Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cong river?

Options
  • 16-02-2014 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

What is the current status of the cong river? in terms of where is free and where does the castle charge. i've read a lot of stuff on different forums and there does seem a lot of confusion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

This may help or perhaps you know this already
    http://www.fishinginireland.info/salmon/west/corrib.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

its just that term regarded as free. does not seem very clear cut. i had read that the castle wasn't issuing permits. but dont know if that was in past years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The castle control the fishing from the lake up as far as the eel weir. If you're not a local you will need a permit to fish that stretch. Locals are also supposed to have permits, but AFAIK a blind eye is turned to avoid conflict, but with the castle under new ownership recently this could change. From the eel weir upstream to the hatchery is free fishing currently, the fishing rights are owned by Coillte AFAIK but they don't manage it and no permits are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

well i live locally at glencorrib about 10 mins away. but im not local born and bred!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

well i live locally at glencorrib about 10 mins away. but im not local born and bred!

Locally would be living in Cong and a member of the local club...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Zzippy wrote: »
    Locally would be living in Cong and a member of the local club...

I'd agree with that. As Zzippy says you could well be considered local. Seek out some other anglers in the area and talk it through with them. A polite visit to the castle might sort things as well.

Advertisement