Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stormy Teacup

Options
  • 18-02-2014 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭

Just spotted this campaign on twitter. It's to open a tea rooms/craft shop on Foxes Bow in Limerick but they need our help to raise the cash. I'd love to see something like this in Limerick and it's what the city centre needs! I hope they get the cash. :)

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-stormy-teacup

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

It sounds as though it might be a bit of a niche clique kind of place. I picture groups of students talking nonsense and bickering loudly while nursing a cup of coffee for hours, and 'artisan' coffee generally means overpriced', my husband loves all the weird loose teas and they don't come cheap either.

Tbh, it sounds like the kind of place I'd avoid like the plague. It doesn't sound as though it has the potential to be a successful business and I wonder if they're business plan didn't convince a bank to give them a business loan, maybe that's why they want public donations to help them fund a private business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I wonder if they're business plan didn't convince a bank to give them a business loan, maybe that's why they want public donations to help them fund a private business?

I was wondering the same thing this morning when I read this but thought I might be a bit of a grouch if I said it.

I wish them well but I find the whole method of getting donations essentially from people to run a private business really strange. Yes I know you get some gifts depending on how much you contribute but it is pretty much donations.

I know of another thing like this where people ran a fundraising event in order to run another event. This other event had an admission charge and it was for profit (at least no-one said anything to the contrary). Again in that case I wondered why I would help sponsor people to run a business.

Then again maybe I'm just out of touch with business funding! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I don't get this crowd funding model at all. What happened to the bank or credit union like most people do?

Best of luck to them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I was wondering the same thing this morning when I read this but thought I might be a bit of a grouch if I said it.

+1!!
    I agree, Crowdfunding does make sense in some instances.
    Just look at the Pebble watch or similar, taking a product idea and allowing someone to gauge its consumer appeal and to mitigate prototyping and production costs against a gauranteed customer base.

But a crowd-funded teashop?
    I know there's a want out there amongst us 30 somethings for a Java's replacement for a similar quirky spot that can make us cool again ;)
    But to expect people to contribute start-up costs for what will in essence be a pretentious coffee shop?
    I wonder how quickly the traditional finance sources kicked this plan to the kerb?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Fair play to them. It is a method that a lot of folk have used successfully to help finance or partially finance a venture.

Not sold on the match of concept and location, but they have an idea and want to run with it, and that is something I will always applaud someone for doing.

Given the current pricing of some of the units in Foxes Bow (rents and rates) I can see the attraction that location would hold for what they are trying to do, and if they can further reduce overheads by doing a lot of the work themselves (furnishings etc) and then raise some or all of their start up capital through crowd funding, then the risk to them is relatively low.

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    +1!!
    Just look at the Pebble watch or similar, taking a product idea and allowing someone to gauge its consumer appeal and to mitigate prototyping and production costs against a gauranteed customer base.

Exactly the same with games. Pay a reasonable amount to the project and get the game "free" when it's released, the same amount or a little less that you would pay if you buy if afterwards on Steam etc.

With that event I mentioned and this venture (vague with the description as I don't want to p*ss off people I know) I feel it is a little bit much. If a bunch of people gift you the money it allows you start a venture with very little risk and all turnover (well in the case of the event anyway) is profit. Still if you can get the cash it sounds like a no-brainer, any venture becomes worthwhile to explore even if it wouldn't normally be economically feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

+1!!

But a crowd-funded teashop?
    I know there's a want out there amongst us 30 somethings for a Java's replacement for a similar quirky spot that can make us cool again ;)
    But to expect people to contribute start-up costs for what will in essence be a pretentious coffee shop?
    I wonder how quickly the traditional finance sources kicked this plan to the kerb?

Shhhhhhh don't say it out loud. If a proper Javas replacement ever opens in Limerick I don't want others to know about it.

Original Javas was boss.

Drinks at Quins, then wander up to Javas around midnight. Ahh the past was good :)

Kess73 wrote: »

Drinks at Quins, then wander up to Javas around midnight. Ahh the past was good :)

See what I mean ;)
    Us elder statesmen knew how to party :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

They said on Facebook they'd do late opening hours til maybe 10 or 11 some nights, a godsend for me as I'm not a pub person at all and there isn't many alternatives open after 6. The only place I'd go to is the George but not inclinded to stay a long time.

late hours could be good, go to a tea house instead of a pub. Would be a good spot for small gigs etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Sounds like a grand idea, but truthfully I see the place if it opens as a hangout for the friends of the proprietors.

padma wrote: »
    Sounds like a grand idea, but truthfully I see the place if it opens as a hangout for the friends of the proprietors.

Like the Blind Pig? :confused::P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I find it funny - they expect others to fund their idea. Honestly. Would someone like to pay me not to go to work tomorrow?

They have managed to get over 2800 Euro! No recession around here. Although they'll be hard pushed to get the other 3200 in 13 days unless there is a large "mystery" donation to bring it over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'm skeptical. They want to open a high cost business on a low budget. If I were a supplier I wouldn't be extending them any credit for 12 months at least (if they last that long).

