Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your honest opinion on a proposed tv show idea

Options
  • 19-02-2014 9:06am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4

Hi all

I think I have come up with a good idea for a reality tv show that I copyrighted. Could I ask your honest opinion please. Here it is

TITLE : The Moneymaker

INTRO : Do you have what it takes to make money ? If you have then we will give you €10,000 to invest . You have thirty days to make as much return from the money as you can. If you fail you're out !

Synopsis

Two people are given €10,000 each and pitted against each other in a 60 minute programme.
    They are given 30 days to make as much money as possible from the seed money.
    There will be two mentors on the show ie. Two successful business people to offer advice to each contestant.
    They can invest their money however they choose (obviously there would have to be some parameters) but the winner will be whoever makes the greatest return from the money and they will move on to the next round.
    Initially there will be eight people over four programmes. The four winners move to semi final and the two winners of that move to the final.
    That's a total of seven programmes over the series.
    The winner would collect a cheque for €20,000

Obviously over course of the show €130,000 would have to be given to contestants to invest but it wouldn't be their money and obviously there is a chance some of it could be lost but I reckon over the length of the show the money should increase not decrease.

Format of Show

Opening Credits
    Program then explains what it's about and what a contestant has to do to succeed.
    We are then introduced to the two mentors
    We then tell the audience a bit about each contestant.
    Then we go to the competition.
    After the 30 days the camera will go back to the room where it all started and the " the moneymaker" is announced. Obviously this is the person who has the most profit made.

So let's say that it's is John v Pat
    The two contestants are brought into a room and handed €10,000 each by the two mentors. Once they leave the room a big clock starts to countdown the thirty days and the cameras follow their progress as they battle to think of money making schemes that will increase the value of their seed capital. Their mentors will keep tabs on them throughout their journey.

Once the thirty days are over the contestants down tools and meet back at the same location where they will give a breakdown of how much money that they have won or lost over the month. The contestants will also be penalised if they have any money tied up in stock etc at the end of the thirty days and this money will be deducted from their overall total. Whoever makes the most money moves on to the next stage and the loser goes home.

If you were to ask me what programs I would relate it to then I would say that it is a bit of "Don't tell the bride" mixed with a bit of "The Apprentice" with maybe a bit of Ireland's Fittest Family in for good measure.

There can be many variables in this show which should make it all the easier to grab as much of the audience share as possible.

Some things that can change within the program are :

1) The seed money can be more or less than €10,000. The time allowance can also be more or less than thirty days if we wish.
    2) I would encourage a broad range of people to enter the competition. You could young men and women, older men and women, students etc. This format is not stuck to one particular age group and you will find that each particular age/gender would invest their money in completely different ways which should lead to unexpected glitches along the way.
    3) The format of the show will also mean that no two weeks will be the same and this will grab audience attention
    4) The show could also be done on a celebrity contestant basis or even a basis where you could put a family versus a family.
    5) The show could also be done to include more contestants and make the series season longer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

To be honest. It sounds like The Apprentice with a bigger budget and you're on your own instead of a team. And you have a personal mentor instead of a team mentor.

Basically a cross between The Apprentice and Dragons Den. I love both shows, especially The Apprentice but I wouldn't watch this show I think. And for that reason.....I'm out :)

Not what you want to hear but you asked for honest opinions. Also, if it helps, I am a 25 yr old male.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Also the title "The Moneymaker". A guy won the world series of poker a few years ago called Chris Moneymaker. That is his real name. Your title could have copyright or advertising issues or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

What if a company that is set up and running in a month is running at a tiny profit or even a loss but is more sustainable and eventually grows into a very successful business.

How is this captured within the show?

Are the businesses dissolved once the show is over?

Does the €10,000.00 have any restrictions - Can I start a business online and pay myself €10,000.00 a month for sitting in front of a computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I would be worried about how you would compress 30 days worth of business activity / footage into a one hour show.

Format also sounds a bit dull to me. I dont think we need any more business / investing shows.

Why not give them 10,000 each and tell them they have an hour to spend it and cant have anything to show for it, cant give it away etc. That would be interesting.

(Politicians are not allowed to enter) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

As a writer (and because this is in the Creative Writing forum), I long for a world with less reality tv (not that I don't enjoy the odd reality TV show, but there's already enough of them) and more scripted content.

For that reason alone I'm against the idea.

All that scripted vs reality aside, it just doesn't grab me as a concept - as already mentioned it seems a Dragon's Den/Apprentice hybrid and really doesn't add anything "new" that isn't already on television.
    Sorry, as this isn't a response that you'll like to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

Don't know how you will dress up the lad sitting in Paddy Power putting your 10k on even money shots but good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Winner only gets 20k?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

You should email the idea to as many tv production companies as possible. You'd be surprised how receptive some are to concept ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

honest opinion - I think it's dire

then again I think Big Brother, I'm a Celebrity, Dragon's Den, The Apprentice, The X-factor, and all those other moronic reality series that clutter channels 1 to 1000 on my sky box are also dire....

...so you might well be onto a winner there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Gotta say, wouldn't be keen on this at all.

Each episode costs upwards of €20,000 - that is a serious amount of money, and a massive hurdle. Why give yourself that big an obstacle? Secondly, the concept of the show is not something that I like. Dragons Den has its moments, but again I prefer proper scripted TV.

If you were to retool this, you could probably get something out of it, but due to the formulaic nature of these shows, it would look virtually the same as the myriad of reality TV shows out there.

I do wish you the best of luck though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 izigor

I dunno I think lots of people would be interested in seeing what its like to gamble on the stock market with someone else's money.
    Couple of things I'd change to make it maybe cheaper and more varied

-You start off with 20 would be investors, give them each €1000 to start with
    -They are taught the basics of trading in stocks and shares, whoever does the teaching will also be financial advisors for the group
    -They must try to make the most that they can in month one
    -At the end of that month the top performer is given €2500, the 2nd top performer is given €2000 and the 3rd is given €1500. They still have their original investment this is money to invest for the next round. The two lowest performers have to hand back whatever is left of their investment and the rest of the contestants have either the the value of their original investment or that money topped back up to €1000, whichever is greater.

It goes on like that, but each time learning a bit more about different sorts of investments and a growing portfolio (although they can choose to simply invest in the one stock), for 6 months, until the would be investors are whittled down to 8.

At this point the top 3 are given the choice or whether they wish to continue trading on the stock market or (I may completely lose you at this point) learn how to play poker with the world's top poker players. At the end of six months they will then play poker for .. I dunno some big amount of money or maybe the value of their combined investments doubled or something
    If all 3 choose poker then the 5 other contestants continue with the trading game
    If 2 choose poker and 1 chooses trading, then the top performer out of the 5 lower performing traders chooses whether to go with poker or trading, if they choose trading then the next highest performer (out of the low performers) chooses and so on and if none choose poker then the top 3 performer out of the 5 lower performing traders can choose to play poker or the stock market.

The trading game works like before but now it is over a 3 month period and the top performer gets an extra €2500 for starting off. At the end of the three months the bottom 2 performers must leave and hand back the value of their investments. The top performer gets €10000 and the other 2 get to stay in the game.

Again they trade for the final 3 months. They have to have everything finished the day of the poker game.
    The trading winner keeps their portfolio and wins a great car, a holiday and some spending money.
    The trader who comes in second gets to keep half the value of their portfolio.
    And the losing trader has to ..............
    surrender their portfolio to the winner of the poker game. Why? Because just like the stock market - it really isn't fair.
    I'd call it - THEM THATS GOT

Advertisement