Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tailored suit

Options
  • 17-02-2014 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all. I am looking to get a tailored 2 piece suit and am wondering has anyone have any recommendations of where in dublin to get one, how much and long it would take? Am thinking a 2 piece tight fitting navy suit, white shirt, navy tie with braces, and want to get it tailored as it is for my wedding.

thank you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

If you are looking for a suit made from scratch to your measurements i.e. bespoke, then this is the best information I have on tailors working in Ireland. Pricewise you will need to allow between E800-E1200 for a two-piece depending on the cloth you pick and the construction i.e. fused, half-canvassed or fully-canvassed. You will need to research this yourself so you know what you're buying and getting.

Tailors in Ireland (in no order):

Thamos Wolfangel,
    24 Melifoint House,
    Mellifont Avenue,
    Dunlaoghaire,
    Co. Dublin
    Tel: 01 2807066

Ronald Johnston Master Tailor
    Huntstown Lawn
    Clonsilla
    Dublin Ireland
    Email: johnnstontailors@gmail.com
    Phone 018204378
    Mobile 0863531664

David Young,
    7 Francis Street,
    Galway,
    Ireland
    T 00353 91 564460
    M 00353 85 7364979
    E info@davidyoungbespoketailor.com
    http://www.davidyoun...poketailor.com/

Joseph Martin,
    1 Keeling Street,
    Sligo,
    Ireland
    00353 71 91 62257

Friedhelm Arntz,
    11 Belgrave Rd.,
    Rathmines,
    Dublin 6,
    Ireland
    Tel: 00353 1 4960735

Michael Johnson,
    Bridge St,
    Tullow,
    Carlow,
    Co. Carlow,
    Ireland
    00353 59 9151131

Paul Donohue,
    5 Grattan Street,
    Portlaoise,
    Co. Laois,
    telephone 057 8621597

Jas Fagan 75 Thomas St.,
    Dublin 8,
    Co. Dublin (01)4535896

Moynihan,
    7 Parliament St.,
    Cork,
    Co. Cork
    Phone: (021)4270554

Kelly Menswear
    Athlone Road
    Longford
    Ireland
    Phone: +353 (0)43 3347235

Frazer, Wm J
    Main St.,
    Hospital
    Co. Limerick (061)383118

Bogart Tailors 17 Capel St.,
    Dublin,
    Co. Dublin (01)8730771

Tallon Tailoring (Damien)
    206 Harolds Cross Rd 6W
    Co. Dublin (01)4969503

Brendan Kidd Ltd.,
    (01)8729232
    19 Capel st 1
    Co. Dublin

Louis Copeland,
    Capel St.
    Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Good set of suggestions there; there's also Abrahams on South Anne Street: www.menswear.ie.

OP, if you could give an indication of your budget that would help narrow it down. You have a range of options there, Louis Copeland would probably be the most expensive but it does depend on what you are going for. Hackett do bespoke as well and they are expensive too. On the other hand, you can go to Moss Bros and get it done for a lot less.

When buying a suit, you have three options:

1. Off the rack (OTR): this is where you buy a suit in a shop, as it is, and you take it to an alterations / tailor to get it taken in / let out / down / up / whatever you need. This is your least expensive option and can be very effective if you have a good starting point.

2. Made to Measure (MTM): This is somewhere between OTR and fully bespoke, where you choose from an existing design and cloth and you are measured accordingly to fit. This will give you a nice tailored fit, almost bespoke, but obviously not a fully bespoke experience.

3. Fully Bespoke: this is where the suit is a blank canvas. You choose your cloth, you specify the design, from the collars to the cuffs, and the suit is made from scratch. This way requires multiple fittings and can take weeks to complete. Bear that in mind if the wedding day is coming up. This way will be the most expensive.

So you have two things to think about, cut and cloth. If you are a novice at this sort of thing (and forgive me, but your "tight fitting" description suggests so - no offence!!), you may be a little out of your league with option 3. At least, you may not really need to go into that level of detail. You could go for option 2 or even option 1. Option 1 is always doable if you buy a more expensive OTR suit and get it tailored / altered to fit you perfectly. You could potentially get more for your money this way. Then, you can use the extra cash to buy a good shirt (I'd recommend checking out Louis Copeland's range of shirts - nice white shirts with great collars) and also you can be more discerning in your tie and shoe choice.

Going fully bespoke when you don't really need to may be a bit of a waste of money, IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

Do not and I repeat Do not get a tight fitting suit even if you are extremely skinny.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

Good set of suggestions there; there's also Abrahams on South Anne Street: www.menswear.ie.

The issue I had with Abrahams when I enquired was that they would only work from very light cloth, nothing heavier than 10/11oz if I recall correctly. You also had to do a bit of digging to find out if they would do fully canvassed bespoke as I think most of their work is done for them abroad.
    Louis Copeland would probably be the most expensive but it does depend on what you are going for. Hackett do bespoke as well and they are expensive too. On the other hand, you can go to Moss Bros and get it done for a lot less.

Copeland when I checked before were reasonable enough for cut, make and trim. I would counsel caution with Hackett and Moss Bros. Bespoke is not a trade protected term and is used indiscriminately for made to measure by companies like them as they do not have cutters or tailors here in Ireland. For proper bespoke you need to be measured and fitted by the person that will cut the cloth themselves and know the pattern they are working from.

I would hesitate to recommend made-to-measure unless you could be measured and fitted by a person with tailoring experience and knowledge of how the patterns used by the factory work.

Advertisement