Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Indonesia

• 29-09-2004 8:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi,

A friend and I are going to Bali for Christmas. I was searching on the net and saw that as of February this year Irish citizens have to have a visa for Bali.

Since I am currently living in Japan I contacted the Indonesian embassy here. I would have to go in person to Tokyo to get it. This is impossible. The other option they gave me is to get my travel agent to do it (that's very common here). Anyway, my travel agent just got back to me and quoted me 157 euro fo it. That is a ridiculous amount for a tourist visa.

So I was wondering, how many of you got your visas from the embassy in London? Did you have to provide any unusual information to them? How much did it cost?

Thanks,

Joe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

im going to indonesia for 60 days over the summer and was just wondering does anyone know the best way to get the visa sorted? is there a consulate in ireland, or do you have to send the passport to the uk? il be in thailand first so is it possible to get it done there? thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

You could try googling the words "indonesian embassy ireland" and see what you come up :rolleyes:

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=376#I

Give them a ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 asti_mivec

Hi Mac,

You can't get an Indonesian visa in Ireland, as pointed out above the nearest embassy is indeed in London and they are pleasant to deal with if a bit on the slow side. I would send your passport over by registered post and make sure you give yourself at least 3 weeks before you leave Ireland to ensure that you get it back on time. I had trouble with them taking over a week and a half to process the visa and stamp my passport and ended up having to fly over a couple of days before I was due to leave Ireland to collect it in person as they kept "forgetting" to post it back and left it too late.

Irish citizens are in a strange visa category according to the Indonesion government and as such I think we have to get a visa in advance and it is advised to get one in London to save the hassle of trying to explain this in Thailand etc.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Just get it done in Thailand, much easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

Has anyone been to Indonesia in the last few years? Think of holidaying there in July/August. Kinda put off by securty warnings.

From the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office (December 2012)
    There is a high threat from terrorism. Terrorist groups continue to plan attacks and have the capacity and intent to carry out these attacks at anytime and anywhere in the country. Attacks could be indiscriminate, including in places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers. You should be particularly vigilant during holiday periods such as Easter, Christmas, Nyepi (Balinese New Year) and Independence Day (17 August). Attacks may also target Indonesian government and law enforcement interests. Terrorist attacks in Jakarta on 17 July 2009 and in Bali in October 2005 and October 2002 killed and injured a number of British nationals

In Bali on 18 March 2012 Indonesian police shot dead five suspected militants who were thought to have been planning robberies and attacks on tourist locations in Bali. Firearms and ammunition were confiscated by the authorities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Have been to Bali Sumatra java and Lombok 3 times in the last six times, have had no problems, if you look at other Asian countries they have security warnings ie Thailand( 1000's of people go here each year).
    Indonesia gets 10,000's of 1000's of visitors from Australia each year, they say bali is to australia as spain is to the Irish it's cheap and fun!!, the amount of Europeans we've seen on our travels in Indonesia has grown year after year.
    You'll be fine just remember to keep your wits about you poverty is everywhere and they see the westener as easy money, plus it's a Muslim country but I'd defo go back in the near future loved every bit of it.

Thanks

I did a bit more reading up on Indonesia. Sounds great so far. The place is massive, so it's really difficult to plan a 3 week trip (including 4days singapore).

At the moment, I'm thinking 6-7 days on Java. Jogya - 3-4 days with temples. Solo day trip. Then Bromo somehow. Skip jakarta totally.

7 days Bali. Not sure yet. 3 days beach, maybe 2-3 days Ubud.

I have 3-4 days to spend somewhere else. Borneo or north Sumatra (lake Toba) are appealing as a wildlife/cultural trip.

I'd only stay two nights in Singapore, you'll see everything in a hole day if you start early, when in Bali have a look at gili trawangan great island for two nights get boat from Bali, have a look at a trip to komodo island aswell.... It's a fantastic country Jakarta don't bother I taught a right sh*t hole....enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I think methanol poisoning is a greater danger, and not publicised enough. When you are in Bali, Gili or Lombok either bring your own drink or only drink sealed beer etc. It has affected arak, cocktails and spirits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lollipop!

I went to Southeast Asia ?(Thailand, Vietnam, Laos) the summer before last and I'm looking for a similar kind of trip. Would Indonesia be like that?

• Advertisement

lollipop! wrote: »
    I went to Southeast Asia ?(Thailand, Vietnam, Laos) the summer before last and I'm looking for a similar kind of trip. Would Indonesia be like that?

