Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

35mm to digital

Options
  • 17-02-2014 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

As the title states!

I've few hundred slides that have been buried deep in the attic until recently. I did a search of the forum, but the threads are very very old on the issue and I hope things have changed a bit in the mean time.

So I recently ordered and got a Wolverine F2D14, I knew it would be "cheap" and nasty prior to ordering it but hoped it would get the job done fairly well. Unfortunately it dead on arrival and I'm slow to another "cheap" job.

So what would you recommend? I'm slow to leave the slides with a 3rd party for privacy and protection sake. I'd be willing to spend some cash on it if I could use the tech for something else afterward - a very good flat bed that might be able to manage something (happy to pay €200 delivered or there about for same). Also another option would be to "rent" a very good 35mm scanner from a camera shop in Dublin, I see this mentioned as an option on the international forums but don't know if it can be done in Dublin. Or is there a lens that would work with a DSLR (The camera in question is a Nikon D100, I know, also ancient!)

Many thanks for any help to convert the slides!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Yea, they're the cheapo options that I'm trying to avoid it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Epson V500 flatbed. Cheap, good quality. Depending on what res you scan them, your looking at about an hour per roll (36 slides) if they aren't mounted.

If you did 1 roll per night, over 10 nights you'd have scanned 360 images and saved a lot of money on paying a 3rd party to scan them for you.

I bought my V500 nearly 3 years ago for about AU$330.

Every roll I got developed and scanned was working out to be about AU$20. Just getting them developed is about AU$11. So after about 35 rolls scanned through it had already paid for itself. Technically you could say I'm in profit with the scanner at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

you can pick up haselblad scanner quite cheeply the flexi fit ones there amazing!

Thanks for the replies - I actually ended up ordering a Cannon 9000F Mark 2 for €215 delivered off Amazon. I hope that'll do the job.

BTW It still hasn't shipped from Amazon so I could change to a Epson V500 if its considered a better model???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

72hundred wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies - I actually ended up ordering a Cannon 9000F Mark 2 for €215 delivered off Amazon. I hope that'll do the job.

BTW It still hasn't shipped from Amazon so I could change to a Epson V500 if its considered a better model???

Cancel the order if you can. They are TERRIBLE machines. I bought a 9900F years ago and it was terrible. It put me off shooting film it was that bad. they are renowned for being bad. They colour reproduction is bad, doesn't pick up highlights on black and white and gives slides that are underexposed a crazy magenta colour cast and makes then incredibly grainy. They V500 is easily 100 time better and that is no exaggeration.

pete4130 wrote: »
    Cancel the order if you can. They are TERRIBLE machines. I bought a 9900F years ago and it was terrible. It put me off shooting film it was that bad. they are renowned for being bad. They colour reproduction is bad, doesn't pick up highlights on black and white and gives slides that are underexposed a crazy magenta colour cast and makes then incredibly grainy. They V500 is easily 100 time better and that is no exaggeration.

Haha, a few hours too late. Shipping currently. Not to worry, I don't think I want to be paying much more and I have the 9000F on the way for €215 and I think that enough given I was happy enough initially to do the job on a €60 piece of tech of questionable quality. Also I don't need anymore tech taking up space and wasn't particularly looking for a flatbed scanner for any other reason prior to this. Also the 9900F you're talking about seem ancient (it mentions XP as on the support site!) so hopefully things have moved on a good bit since then. I'll post up a few pics in a few weeks/months when I get around to starting the digitalisation process - just for curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

I have the same one. It's actually not that bad at all. It's the software that's the problem.

Luckily, mine also came with a copy of SilverFast, which is much better and has built-in colour profiles for various brands of film.

I'm not sure if yours will have SilverFast included too - I think it varies by region.

Edited to warn that scanning on the highest DPI setting is both time consuming and redundant. Even though the box says 9600dpi it seems like the scan quality plateaus at about 2400dpi.

amdgilmore wrote: »
    I have the same one. It's actually not that bad at all. It's the software that's the problem.

Luckily, mine also came with a copy of SilverFast, which is much better and has built-in colour profiles for various brands of film.

I'm not sure if yours will have SilverFast included too - I think it varies by region.

Edited to warn that scanning on the highest DPI setting is both time consuming and redundant. Even though the box says 9600dpi it seems like the scan quality plateaus at about 2400dpi.

Yea thanks for that. A quick look brings it in at €49. I have VueScan already is that any good at this kind of project? I had got it previously as I had driver issues. Hopefully the 9000F will come with the software included.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Yea thanks for that. A quick look brings it in at €49. I have VueScan already is that any good at this kind of project? I had got it previously as I had driver issues. Hopefully the 9000F will come with the software included.

vuescan, if you're familiar with the interface, will do the job just fine. I use it for all my scanning. Though mostly I scan to raw 16bit and do the rest somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

I haven't used it, but I've heard good things. If you get good results with the Canoscan and Vuescan I can't see any reason to switch up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the canoscan software is mind bogglingly bad. hard to see how a company with that pedigree in imaging could get it so wrong.

An update:

Very happy with the Canon. Scanning of slide was good and I'm very happy with the results. This thread just popped into my head hence why the late late post!

Advertisement