural meaning in society. I think the commitment of marriage is important in society, but I would not push my opinion on anyone BRCAUSE it is just my opinion.

I want education about sex to be scientific, thorough and evidence based and as free of opinion as possible.

Are you talking about the recent thing about some Catholic group(not sure exactly who/what they are)giving talks about sex to children in school?
    I only heard about it this morning myself so maybe its the same thing?
    The thing with the plaster?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Contraception being part of science in JC? All I remember was us getting a chart on the different effective rates one day, end of.
    The practical side should be taught, and the emotional development and making choices you're comfortable with, and so on. By parents

Bringing in sellotape and bits of paper to be ripped up to say you're useless and worthless if you had sex by choice outside of marriage (which may not even be an option for many people) is ridiculous and harmful and very poor judgement on already vulnerable teenagers

bluewolf wrote: »
    Contraception being part of science in JC? All I remember was us getting a chart on the different effective rates one day, end of.
    The practical side should be taught, and the emotional development and making choices you're comfortable with, and so on. By parents

Bringing in sellotape and bits of paper to be ripped up to say you're useless and worthless if you had sex by choice outside of marriage (which may not even be an option for many people) is ridiculous and harmful and very poor judgement on already vulnerable teenagers

So you believe no education about sex beyond the scientific should be provided by schools?, all education about social and emotional development should be done be parents.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Well... I think it starts young and is best done at home. I think reinforcing this kind of thing and opening communication and so on at home where possible is better than a standard template used on loads of different students who may be less inclined to listen as part of a group, or where it's being done far too late and the students have experienced these things on their own already
    I do think it should be done at home, that doesn't mean I think there should be a ban on it elsewhere

Still, no harm on a talk in school to cover all bases if there is time. Particularly if they have the opportunity to ask stuff anonymously and have misconceptions from the internet cleared up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Greyfox

In an ideal world sex education, mental health, self esteem etc should be done by the parents not the school.. the reality is most parents arent going to do that good of a job with any of this and society end pub paying the price of this which is why schools should do some of this.. just to cover for the rubbish parents

• Registered Users Posts: 25,731 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You could say the same about reading, history, etc.

Advertisement