I hope so! I'm flying out in June for three weeks. I haven't read the entire travel guide yet, but Java and Bali alone have so much diversity that I happy with my booking. Been to Thailand and Vietnam.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MangoLime

Hi all, hopefully this is in the right place!

Does anybody know if it's true that there is no longer an indonesian embassy in Ireland and we must now send visa applications to the embassy in London?

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭Challo

You can get a visa at the airport when you fly in I thought?
    Or are you going for longer than the standard one?

You get one on arrival, we paid $25 for stamp( don't know if its gone up) on arrival it's very easy process.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 chops27

Hi,
    I am going to Indonesia in July. I have a month there, I am looking for recomendations on where to go and especially where is best to dive? I have 2 nights in bali booked so far, so I can get to fairly much anywhere from there!
    Steve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

My wife loves diving in Indonesia, she considers Ambon and Aceh to be the best places that she has visited so far. Where are you staying in Bali?

Thanks,
    Will be staying in kuta, Ive heard its a bit wild but that doesnt bother me too much cause Im only there for a short time. Have you been to Bali?
    I will be diving in komodo, and planning on going to see the dragons! Was thinking about going to sulawesi and diving bunaken. Has your wife dived there? I will have a look into Ambon and Aceh, are they difficult/expensive to get too?

Consider diving in bali if you have more time there. go to the WWII wreck in Tulamben. She always use this company if she dive in Bali "baliaqua". the owner name Murfi really nice guy and can speak english well. and he also have boat in komodo. you might get a discount if you dive with them Bali and Komodo.
    Diving in Komodo probably one of the best in indonesia also. But you will get more to offer if you join a liveaboard.

Aceh is in Sumatra and she was diving in the remote of Indonesia. 0km of indonesia. Its a small little island called Weh Island. But the local call it Sabang. stayed in Lumba-lumba dive resort. its going to involve ferry to get there. There are flights to Aceh from Kuala Lumpur, with Air Asia and some others. its perfect if your 1st stop is in kuala lumpur and worked out your way to the other places in Indonesia.

If you thinking of diving in Sulawesi, go straight to Gorontalo, lots of whale shark spotting. its in North Sulawesi. Past the Bunaken. But if you like to shoot macro, there is a Lembeh strait. small little volcanic island in the middle. its heaven for mini and macro critters.

If money isn't an issue, go have a look diving in Raja Ampat. Its the number 1 place to dive in the world she said. now that is in Irian Jaya. The wifey recommend you to take at least a week live aboard. Whale shark, manta, wabegong shark. she hasn't dived there yet. But thats all she talks about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If you're going all the way to Aceh to dive around the island of Pulau Weh then what ever you do don't miss out on seeing the orangutans in Bukit Lawang. It's about 12 hours by bus from Aceh but it is only about 4 hours from Medan, from where Airasia fly to Kuala Lumper.

Lake Toba is also in the Medan area and is well worth a visit.

I can recommend the diving off Gilis Trawangan and it is one of the best islands in Indonesia to kick back and dive. However it would not be considered world class diving. There is a few dives at a town called Labuan Bajo that are world class, I forget the name of them now but they're well, well known. Komodo/Rinca also has excellent diving.

With a month I'd choose either to base yourself in Bali and Islands East of it or else base yourself in Sumatra and dive off Aceh. Indonesia is a big place and road transport is very slow. If you did want to do both areas it would be a squeeze but possible if you take internal flights. Luckily between Lion Air and Air Asia you can get most places one way for less than €50

Thanks lads for the advice, I dont think Ill be going to sumatra. Looks like Ill be basing myself between Bali, the gilis and flores!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

chops27 wrote: »
    Thanks,
    Will be staying in kuta, Ive heard its a bit wild but that doesnt bother me too much cause Im only there for a short time. Have you been to Bali?
    I will be diving in komodo, and planning on going to see the dragons! Was thinking about going to sulawesi and diving bunaken. Has your wife dived there? I will have a look into Ambon and Aceh, are they difficult/expensive to get too?

Kuta is pretty much the Australians Gran Canaria, to be honest I didn't like it. It was very dirty, lots of open sewers and pollution/rubbish. Completely drunk australians and shed loads of prostitutes/ladyboys.

Tulamben was lovely, stayed in a small place owned by a German guy.
    http://www.toyabali-resort.com/

There's a dive place next door, guys were very nice and it was a reasonable price.

The wreck there is great ;)

between Bali
    Come have a beer with us, google Irish Bar Bali and it should show up.... good chance that i will be there or the wife.

Hey yeah will do, I goggled it but there are 3 Irish bars showing up! Which one are you?

