Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Product Design and Innovation Degree Course

Options
  • 16-02-2014 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Hi, just eager to hear from anyone who has been through the degree in Product Design in IT Carlow to get an idea of how they got on afterwards in terms of employment, skills learned, and if they can recommend it really?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Anyone?

Would be glad to hear from current final year students even. Very hard to hear feedback from the course like lots of others :(

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭e-Mo0?

Graduated a few years ago, one of the better product design courses in Ireland at the moment. There aren't a huge amount of jobs for grads in Ireland, there are so many ID courses in Ireland now you really need to be in the top 2/3 of a class to expect anything close to traditional product design, mainly medical design in Ireland (Also option of medical design masters after).

Saying that it does have a lot of opportunities in other areas, some grads have gone into furniture design, POS design, graphics, CAD techs and just plain product engineering.

I would recommend the course in Carlow, I think UL currently have the best course but Carlow isnt too far behind. Ireland in general is a little behind so to give yourself the best opportunity do the following -
    • Enter Comps online
    • INTERNSHIP! Get as many as you can over summers, time off anything and anywhere.
    • Check out profolio's of European & American students behance.net
    • Sketch, sketch, sketch.
    • Learn about plastic design by the end of 2nd year

Finally, it is a tough course but you really need to be self motivated and push yourself. I cant stress enough about getting an internship, real world is a lot different.

Advertisement