Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Death Records for Co Limerick

Options
  • 17-02-2014 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

I am hoping to order the death certs for the following:

Thomas Conway born 1846 (Pallasgreen/Grean) died between 1911 & 1920 and this is the only record that looks possible despite he being older than he really was.
    There is another Thomas Conway who died same year/quarter, district but older still and there is a probate record dated July 1918 for a Thomas but not my Thomas.

Name: Thomas Conway
    Registration Quarter and Year: Oct - Dec 1917
    Registration District: Limerick
    Volume Number: 5
    Page Number: 227

Ellen Conway born 1844 supposed to have died circa 1923 but looking at the death records, I think the most probable is later than earlier as a cousin (b. 1920) remembers that she died when she was very young.
    Ellen Conway/ Oct-Dec 1926/Limerick/Age 79/Vol # 5/Page# 243

Unfortunately, there are no headstone inscriptions for them.

Any other possibilities?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

There's a few people with these names in the Mount St Lawrence burial registers:

http://archives.limerick.ie/index.php/Register/Search/Index

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Thanks, Pinky but I am pretty confident that they were buried locally with other family members. Probably not enough money to pay for a headstone or nobody bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

If they stayed close to Pallas/Pallasgreen then I dont think they would be registered in Limerick (city) registration district - Pallas Green seems to have been in Tipperary (town) PLU

shanew wrote: »
    If they stayed close to Pallas/Pallasgreen then I dont think they would be registered in Limerick (city) registration district - Pallas Green seems to have been in Tipperary (town) PLU

Thanks, Shane, I thought Tipperary too but couldn't find any suitable records. As I have dates of death for most of my relatives I didn't bother cross referencing with FS, but will do so later on.

Just checked my ggrandfather who died 1914 was registered in Tipperary and my ggrandmother died Oct 1921, can't find an obvious record in Tipp or Limerick districts. Oops, back to the drawing board.

I presume that's your Thomas at Ballytrasna townland in 1911 ?

There's a probate Calendar entry that might fit - a Thomas Conway farmer of Killenavena, Pallagreen, Co. Limerick. Grant was 2nd July 1918, no date of death specifically mentioned on the index card, it seems to be assumed on the transcription. Admin. was a Michael Conway farmer.

see : Thomas Conway 1918

Could be he missed the index, or the FS films, or transcriptions, or maybe he died in Limerick city ?
    (doesn't give place of death on these card entries..)

• Advertisement

I presume that's your Thomas at Ballytrasna townland in 1911 ?

There's a probate Calendar entry that might fit - a Thomas Conway farmer of Killenavena, Pallagreen, Co. Limerick. Grant was 2nd July 1918, no date of death specifically mentioned on the index card, it seems to be assumed on the transcription. Admin. was a Michael Conway farmer.

see : Thomas Conway 1918

Could be he missed the index, or the FS films, or transcriptions, or maybe he died in Limerick city ?
    (doesn't give place of death on these card entries..)

Yes, Thomas lived in Ballytarsna but the other Thomas lived in Kileenaveara, neighbouring townland, see the census here,

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Limerick/Kilmurry/Killeenavera/623910/

Maybe one/both of them were in hospital in Limerick city when they died or they didn't get around to registering the deaths?

Thanks for your help.

montgo wrote: »
    Yes, Thomas lived in Ballytarsna but the other Thomas lived in Kileenaveara, neighbouring townland, see the census here,

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Limerick/Kilmurry/Killeenavera/623910/

must be borderline for the registration districts around there - that census for Kileenaveara shows PLU as 'Limerick'

must be borderline for the registration districts around there - that census for Kileenaveara shows PLU as 'Limerick'

Ah, in that case it could well be Limerick district after all so I might have the right records. Many thanks for confirming that.

a Barony border goes right between the two townlands - so suspect Tipp. is prob. correct for Ballytrasna and Limerick for Kileenaveara. Assuming of course people stuck to this official system and it hadn't changed since 1911. Maybe there was some 'unofficial' leeway at a local level.....

Ballytransna and Kileenaveara - c1837

Edit : I think the Limerick death will turn out the be the Kileenaveara Thomas

a Barony border goes right between the two townlands - so suspect Tipp. is prob. correct for Ballytrasna and Limerick for Kileenaveara. Assuming of course people stuck to this official system and it hadn't changed since 1911. Maybe there was some 'unofficial' leeway at a local level.....

