Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax Return for a Secondment abroad.

Options
  • 19-02-2014 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I've Googled and Googled but can't seem to find a straight answer to these two questions. I'm abroad on secondment with the company I work for in Ireland since early 2013. While I work abroad, I'm still paid in Ireland.
    1. I've been out of the country for more than 183 days in 2013. Can I claim a refund in PAYE or do I need to wait until I've been out of the country for more than 280 days in a 2 year period, in which case would that qualify me as non resident in 2013 or 2014?
    2. How in the name of God would I go about claiming a refund of PAYE for the previous year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Why would you get a refund? Your pay is still subject to Irish PAYE because of the secondment. The 183 day rule refers to global income. Also it depends what country the secondment is in, some countries have agreements about it. For example, in the UK if you are on secondment there - it means you continue paying Irish tax as normal, without having to pay any UK tax (which would probably be lower).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Most Companies operate a shadow payroll and tax equalisation in these instances.

Ask your company first

Advertisement