Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoPro and kayaking

Options
  • 16-02-2014 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Right! I got a GoPro for my Birthday and need some advice. I have charged it and started playing with it. How do people edit the videos? Started messing with GoPro studio but can't export any finalised (crappy) edits?!?! Not a great bit of software for newbies.

So who are my experts with these little action cameras? HELP!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

Also what do you use to mount to kayaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

The 3m mounts you get are quite solid but I always lanyard it as a back up to the grab loop. As for software I Eh, "obtained" the adobe one but windows has a movie maker built in which is quite handy!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I've used the GoPro software and it's fairly easy. Look at some of the tutorials on youtube and you'll get the hang of it. It takes a bit of getting used to the whole "export" thing but once you figure it out it's handy enough.

As I'm typing this, I'm patiently waiting for my kayaking trip around Lough Owel today to export. I'm using Adobe Premier Pro for this one and it's even more complicated than the GoPro software. I'll post the linky when it's done....

Read the GoPro studio manual, updated software and graphics driver and still no joy. Used Windows movie maker (coz it was already installed on my PC - who knew) and found it easy enough to mess with. Just merged two short video clips from around the house, added music and some credits and presto another crappy movie clip. BUT it is done.

SO:
    Now I figured out that it works and it has a crap battery, mounting it is the next plan.

So we need a kayaking movie link thread now??? :D

Not a bad idea.

I stopped putting up individual trips (unless they're big ones) but I am working on a kind of montage now at the moment ( and for the past year )

• Advertisement

There you go, the latest epic production. Six minutes of paddling with some incredible underwater footage of.......nothing! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭barraseaclaid

hey pullandbang what mount are you using for the kayak to achieve the shots you got at 2:03 etc?

hey pullandbang what mount are you using for the kayak to achieve the shots you got at 2:03 etc?

Oh it's very high tech! http://www.ebay.ie/itm/181260388082

Just stuck it into one of the rod holders behind me. For the frontal shots it's stuck in the rod holder in front of me and for the underwater stuff.....well you can work that one out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I use the adhesive mounts on my helmet and one on the front of my boat. I have one on my paddle to which can give a cool POV.

MadYaker wrote: »
    I use the adhesive mounts on my helmet and one on the front of my boat. I have one on my paddle to which can give a cool POV.

Any shots of it on your paddle ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

Anyone have any tips for mounting a gopro to the back of a kayak?

One of the lads in my club did something like this however he used bendy pipe and ran a fail safe string through the pipe in case it came off.

Alternatively, you can buy fit for purpose ones from I-canoe.

I am still looking for a proper method to bow mount a Cam. Preferably up a bit off the deck to get a full view of stroke and keep it out of the waves.

Anyone got an idea

Advertisement