Great idea, but I'm not sure of the execution.

Jaysus, they're at over €3700 now, that's about €900 collected in the last 2 days and 12 days left to go! Fair play to them.

I'm definitely in the wrong job.

At this rate they'll definitely succeed in getting the 6k even if they have to donate a bit themselves to hit the target.

I genuinely didn't think you could get start-up capital like that without paying back a loan or giving up some equity.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

Their €155 off their target now and 4 days remaining. Hopefully I'll soon have a nice cafe 1 minute from my door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

...that will last a month and a half

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Not sure if cynicism or just defeatist. Either way, this thread is just full of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squonk

I'm amazed! In fairness the place does need a venture like this but if you can't stump up 6 grand yourself to take the risk, then it's not worth taking IMHO. Personally I think it's a bit cheeky crowdfunding something like that, but since they've reached their target almost, then I'm wrong obviously! I just hope they make a going concern of it anyway.

The top donation perk is sucky! For €600 you get a year's free coffee. For €1000 you get the machine named after you! Big woop! :) I'd take 2 years free coffee instead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

They have exceeded their target now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

A nice coffee shop would be nice

What is is it?Just random people giving a donation?6 grand for free nothing wrong with that

Think theres another coffe shop opening up around there too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Congratulations to the Stormy teacup and reaching their crowdfund goal...
    I'm not a fan of it for this type of business as while raising funds for a fit out is one thing, generating supplier confidence in a bricks and mortar business when you are already mitigating your own exposure and costs is a worry.

That and having a very similar business opening up a few doors down....
    bigpink wrote: »

Anyways enough of my naysaying ;)
    Good luck to all involved, in both business's!
    Maybe being Niché will allow both to thrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

best of luck to both of them. Not sure Foxes Bowe is a great location to be honest and really not sure about the basement of a pub for a coffee shop, certainly wouldn't where I'd go but hats off to anyone starting a new business.

vkid wrote: »
    best of luck to both of them. Not sure Foxes Bowe is a great location to be honest and really not sure about the basement of a pub for a coffee shop, certainly wouldn't where I'd go but hats off to anyone starting a new business.

With regards to the basement located one.
    There was previously a successful coffee shop based in there(pan-o-rama I think, but the name escapes me)many moons ago.

It is quite a big space with nice potential, in previous incarnations it was a dance club and many years ago a night club and the after hours hideout spot in Mcknights!

That said, the ventilation and plumbing will both be issues without some money being spent ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

With regards to the basement located one.
    There was previously a successful coffee shop based in there(pan-o-rama I think, but the name escapes me)many moons ago.

It is quite a big space with nice potential, in previous incarnations it was a dance club and many years ago a night club and the after hours hideout spot in Mcknights!

That said, the ventilation and plumbing will both be issues without some money being spent ;)

I've been there lots of times in some of its previous guises .I never remember a coffee shop there though. Its small and very dark and as I said not where I'd go for coffee. I kind of like watching the world go by with my cuppa jo and you ain't watching anything go by down there. Not trying to be negative, I take my hat off to anyone opening a new business, just my opinion.

bigpink wrote: »

God almighty. This is going to be hipster central!!

I was going to say that the last thing Limerick needs is another bloody coffee shop.

What it needs is another decent mens clothes shop with some alternative type fashions. I'm not talking heavy metal clothing (but why not!), but an alternative from RI, Next, BTs....

Choice of clothes outside the norm in Limerick for men is non existent.

But I read that this shop will also be a vintage clothes shop. I hope they have some blokes stuff, but hopefully not all second hand. Some good new alternative clothes shop would be good , with different brands. For men!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

seachto7 wrote: »

I was going to say that the last thing Limerick needs is another bloody coffee shop.

What it needs is another decent mens clothes shop with some alternative type fashions. I'm not talking heavy metal clothing (but why not!), but an alternative from RI, Next, BTs....

But I read that this shop will also be a vintage clothes shop. I hope they have some blokes stuff, but hopefully not all second hand. Some good new alternative clothes shop would be good , with different brands. For men!

I'd say it'll be a hipster magnet alright. I wonder will it be anything like The Twisted Pepper in Abbey Street Dublin, that's a hipster paradise :) I was in there one evening a couple of weeks ago, there's a bar as well as a coffee joint in there. I was the only one in there having a beer, everyone else there was on coffee. The barmen had big beards, thick-rimmed glasses, check shirts and skinny pants.

Interesting to see what clothes they'll have. As you said I hope they do cool alternative stuff for men in there. If they do I'll be a regular customer. Johnny Moore's stall in the Market is the only place I can get cool t shirts since Nibanna in Foxe's Bow closed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

seachto7 wrote: »

It's ironic given that years ago Foxes bow was where you went if you wanted alternative type fashions. I used to get a lot of stuff there in my younger days. Still have a great leather jacket I bought second hand in Modesty in '91

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement