Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you keep your mobile number private

Options
  • 15-02-2014 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

If I ring someone from my mobile , what should i prefix it with to keep my number from displying in receipient's mobile? Can this be done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

I believe its #31# in front of the number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

bobbyss wrote: »
    If I ring someone from my mobile , what should i prefix it with to keep my number from displying in receipient's mobile? Can this be done?

or you can hide it permanently in settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Was talking about this last week in the pub, out of 11 of us 8 don't answer a private number. Just to keep this in mind ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

In call settings, you can select to not send your ID, so it will show as a private number when you ring someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

I find it quite rude when people ring me with a private number, so I don't answer them. Have you got some kind of reason why you don't want your number displayed?

Would you appreciate someone knocking on your door wearing a mask? No!

The only time I ever ring people with my number off is when they owe me money. Works every time :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

SamAK wrote: »
    I find it quite rude when people ring me with a private number, so I don't answer them. Have you got some kind of reason why you don't want your number displayed?

Would you appreciate someone knocking on your door wearing a mask? No!

The only time I ever ring people with my number off is when they owe me money. Works every time :p

DO you consider it rude because you have to wait a few seconds to speak to them to find out who it is, or because they are denying you seeing who it is and so the chance to ignore them if they are not important enough to you to speak to them ?

I wonder in the days of only landlines without caller ID, did anyone answer them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I love how these types of threads end up taking a turn for the worse! lol

Anyway, for future reference, you can find this answer, and many more concerning network codes, in the FAQs. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Sandwlch wrote: »
    DO you consider it rude because you have to wait a few seconds to speak to them to find out who it is, or because they are denying you seeing who it is and so the chance to ignore them if they are not important enough to you to speak to them ?

I won't go into all my reasons for not wanting to speak to certain people....but suffice to say I am the sort of person that just does not take calls in certain situations or at certain times! And if i'm doing something that requires my full attention at the time, I know who was trying to ring me and I just call them back when i'm not busy! If the number is private I can't do that!
    Sandwlch wrote: »
    I wonder in the days of only landlines without caller ID, did anyone answer them ?

In the days of landlines, the technology wasn't available to us so we didn't have a bloody choice! If the phone kept ringing and ringing then we eventually worked out that it was something/someone important! The 'brute force' method! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Yeah #31# is what you want...

I remember the first time a number showed up on my mobile - it was in the days of 0503-31xxx for Carlow and a mate of mine from college rang me one Saturday - He'd normally be home in Wicklow, and I said "You're in Carlow". Cue aghastness! :D

Ah the innocence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

wilser wrote: »
    Was talking about this last week in the pub, out of 11 of us 8 don't answer a private number. Just to keep this in mind ;)

i don't like them

but I also find that a lot of important(non social) calls will be private number

• Advertisement
Advertisement