Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't install downloaded APK

Options
  • 17-02-2014 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have an unrooted stock Samsung Note 2 running 4.3 with "Allow Mock Locations" and "Unknown Sources" ticked but when I go into Downloads and click on an APK I downloaded I'm only being offered MoboPlayer and Moon+ Reader as the options to run/install it neither of which work or are relevant as the APK is a game not a media file of some sort.

I used to flash ROMS in the past and recall always being able to install downloaded APK's regardless of whether the ROM was stock or custom or indeed whether the device was rooted but for the life of me I can't figure out what to do to install this APK.

Help?

Ben

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Download an apk installer from the play store.

That'll sort it for you! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭aoshea83

Is it a zip file by chance?

ZArchiver free from the playstore will sort ya if it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Use a file manager to make sure it's there, or open the file directly from your browser's download list

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

BenThere wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have an unrooted stock Samsung Note 2 running 4.3 with "Allow Mock Locations" and "Unknown Sources" ticked but when I go into Downloads and click on an APK I downloaded I'm only being offered MoboPlayer and Moon+ Reader as the options to run/install it neither of which work or are relevant as the APK is a game not a media file of some sort.

I used to flash ROMS in the past and recall always being able to install downloaded APK's regardless of whether the ROM was stock or custom or indeed whether the device was rooted but for the life of me I can't figure out what to do to install this APK.

Help?

Ben

Do you have these options:

Allow-Unknown-Sources.png

You could try unchecking the "verify apps" option.

Failing that, this is the apk installer I have used, and it worked for me for stubborn to install apk's:

Installer - Install APK

I don't think "allow mock locations" has any bearing on apk installation...as it is under "developer options" it is/was used by developers without GPS built-in, to allow them to set a location, usually this was on an Emulator, so not really relevent to apk installation.

It is strange that your system is not recognizing an xxxyyy.apk as an Android Application Package File, basically it is an archive file which you can check the contents of with something like 7 Zip Archiver, on your Laptop/PC:

See here, one I d/led earlier:

apk_7_zip_view.png

A good program to have on your PC/Lappy would be Apk Spy, you can get it on XDA:

Apk Spy XDA Thread

With this, you can attempt to verify the apk you have downloaded, on your PC preferably, by dropping it into this App.

Screenshots from the thread:

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Thanks guys, the APK Installer app did the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Thanks guys, the APK Installer app did the trick.

Advertisement