Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Release Sonic Boom on multiple platforms !

Options
  • 16-02-2014 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

jGfvGAFSUryGSMG-556x313-noPad.jpg

Sign the petition here !

Lately, Sega revealed a new branch of the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise for the Western audiences, called Sonic Boom. It's a risk-taking alternate vision of the Sonic universe, created to please the existing fanbase, but also to enlarge it. It includes a animated TV series, a merchandising line, and of course, a video game.

When the Sonic Boom video game was revealed for the first time, it was greeted not only by the media during previews, but also by the majority of the fanbase. All thanks to the return of several gameplay ideas that made the success of the first Sonic games on Dreamcast, such as the focus on exploration and story, the large free-roaming levels, the equally important characters with their own abilities, but also of nice new ideas, such as the multiplayer in career mode and the Enerbeam system. Even the redesign of the characters didn't bother that much (if we except Knuckles) and even some of the fanbase like it.

This game seems to be the prototype of the perfect Sonic game. But there is a problem that ruins everything : it's a Nintendo exclusive ! And that because of the exclusivity agreement between Nintendo and Sega.

You may be wondering where I'm going do not know, but I would explain to you the three problems that cause the commercial failure of the game, if not the entire branch.

1. Like I said, Sonic Boom was created to please the existing fanbase, but also to enlarge it. MOSTLY, to enlarge it. Sega has spent years of development and marketing research to try to attract the general public once again to the Sonic franchise, as the current public, fans who followed Sonic since years, began to run out since a long time. That's why Sega is trying to aim the 6-11 years old, or in other words, kids. The obvious fact is that not every kid have or want a Wii U. Many of them have a Xbox 360 or a PS3 instead, and many of them are waiting for a Xbox One and a PS4.

2. The Wii U is in a gloomy business situation, and that despite the slighty boosting sales during the Christmas season. And this is not the future boosting sales due to Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. 4 that will ensure the commercial success of the Sonic Boom game.

3. The first Sonic game from the agreement, Sonic Lost World, bombed. Or to be nice, is far to be successful. Sega has only shipped 640,000 copies of Sonic Lost World for both Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS, worldwide. Sonic Generations, which is multiplatform, has sold over 3 million copies worldwide.

So, it gives a good idea why making Sonic Boom a Nintendo exclusive isn't such a good idea. Especially at the base, when the game's development began in 2011, it was planned to be released on multiple platforms.

We therefore ask Sega to revise its agreement with Nintendo and make the Sonic Boom game multiplatform, so also on PC, PS4, Xbox One, PS3 and Xbox 360.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

people were actually impressed by that video?

jesus, looking at knuckles hurts

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TriTails34

people were actually impressed by that video?

jesus, looking at knuckles hurts

As a member of the Sonic fan community, I confirm that the majority of fans were indeed impressed with the first images of the game .

And the only fault they find, is the redesign of Knuckles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well this petition is a load of arse.

'All thanks to the return of several gameplay ideas that made the success of the first Sonic games on Dreamcast'

Nostalgia bubble bursting: The Dreamcast games weren't any good to begin with and are as bad as any of the latest 3D games that get a lot of hate with all the same flaws.

Also it's a Nintendo exclusive because Nintendo paid Sega for the rights to the game and are funding development. In other words the game wouldn't be happening if not for Nintendo funding it. This petition is as dumb as all the people complaining that Bayonetta 2 isn't multiplatform.

It's not like anyone is stopping you from playing it, just buy a WiiU.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

In a way I admire the stubborn loyalty of the Sonic fan community: staying loyal in the face of disaster after disaster.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

And common sense...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

e616be070ddcfcabdbeb7d7a0fa42253.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TriTails34

SeantheMan wrote: »
    e616be070ddcfcabdbeb7d7a0fa42253.jpg

*checks my Pokedex*

SONICSUCKS : Overrated joke that become less and less true over the years.

Seriously, even if this joke represents reality, it would be adressed to only the Sonic Team's games.

Here, we got Bob Rafei, former Naughty Dog's artist, on the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

TriTails34 wrote: »
    *checks my Pokedex*

Seriously, even if this joke represents reality, it would be adressed to only the Sonic Team's games.

