Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applicant sourced housing scheme (ASH)

Options
  • 18-02-2014 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I am looking for a bit of advice about the ASH scheme with south Dublin county council.
    I know how difficult it was to find a landlord who would accept rent allowance so I assume it will be difficult to find one who accepts tenants on the ASH scheme. I have 3 children and need a 3 bedroom house. My current house has only 2 bedrooms so I cant rent that with the ASH scheme.

I just enrolled in college as a mature student and would love to get back to work but would loose my rent allowance but the ASH scheme would allow me to go back to work.
    I don't mind too much where the house is located as long as it is in SDCC area and off any main roads because I have small children. I would also be happy to do some work with house myself like cleaning, painting and general repairs if needed before I move in.

I only know the little bit of information SDCC provide on there website so any help or advice will be very much appreciated or if you are a landlord willing to rent with ASH scheme even better. I have references from landlord and my previous place of employment and am flexible with move in date.

Please contact me with any info you may have and thank you for reading.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Hi there

I was going to do the ASH scheme, so maybe I can tell you a bit about it. (I'm not a Landlord)

You have to look for a suitable property to meet your needs.
    So, for example, if you are currently in a two-bed home OR you are down on the Housing List as requiring a two-bed home, then the ASH-sourced home must also be two-bed.
    Same goes for if you're in a one-bed OR are on the Housing List as needing a one-bed; basically the property has to be the same as the one you're looking for on the Housing List.

So you go off and find a place and ask the Landlord if he/she is willing to participate in it. Some Landlords already know about the scheme (but probably know it better as RAS) and for some, it's right up their street.

If the Landlord agrees to participate in the scheme with you, you take his/her details and contact the Housing Department of the Council and give the Landlord's details to the relevant person.

They will then contact the Landlord and tell him/her about the scheme.

They will pay below the market value in exchange for a long lease.

Say, for example, the Landlord is looking for €900 for a two-bed apartment/house, the Council will probably offer him a rent of €800 but guarantee a tenant for at least 5 years.
    During this time, the Council pays the agreed rent directly to the Landlord and you pay the Council 10% of your income.
    The Council will still pay the Landlord the rent even if the property is vacant.

You will discuss with the Landlord and Council how long you want the lease for, but it is a minimum of 5 years and a maximum of 10.

If, after 5 years, the Landlord chooses to renew the lease for another 5 years, great.

If not, then the Council must house you in a similar property.

The Landlord also has the option of handing responsibility of his property over to the council for 10 years and he would get the full market rent he was requesting in the first place.
    If he only wants a 5-year lease, he gets the negotiated rent that I mentioned above.
    During the 5-year lease, the Landlord is still an active participant and is responsible for all Landlord duties.

So, anyway, after the Council contact the potential Landlord and discuss the scheme, and he still wants to go ahead, the Council arranges for an inspector to visit the property to make sure it's fit for habitation and that it has a sufficient BER rating certificate.

This can take 8 weeks. During these 8 weeks, the Landlord would not be paid any rent as you would not have taken up tenancy yet.

If, after the inspection, the Council are happy to let you move in, you move in.

Please remember
    , if you go for the ASH scheme your name will be removed from the Housing List, as you will have been adequately housed.
    This can be a sore point for a lot of people who have been waiting years on the List for a council home, but it can work for people.

I know people on the List for 10+ years who don't want to wait anymore and some of these people are unemployed due to the vicious circle that is Rent Allowance.

At least with the ASH/RAS scheme, you can return to full-time employment and still have your home.

I hope this has been of some help to you and I wish you luck in your house-hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 homerno

I am looking for a bit of advice about the ASH scheme with south Dublin county council.
    I know how difficult it was to find a landlord who would accept rent allowance so I assume it will be difficult to find one who accepts tenants on the ASH scheme. I have 3 children and need a 3 bedroom house. My current house has only 2 bedrooms so I cant rent that with the ASH scheme.

I just enrolled in college as a mature student and would love to get back to work but would loose my rent allowance but the ASH scheme would allow me to go back to work.
    I don't mind too much where the house is located as long as it is in SDCC area and off any main roads because I have small children. I would also be happy to do some work with house myself like cleaning, painting and general repairs if needed before I move in.