Ballytransna and Kileenaveara - c1837

Edit : I think the Limerick death will turn out the be the Kileenaveara Thomas

Many thanks for the OSI map link, Shane.

There are 2 death records for Thomas - the one above and this one which should be Thomas from Kileenaveara I assume.

Page Number: 201

And I've no joy in locating probable death records either for:

Bridget/Delia Gleeson, b. 1887 d. Aug 1933 Pallasgreen(Headstone inscription)
    Ellen English b. 1841, d. Oct 1921 Pallasgreen (H/s inscription) = although a posibilility for Ellen in Tipp district, registered 1922 but born in 1852.

Usually, there are too many probable records, this time I am struggling to find any....

• Advertisement

montgo wrote: »
    Many thanks for the OSI map link, Shane.

There are 2 death records for Thomas - the one above and this one which should be Thomas from Kileenaveara I assume.

Page Number: 201

true, I was concentrating on the districts... on the basis of ages I'd go along with that so the other one is probably Balltrasna Thomas

incidentally the name of the townland caught my attention. Dont remember much Irish, but for some reason I know Trasna=across - strange townland name. Loganim gives

'the transverse town
    The meaning of tarsna/trasna is unclear in placenames
    '

Yes, unusual name for a townland, mostly spelled Ballytrasna in old records. It appears that there are lots of Ballytrasnas/Ballytarsnas around Ireland. This particular farm was at the end of a long road/passage and most of the neighbouring adults/children crossed the fields/hills to go to church and school many miles away.

Shane, if you can help with another elusive record.

William Kinane supposedly died 1889-1891 according to his son's family in the parish of Clonbeg/Tipperary but local church in village of Galbally/Limerick. I assume that record should be in Tipp district.

William's youngest son, James was born Nov. 1889. I suppose a widow with 7 young children might not have got around to registering William's death!!!

I am not having much luck in locating death certs.

Many thanks.

do you have an estimated year of birth for William, or even date of marriage or date for first child ?

I think more detailed locations for the family might help narrow the search also - places of birth, marriage etc

Sorry, Shane, forgot to add William's birth - January 1847 baptised Galbally.

Married Galbally 1877, first child baptised 1878 in Galbally as were all his 7 children. Family recorded here for 1901 Census here:
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tipperary/Clonbeg/Ballycranna/1716450/

thanks

unfortunately I'm not seeing any good matches either based on location, approx. year of birth and likely dates of death - so either he died well out of his 'home' area, his age was incorrectly reported or his death missed registration.

There are a few gaps, errors and mis-transcriptions in the FamilySearch BMD Index, so definitely worth rechecking whenever the GRO version of the Index comes online

Moving doesn't seem likely for a farmer, plus his family stayed in the area.. suppose death in an infirmary etc might be possible, but usually would be somewhere nearby if so..

1911 census returns for ref : Kinane household, Ballycranna

I've found deaths the more difficult of the three BMDs to locate as you can worth back by date and location with the other two using census returns etc which is not possible for death registrations. Plus it's a stressful time for the family so they can make mistakes when registering - one of my gtgtgt-grandfather's age was 10 years out on the death cert, and the informant for that was his wife. The search for one of my gt-grandfather's death took about 12 certs. Turned out they moved to Dublin city from Co. Wicklow to live with a son.

here's the basic index search, with no district entered.

parameters are :
    name : William Kin*
    birth : 1840-1854
    death : 1888-1901

22 in total, but the only ones close would probably be those on Cork and Waterford, but they are not a close match by surname - i.e. King & Kingston

A search for Bill Kin* gives pretty much the same results, as does William Ken*

The closest geographic matches I found was by using 'William k*n*n*', which gives a few matches under Kennedy, in Thurles and Nenagh districts ..

Hi Shane,

Thanks for your efforts to find William's death. As his widow was left with 7 children under the age of 11 years, the death was more than likely never registered.

His son James b. 1889 visited Ireland in 1960s and tried unsuccessfully to locate his death record at that time. James' son is pretty sure that William died 1889-90.

Thank you.

Advertisement