If he's responsible for Knuckles new design, then he's not off to a very good start.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

As a member of the Sonic fan community, I confirm that the majority of fans were indeed impressed with the first images of the game .

And the only fault they find, is the redesign of Knuckles.

There's a Sonic fan community?
    What a bunch of functioning manic depressives they must be, flicking from epic optimism with a games announcement to abject despair when the game is released and it turns out to be yet another failure to capture the last decent Sonic game, Sonic 3, from 20 years ago.

Sonic cycle poster someone, please?

Instead of bemoaning the format of choice for the new game, rejoice instead!
    If the game turns out to be brilliant then it'll be a massive and wholly unexpected boost to sales of the beleaguered and unfairly mmaligned WiiU.
    Then again of, in the more likely situation, it turns out to be donkey crap, you can be thankful that you are unable to be drawn to buying the game, instead thanking your lucky stars for a bullet dodged.

Remember, levels featuring Big the Cat scar for life, not just Christmas!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

*checks my Pokedex*

I'm afraid you're belief in the series is good to see but misplaced as they continually release poor Sonic titles by any and all metrics.
    The only not care Sonic game recently was Sonic Colors.
    Aside from that the series has lurched from misfire to misfire.
    Even the decent GBA and DS titles were derivative of the originals but packed full of instant unavoidable death pits that only reruns would make known.
    So, no the cartoon is quite right.
    And the evidence is objective and everywhere, aside from the poor true believers mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

You are in wrong neighbourhood son. This place is crawling with Mario Gangs.

Said that - Stupid petition. Nintendo funding the game. If you are such an Fan of Sonic, then you should kiss Nintendos Ass right now and buy Wii U. If not Nintendo, there would be no other Sonic game. Even if it does look dreadful.

I've visions of Italian plumbers in red and green moving into the world at large and beating the tar out of hedgehogs after that post!

But I do think you're being unfair, you don't have to be a NNintendo evangelist to appreciate good poor Sonic games have gotten.
    Seeing that this conversation would have been the same prior to the 3 game exclusivity deal when Sonic was released across all platforms.
    And the argument also holds water only when Sonics only competition was Mario, which hasn't been true for 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

jGfvGAFSUryGSMG-556x313-noPad.jpg

Sign the petition here !

Lately, Sega revealed a new branch of the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise for the Western audiences, called Sonic Boom. It's a risk-taking alternate vision of the Sonic universe, created to please the existing fanbase, but also to enlarge it. It includes a animated TV series, a merchandising line, and of course, a video game.

When the Sonic Boom video game was revealed for the first time, it was greeted not only by the media during previews, but also by the majority of the fanbase. All thanks to the return of several gameplay ideas that made the success of the first Sonic games on Dreamcast, such as the focus on exploration and story, the large free-roaming levels, the equally important characters with their own abilities, but also of nice new ideas, such as the multiplayer in career mode and the Enerbeam system. Even the redesign of the characters didn't bother that much (if we except Knuckles) and even some of the fanbase like it.

This game seems to be the prototype of the perfect Sonic game. But there is a problem that ruins everything : it's a Nintendo exclusive ! And that because of the exclusivity agreement between Nintendo and Sega.

You may be wondering where I'm going do not know, but I would explain to you the three problems that cause the commercial failure of the game, if not the entire branch.

1. Like I said, Sonic Boom was created to please the existing fanbase, but also to enlarge it. MOSTLY, to enlarge it. Sega has spent years of development and marketing research to try to attract the general public once again to the Sonic franchise, as the current public, fans who followed Sonic since years, began to run out since a long time. That's why Sega is trying to aim the 6-11 years old, or in other words, kids. The obvious fact is that not every kid have or want a Wii U. Many of them have a Xbox 360 or a PS3 instead, and many of them are waiting for a Xbox One and a PS4.

2. The Wii U is in a gloomy business situation, and that despite the slighty boosting sales during the Christmas season. And this is not the future boosting sales due to Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. 4 that will ensure the commercial success of the Sonic Boom game.