Scruffies..... do you know anything about Ramadan?

Yes a little, how does it effect Bali?

Bali won't really be affected as its a Hindu island, but if you want to go to strange parts of Indonesia, try to do it before Ramadan. Also as the last week of Ramadan is generally a holiday leading to Eid so all travel will be full and extremely expensive. Komodo island and Sulawesi should also be ok. Gili might be affected.

In Jakarta you will find that Bars will be closed down to avoid damage from thugs, but that doesn't apply in Bali.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

It was very dirty, lots of open sewers and pollution/rubbish. Completely drunk australians and shed loads of prostitutes/ladyboys
    Unfortunately there was plenty of this in Kuta/Legian: having kids and their parents pull your clothes begging coming out the the clubs at 4am was unexpected but don't give them money or they'll mob you. Also don't buy any drugs: they're often sold by guys working with the polisi so you buy it, turn a corner and there's a car or van waiting to bundle the dopey boleh into it. Bribes are the only way out of that mess. If a group of people are having a sing-song on the beach around sunset offer it to you though, go for it, as they were usually legit. Also: Arak. It's like their version of poitín. Be careful around that stuff. People have died after drinking it.

I'd still go back there in a heartbeat though as the beaches are class and there's plenty to do on the island if you hire a scooter and drive around. The locals are friendly too especially the further away from Kuta/Legian you go, like in Ubud and Denpasar. Probably because white people aren't drink-driving and throwing up all over their roads. Also, the food is class and fairly cheap. Also: Bintang.

Just asked the missus (Javan) about Ramadiddlydan and she said that loads of people head to Bali for the end of it (Eid el-Fitri, I think) so flights and hotel prices go up, although all of the shops and restaurants are open. What will shut places down is Galungan or other Hindu festivals as the islanders are mainly Hindu.

Thanks lads! I'll factor that in! I think by the last week of ramadan I'll either be in flores or sulawesi!
    Have any of you tried the white water rafting in Bali? My girlfriend is mad to try it, I had a look at a few places on line but the river seemed quite narrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

Something I also forgot to mention was rabies: there are dogs wandering about everywhere in Kuta/Legian and they helped to contribute to the disease killing loads of people in the last few years. You might just want to be aware of it before throwing some scraps to Fido while wandering about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭Tuhula

Hi,

Im going to Bali in two weeks and I was wondering what people do for money. Do you bring some local money with you going over or do you use the ATMs there? I assume BOI Visa Debit cards will work over there?

Tuhula wrote: »
    Hi,

Im going to Bali in two weeks and I was wondering what people do for money. Do you bring some local money with you going over or do you use the ATMs there? I assume BOI Visa Debit cards will work over there?

Hi, we brought cash and cards, ATMs everywhere as are money changers, dont change money at the side of the street money exchangers you will be ripped off there so good at it they'd make any magician proud..... Where abouts are you staying in Bali?

Hi, we brought cash and cards, ATMs everywhere as are money changers, dont change money at the side of the street money exchangers you will be ripped off there so good at it they'd make any magician proud..... Where abouts are you staying in Bali?

Thanks for the response. Will bring enough cash to get me through a day or two and use ATMs from then on so. We haven't actually accommodation booked yet (will do that today, tomorrow), hoping to book week 1 and then book week 2 when we get there. Hoping to spend two or three days in each location around the Island. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Pinkmoon19

I would highly recommend the Gili Islands. Great for chilling out, diving and just beautiful surrounds. We traveled around Asia for 2 months and had only penciled in a 5 day stay but ended up staying for 10 days. Gili Trawangan is the nicest in my opinion!!

wolfen wrote: »
    I would highly recommend the Gili Islands. Great for chilling out, diving and just beautiful surrounds. We traveled around Asia for 2 months and had only penciled in a 5 day stay but ended up staying for 10 days. Gili Trawangan is the nicest in my opinion!!

Great, thanks Wolfen, we defo have planned to visit the Gili Islands so will make sure we get to Gili Trawangan now. It looks so beautiful in pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 21 asuna_cpl

Is there anyone going to Indonesia recently?

• Advertisement

If you are Indonesian, is it difficult to get a visa to come over to Ireland?

Hi everyone,

Is it still the case that we need to apply via the UK? Or can I get a visa in Ireland to travel to Indonesia?

I know this thread is a bit old, but help needed on this point too. Thanks!

Hi everyone,

Are things pretty much the same in Indonesia since 2014? Or are there dive spots which are no longer accessible? Thanks!

Advertisement