Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free spinning rear hub?

Options
  • 18-02-2014 10:26am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, jumped on my On-One Pompino single speed this morning for my morning commute and my pedals just span...chain was on, but rear gear was just spinning. Keeping in mind that it's covered roughly 200km in the last 2 weeks, and was perfect when I locked it away last night. Could it be something seized inside the hub? Any ideas at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, pawls frozen in place apparently happens, the question has come up here before. Though it wasn't cold this morning. Chances are when you go home, it will have engaged and it'll be fine.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah, pawls frozen in place apparently happens, the question has come up here before. Though it wasn't cold this morning. Chances are when you go home, it will have engaged and it'll be fine.

Cheers. Although it definitely wasn't cold enough last night in Rathfarnham to freeze. Would it be worth my while getting some wd-40 in there to see if it will free it up. Or just straight oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭browsing

this happened to me with a freehub. I doused it in wd40 with no luck. I since built the spokes and rim onto another hub. however, now and again, I put a bit in and spin it and it actually came to life the other week so give it a shot, might do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Try a hairdryer for a few minutes with the cassette taken off.

Even if it starts working for now, you will need to re-grease it later with some lighter stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

bear in mind, if youre dousing it in wd-40, that'll require stripping and regreasing afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It happened to me a few months back 25kms into a ride. I had to go home using the bike like a child's scooter - right foot clipped in as normal and my left foot pushing me along. I must have looked ridiculous!

(Afterwards I learned of a little tip which would have made life easier.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭C3PO

Depending on the age of the hub, the pawls could be worn/damaged/broken - it's happened to me a couple of times!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

(Afterwards I learned of a little tip which would have made life easier.)

So share! In case we end up in the same spot :-)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Cheers guys. Got sorted.

Right, so I omitted something quite critical to diagnosis here...I was running a flipflop hub! Didn't think this was important until I spoke with another cyclist a lot more knowledgeable than I. So it was as simple as replacing the freewheel, which I just got done in CycleSurgery in Dundrum as I was in need of the bike tomorrow and it was cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

quozl wrote: »
    So share! In case we end up in the same spot :-)
    It more of a 'limp home' solution than a fix.

Remove bar end plugs and store several large/strong cable ties inside the drop handlebars. If the hub goes, use the cable ties to anchor the largest sprocket onto the spokes. Pedal gently and the cassette will turn the wheel via the cable ties (but avoid climbing or using the lowest gear). I haven't tried it but I'm told it's an old trick which may get you home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

It more of a 'limp home' solution than a fix.

Remove bar end plugs and store several large/strong cable ties inside the drop handlebars. If the hub goes, use the cable ties to anchor the largest sprocket onto the spokes. Pedal gently and the cassette will turn the wheel via the cable ties (but avoid climbing or using the lowest gear). I haven't tried it but I'm told it's an old trick which may get you home.

Works well - I have no experience of it, but years ago, I read about a guy whose freewheel broke in the middle of nowhere (the Atacama Desert in Chile, IIRC) and, to avoid dying of thirst/starving to death, he removed some spokes from the front wheel and used them to bind the sprockets to the rear spokes...

Advertisement