3. The first Sonic game from the agreement, Sonic Lost World, bombed. Or to be nice, is far to be successful. Sega has only shipped 640,000 copies of Sonic Lost World for both Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS, worldwide. Sonic Generations, which is multiplatform, has sold over 3 million copies worldwide.

So, it gives a good idea why making Sonic Boom a Nintendo exclusive isn't such a good idea. Especially at the base, when the game's development began in 2011, it was planned to be released on multiple platforms.

We therefore ask Sega to revise its agreement with Nintendo and make the Sonic Boom game multiplatform, so also on PC, PS4, Xbox One, PS3 and Xbox 360.

The petition will come in handy as i have run out of toilet roll.... :D

If you wanna play the game stump up and buy a nintendo console simple as...

There is no petition here to bring titanfall to wii u.....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Im a persistent Sonic fan (to a near stupid level) but that just looks awful.
    Also feck off dubstep

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

How can anyone still care about Sonic?

Stubborn nostalgia and idiotic optimism :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Stubborn nostalgia and idiotic optimism :o

And furries. Furries love the **** out of Sonic.

Wtf is a furry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

To be fair, what I'd consider the grail-series of Sonic game (Sonic 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles) were fantastic, fantastic games. They made a huge impact at the time, & to this day, even with all the modern gizmo's & massive increase in processing power...there hasn't been a Sonic game to come anywhere near how good they were imo, Sonic 4 for example. Some may view that as nostalgic, I don't, because if I were to fire any of those games up right now...they would be as playable & as great today as they were all those years ago. Level design, controls, soundtrack, pacing...they hit the nail on the head every time.

I'd consider myself a pretty big fan of those games, but not a 'Sonic fan' as it were. There are far more terrible Sonic games than there are decent ones.The series should have died a long, long time ago.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    And furries. Furries love the **** out of Sonic.
    I TOLD YOU NOT TO TALK ABOUT MY SECRET LIFE!!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Wtf is a furry?

People who like to dress up as animals with human characteristics , and then have weird sex with each other in said costumes.

The first part is definitely true....the 2nd....sort of

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furry_fandom
    Of the furry fans that reported being in a relationship (approximately half of the surveyed population), 76% were in a relationship with another member of furry fandom.[10] Examples of sexual aspects within furry fandom include erotic art and furry-themed cybersex.[33][34] The term "yiff" is most commonly used to indicate sexual activity or sexual material within the fandom—this applies to sexual activity and interaction within the subculture whether in the form of cybersex or offline.[35][36]

Sexual attraction to furry characters is a polarized issue within the fandom; in one survey with 4300 furry respondents, 37% answered that sexual attraction is important in their furry activities, 38% were ambivalent, and 24% answered that it has little or nothing to do with their furry activities.[32] In a different online survey, 33% of furry respondents answered that they have a "significant sexual interest in furry", another 46% stated they have a "minor sexual interest in furry", and the remaining 21% stated they have a "non-sexual interest in furry". The survey specifically avoided adult-oriented websites to prevent bias

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

unless the petition signees intend to pay nintendo back the money it cost them for its exclusivity deal with Sega, I'd suggest it's not worth the code its comprised of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

You know what, I'd love to want to love sonic again, like I did when I was 10 or 11, and sonic heroes and adventure 2 were the best games ever to me. But they're just awful. The only half way decent sonic games in recent years have been the ones on portable consoles, the rush games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I too hold the 16bit games as some of my favourite platformers of all time but I be lying to myself if i said I am happy with the direction sonic has faced itself since dreamcast when the series has slipped into a blackhole of false identites.

I did enoy sonic colours and generations aload to be fair and I did feel while it still was not close to the orginial trilogy with better improvments on the forumla they finally had something to work on that worked they instead through everything out the window again with sonic lost world and went back to square one again.

Sonic lost its identity and has been experimented on too many times for me at this stage that tells me what sega wants to do with the franchise.

There merely imatating Mario with lost world and now imatating ratchet and clank with sonic boom.

Sonic is just like mickey mouse to me as a character it represents what videogames meant to me for my childhood but outside of its legacy and what it held for me as the first game i booted up as a kid with my dad on the megadrive and the joys I had it serves no purpose in its current state

Advertisement