Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling noob, what bike to buy?

Options
  • 18-02-2014 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm getting the cycle to work scheme through my job, but I'm at a loss as what to buy. I've never had a proper commuting bike so I don't no where to start.

I am limited though, I can only purchase through this website: https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/

I need it just to get to work and going around town (I live in Dublin city centre). Not a big fan of 'big bikes', have always had BMXs and off-road MTBs when I was younger so when it comes to road/commuters I have no idea!

Any tips would greatly be appreciated. My budget is anywhere from €400-600 but I could push higher if need be.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Cycle Super Store are based out in Tallaght and I'd recommend that you pop out to them and talk to some of the staff who are generally good. You'll be able to jump up on a few different bikes and see what you like.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I always loved an mtb with slicks on it for commuting

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Cycle Super Store are based out in Tallaght and I'd recommend that you pop out to them and talk to some of the staff who are generally good. You'll be able to jump up on a few different bikes and see what you like.

Yeah might try and get out there. I also don't understand how the sizing thing works, so probably best to go out to them.

I like the look of this fella, but honestly don't know what I'm getting for the price!

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=68796

Borderfox wrote: »
    I always loved an mtb with slicks on it for commuting

Was thinking that. I like the idea of a decent suspension and I can double up if I want to use it off road/weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

I'd say pop out to the shop A and have a look around. Is it solely commuting or are you thinking of doing some sportives during the summer? If you are I'd think about a road bike.

That bike you listed doesn't have suspension but if you do go for a MTb and want to use it commuting I'd suggest.
    1. Get one where you can lock out the shocks.
    2. Get a set of slicks as well as the off road (knobbly) tyres that will come with bike and you would use off road.

I'd suggest to push as high as you can and get best bike possible while using the bike to work scheme, thinks you can use it only once every 5 years.

I see. The reason being paying for a decent bike will make sure it lasts the 5 years then yeah?

What does locking out the shocks do? Stop the suspension from kicking in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

.ak wrote: »
    I see. The reason being paying for a decent bike will make sure it lasts the 5 years then yeah?

What does locking out the shocks do? Stop the suspension from kicking in?

Yes. Suspension on the road adds weight and diverts some of your effort moving the bike. Locking the forks out stops them depressing so all pedal effort goes to moving you forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭Russman

IMO if you're staying on-road/path there's no need at all for a suspension. From what I gather, a good suspension will be quite expensive.
    Best to call out to CSS, they're generally very helpful when you explain what you think you're looking for.

It's easier to peddle on a road surface without bouncing up and down with the suspension locked . If you go off road you can easily engage suspension.

Reason I'd say spend as much as possible is you have a limit of 1000 yoyo that can only be used once. You might as well get as much back in tax as possible which is upto 40% of the value of the bike depending on what tax you are paying. I'm open to correction as I've never been able to use bike to work as where I work won't let us use the scheme.

Is it purely for commuting ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I like the look of this fella, but honestly don't know what I'm getting for the price!

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=68796

That's not a bad bike! Stay away from suspension, unless you intend upping your budget over the €1000 mark.

shaka wrote: »
    It's easier to peddle on a road surface without bouncing up and down with the suspension locked . If you go off road you can easily engage suspension.

Reason I'd say spend as much as possible is you have a limit of 1000 yoyo that can only be used once. You might as well get as much back in tax as possible which is upto 40% of the value of the bike depending on what tax you are paying. I'm open to correction as I've never been able to use bike to work as where I work won't let us use the scheme.

Is it purely for commuting ?

Yeah it's purely for commuting (for now), although I like the idea of getting out of Dublin to wicklow and doing some mountain biking on the weekends.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    That's not a bad bike! Stay away from suspension, unless you intend upping your budget over the €1000 mark.

Why, are MTB's under 1k generally quite poor? Was looking at this one as well (and getting slicks with it)

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=68360

Went and tried a few 29er mtbs. Have to say I really like all the cannonballs, very light and mobile. Wasn't a huge fan of the cube bikes, felt a little bulky.

Didn't get a chance to try any of the Giants out, but I've heard mixed thing about giant as a brand. Anybody have any experience with them?

Giant are the ford/ vw of bikes, maybe not as sexy as some but super frames and reliable.

By the way my last four road and mountain bikes were Trek but have ordered a Giant as my next bike

Btw did the bikes that you tried have shocks you can lock out ?

shaka wrote: »
    By the way my last four road and mountain bikes were Trek but have ordered a Giant as my next bike

Btw did the bikes that you tried have shocks you can lock out ?

Yeah I tried a cube attention 29er and that had a button that allowed you to lock out/unlock from the handle bar. But even with the lock in place the cube was still a little soft.

I thought the cube was a little chunky or something. I like the look of the analog 29 though.

I liked the feel of the cannondale 29er but I don't like any of the colors, ha!

I've heard from two retailers to avoid giant! So alarm bells ringing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Nothing wrong with Giant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

For comfortable city centre cruising I'd get a full suspension MTB with slicks. Delish!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

I'm no expert, but I prefer the spec on the Cube

I wouldn't think much of those retailers to be honest,suspect they are on better commission from cube or another brand.

Decided to get this.

Giant Talon 29er 2 Bike 2014

I'll let you know how I get on.

Excited now, but unfortunately I have to wait as they won't have them in stock until atleast the 17th of March. :(

Well wear :)

Also, what's the deal with having bikes delivered... I assume there'd be some assembly required? They don't come with wheels, pedals and everything on in one piece do they?

Will come in box with handlebar turned sideways, Allen key for straightening and pedals are easy fit. Screw on and tighten with spanner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

possibly won't have pedals, depends on the spec of the bike. bike shop will usually throw in a crappy pair of flats worst case.

Yeah says mtb caged pedals on the spec so should be good.

• Advertisement

So I ended getting this, a Giant Talon 29er 2. Only arrived after a month, and typically arrived when I'm in a leg brace. Can't even try it out for another 2 weeks! Murphy's Law.

As I'm pretty much a noob here, is there anything you would recommend for a new bike owner? Any particular maintenance I should do, anything I should keep an eye out for, stuff like that?

300385.jpg

Advertisement