Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux and order it looks up IP addresses

Options
  • 17-02-2014 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi,

just looking to clarify something here in relation to Linux and how the system looks up an IP address for a name.

I am looking to move an old server on to a new one. There are a lot of web services setup that have the old server name in scripts and I would like the option of testing one to ensure it works correctly, or more to the point, if it doesn't work, I want to revert back to the old server while I figure out the problem. To do this, I want to change the IP address temporarily (to an available one) on the new server.

What is the order Linux uses to convert names into addresses?
    Am I correct in saying that, for a test client Linux machine, I can change the /etc/hosts file to point to the (temporary) IP address of the new server, edit the order for the hosts entry to files, dns (left to right) in the nsswitch.conf file, I can then test functionality of a web service while other devices on the network will still happily be directed to the old server?

Comments

Advertisement