Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

90s birthday cake! Please help :/

Options
  • 18-02-2014 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey I've decided to do a 2 tier 90s themed chocolate biscuit cake, I'm just wondering how do I make the chocolate biscuit cake smooth, do I add melted chocolate to even it all out? Cause I'm planning on putting coloured icing sugar over It?

Also I'm just wondering does anyone know of any good/cheap cake decoration shops in Dublin with a good selection of food colouring?? Also can I do this all the night before the party? Will the icing crack or?

One last thing, I was thinking of doing like cartoon characters with icing sugar from the 90s are they difficult to do?

Thanks in advance for you help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

You can use chocolate ganache to cover the cake/even out any bumps before you put on the sugarpaste icing.
    It should be fine to ice the cake a day or 2 in advance: once it's iced the cake itself won't stale as quickly, and as long as you keep it cool but not in the fridge the sugarpaste should hold perfectly. If you use too much icing sugar when rolling out the sugarpaste it is much more likely to dry out and crack, so watch this.
    Have a look at YouTube videos for step by step cartoon characters, they're not too difficult as long as you take your time!
    As for a good place to buy food colouring, I get mine in Homestore and More, Wilton brand paste colour, I got a set of 6 or 8 colours for maybe €12? Fantastic value, as they're usually €2.49 each (not sure if that offer is available right now). In Decobake the paste colours are more expensive, about €4.50 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

If I'm thinking about a 90's theme cake I'm just thinking of crazy patterns - do you remember the theme to Saved By The Bell??

How about a base with designs on it, like this one
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bentleycouper5/2761843294/

and then some cartoon characters around the edges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

How are you going to make characters out of icing sugar? I don't get that bit.

Don't put melted chocolate on the cake, when it sets it will just crack, make extra of the liquid mix, keep it aside and fill gaps with that, or ganache as mentioned.

You can make and decorate it 2-3 days before the party, no need to leave it all til the night before.

Advertisement