Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hibernia Secondary

Options
  • 19-02-2014 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi

Just wondering if anyone can answer a few questions about the Hibernia Secondary course...

I am hoping to start in Aug/Sept when the course will be changed to two years. Its a lot of money and I am 28 so I will continuing to work full time. Is this a bad idea?
    I know you are fairly alone on the course, is this difficult? Just asking because some people make out like Hibernia are not very supportive at all.

Final query, is that I studied English as my major (40 credits) and Psychology as my minor (20 credits), so will I be less employable as I only have one straight subject? I was hoping to take on CSPE with Hibernia, but I hear this will be fazed out by schools in the years to come...

All help/input/opinions appreciated!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭prancer

No its not a bad idea. I was in the first group for this course and I was able to work full time and study HOWEVER, it was at a time when Hibernia wasnt really taken too serious as a course provider and loads of principals were sceptical of us. Since then my brother has gone onto do it and he is also working. He found it extremely difficult to get Teaching Practice because he left ut until he actually got into the course to go and look for it. Before you even do the interview, try and secure a placement just get your name into schools for it. If you are going in in October, the TP blocks are the following April, October and February- each 5 weeks. Going in in March, TP is September, February and April as far as i know- i was in the october group.

Course work is grand- the whole experience is what you make of it yourself, i just needed to be able to keep my job before i made a full transition over into teaching.

CSPE is extremely hard to get hours in as years only have one class a week normally. You need at least 9 hours of CSPE in one teaching block out of the three alone, so just something to think about.

Some of the people in Hibernia are in no way supportive- I had a good experience but my brother wishes he had never gone near the place. You are alone to an extent, your regional tutor should always be there to answer questions, again me being in the first year of it, everything was perfect enough, however on the grapevine the 2012 groups have posted about issues somewhere here. You are expected to do most of the work yourself and unfortunately those grading you on TP have been well out of the game so to speak for at least 10 years plus. That's the only bad side.

Any other questions PM me. .

Advertisement