I only know the little bit of information SDCC provide on there website so any help or advice will be very much appreciated or if you are a landlord willing to rent with ASH scheme even better. I have references from landlord and my previous place of employment and am flexible with move in date.

Please contact me with any info you may have and thank you for reading.
    im afraid you will find it very very difficult to find a landlord interested in the ras scheme, i tried it myself once for a tenant i liked a lot, sorry now. but no harm in looking

• Registered Users Posts: 26 xxINeedHelpxx

Thanks you both for your help it does seem like a bit of a no hoper :( I put my name on the council list almost 8 years ago and when I had my 2nd child I tried to add her to my application and they said it had been cancelled because I didn't return information which was untrue but in the end just had to re apply so now I am on it almost 3 years. I cant work while claiming RA but can't afford to rent without it its just a vicious circle. I was hoping that this would be answer but it now seems impossible but ill keep trying :)

Thanks again for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 annagie

Hi everybody,
    In August 2013 I have got letter that I can start looking 3 bed house for ASH Scheme. In August I'm was on maternity, my husband hasn't worked. We took Rent Allowance. In September 2013 I returned to work, full time so we couldn't get any more Rent Allowance.
    My question is:
    Do I need Rent Allowance if I want still find house for ASH Scheme?
    Thanks.

annagie wrote: »
    Hi everybody,
    In August 2013 I have got letter that I can start looking 3 bed house for ASH Scheme. In August I'm was on maternity, my husband hasn't worked. We took Rent Allowance. In September 2013 I returned to work, full time so we couldn't get any more Rent Allowance.
    My question is:
    Do I need Rent Allowance if I want still find house for ASH Scheme?
    Thanks.

No Annagie, you don't need to be receiving rent allowance. As long as you are still in need of housing you can look for a house on the ASH scheme. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot. Im wasn't sure.

You are welcome Annagie. I hope you have luck finding somewhere. I am not having much luck myself :(

Yesterday my hope died.
    Everyday Im checking daft,gumtree,newspapers....yesterday landlord gave to much hope.
    One month ago I ring to council with question about mortgage frim council. Everything its fine but last question this lady was about my savings. Its sick!!! I told that I dont have savings and for that Im looking house for ASH and for that AIB and Permanent dont want give me mortgage. Im really dont sure Council want help us.

Any idea why Landlords dont want ASH Scheme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Do you need to be getting RA before you go on the ASH Scheme?

• Advertisement

I got letter about only ash. I ring to the council few times and they didnt tell me nothing about ra. Do ra has something to do with ash?

Do you need to be getting RA before you go on the ASH Scheme?

Hi, No you don't need to be getting RA to go on the ASH scheme. You just need to be on the housing list. You can only choose the ASH scheme after receiving the letter from SDCC first.

Yes Annagie it is difficult to find a landlord willing to accept a tenant through the ASH scheme.

From what I have been told its a lot of hassle for them.
    Aside from them thinking if you don't pay full rent you wont look after the house or that you might not be a good tenant, they have to have good energy rating and the house has to pass an inspection. It can also take a long time for the inspection to be completed and they also have to agree to a set rent.
    Today the rent prices could be 900 euro but next year could be 1200 meaning they could have made more that year than just the 900 the agreed on this year.

I'm sure there are more reasons for each landlord but you just have to persevere and keep searching the best thing to do would probably be to meet the landlord before mentioning the ASH scheme.

Also RA is rent allowance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

annagie wrote: »
    Any idea why Landlords dont want ASH Scheme?

Here are some reasons for you:

Getting tied into a contract with the council/tenants.
    Having to make repairs, adjustments to his property to fall within the strict standards set by the Council.
    Having to accept reduced rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

fussyonion wrote: »
    Here are some reasons for you:

Getting tied into a contract with the council/tenants.
    Having to make repairs, adjustments to his property to fall within the strict standards set by the Council.
    Having to accept reduced rent.

Having to pay tax on rent?

Crazy.Im not sure council want help peoples. :mad:

Advertisement