Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what satellite reciever to go for?

• 18-02-2014 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

hello there guys,
    Very new to this area but i am hoping you guys can help me.
    I am looking to get rid of my upc at home and replace with a linux satellite reciever.
    what i am lookin for is pretty basic, pretty much as close to a sky+ box as possible with sky channels etc.
    I have narrowed down to either the amiko alien 2 or the vu+ solo2, but i am open to other suggestions.
    I was leaning towards the solo2 as it seems to be a very good machine from what i have read but all i am lookin for is record one channel and watch or pause another which as far as i can tell the amiko alien is capable of too.
    I have upc broadband at the moment but will be changing to vodafone broadband.
    my dish is just your standard sky minidish.
    I guess what my main question is, for someone totally new, what reciever would you reccomend to carry out these functions?
    Gary

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

A Humax Freesat + HDR for Freesat PVR use.

or if you have a Sky sub a Sky box.

The Linux boxes (actually probably ALL boxes run Linux, but I know what you mean) are more for Non-UK FTA or PayTV. Sky would cancel your sky card if they thought it wasn't in a Sky box. Even if a Sky sub card works in non-sky box today it might not tomorrow.

If you have no Sky sub you need an Aerial and Saorview for Irish channels. None of the Linux boxes entirely do Saorview + Freesat properly. You'd need TWO PVRs (or nearly as good a custom media PC) to really have true PVR on satellite and Terrestrial with ALL features of both platforms.

Sky channels require a Sky subscription and really a Sky Box (you get one free with a new sub and you own it from day 1, but it will not play/record without a sub thus when sub cancelled it's crippled).

You are mad to change from UPC broadband (you don't need to have the TV sub) which is coax to Vodafone which uses Eircom phone wires and massive Telephone line rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gazzam

Thank you for the reply watty,
    From what i understand the vodafone broadband is 35euro per month and that includes line rental, the upc broadband is about 45 per month. Upc is wired to our house but is fed back to an aerial in our town so its really just standard broadband not fiber, saying that ive had it nearly 2 years and no problems. Ive been speaking to a neighbour of mine and he finds the vodafone broadband quite good, im not 100% on which way i will go yet but thank you for your input
    What i am hoping to achieve from the vu+ or amiko alien 2 box is sky channels without sky sub, but i think i cannot discuss that here.
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭necstandards

Hi Gazzam

Since its been 3 years, what did you opt for and how has it been working for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gazzam

Just stuck with the saorview/freeview in the end, zgemmastar reciever are good for recording one channel watching another, same as the older sky box, good selection of channels. Gets us by ;)

Advertisement