Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survival tin - tins?

Options
  • 15-02-2014 1:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭

We haven't had a survival tin thread in a while so I won't drag up any of the old ones.

Idly browsing camping stove and mess tin stuff on Amazon I spotted the Trangia Mess Tin
    Trangia-Mess-Tin-Small_1.jpg
    Its a very simple design but has the virtue of a decent lid so looks like it has potential for using as a survival tin. At 6.5 in. x 3.5 in. x 2.6 in you should be able to put a decent amount of useful stuff in it. Looks like best current price without having to worry about delivery is £10.22

Other possibles of similar size are the sigg aluminium lunch box but that has no handles and gets poor reviews as its not very strong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

I use the BCB Crusader tin http://www.ebay.ie/itm/BCB-STAINLESS-STEEL-CRUSADER-MESS-TINS-Fry-pan-CUP-CANTEEN-COOKER-WATER-BOTTLES-/350799824879?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item51ad4c87ef
    as my mess tin for hiking and camping and love it. As a survival tin it would also be ideal and with a handle on the lid it makes an ideal frying pan

I picked up a 16oz Stainless Steel Nalgene bottle like this 32oz http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Nalgene-Backpacker-Stainless-Steel-Bottle-32-Ounce-Opening-For-Easy-Cleaning-/271338600581?pt=AU_Bicycle_Accessorries&hash=item3f2d0a7885
    This I use like a survival tin but can add an emergency poncho and blanket to it I do plan on getting a 32oz one soon as the 16oz I can only fit a standard emergency blanket in and Id rather use the Adventure Medical ones

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Are they waterproof? Nothing worse than soggy band aids and cotton wool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Tabnabs wrote: »

No but the Trangia is a good shape to put tape around the edges and I always put anything that can get soggy in small ziplock bags.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    The BCB one isnt either but unless your wading through a river you should be ok and a little harder to put tape on it but its possible

The classic 2oz tobacco tin isn't waterproof neither is an Altoids tin so waterproofness is a plus feature in a survival tin not a prerequisite.

However my current survival "tin" is a small waterproof plastic food box.

• Advertisement

I got a few of these survival boxes http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-PLASTIC-WATERPROOF-TIN-Bushcraft-h-/360289319233?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item53e2eab941 free a few years ago 100% waterproof but too small for my liking regarding survival so I use them for holding tablets in my kits

Here is a survival tin thats waterproof and looks a good size for fitting everything needed http://www.survivalaids.com/alu-lite-storage-box82

That highlander tin is a bit on the thin side (have looked at them in the past, maybe copies of a similar sigg product?) and not much use as anything other than a tin, the point of the Trangia mess tins is just that they are mess tins (or rather tin not sure the lid is so useful) so if you throw in some water purification tablets and plus teabags, stock cubes or whatever else you might want as a hot drink you are a good way to getting a brew with just the survival tin and its contents leaving plenty of room for all the other usual survival tin stuff.

When I have some money I might give them a try. Just noticed that my current survival survival tin (a clip sided waterproof plastic box) would fit inside the Trangia mess tins with room to spare so that might be a solution.

Its really down to how much weight and bulk I'm prepared to carry as an EDC Survival Tin? If it gets to big and heavy it won't get taken everywhere which rather defeats the purpose. However there is room in it for other emergency only stuff like a space blanket so I think it might work out OK.

That highlander tin is a bit on the thin side (have looked at them in the past, maybe copies of a similar sigg product?) and not much use as anything other than a tin, the point of the Trangia mess tins is just that they are mess tins (or rather tin not sure the lid is so useful) so if you throw in some water purification tablets and plus teabags, stock cubes or whatever else you might want as a hot drink you are a good way to getting a brew with just the survival tin and its contents leaving plenty of room for all the other usual survival tin stuff.

When I have some money I might give them a try. Just noticed that my current survival survival tin (a clip sided waterproof plastic box) would fit inside the Trangia mess tins with room to spare so that might be a solution.

Its really down to how much weight and bulk I'm prepared to carry as an EDC Survival Tin? If it gets to big and heavy it won't get taken everywhere which rather defeats the purpose. However there is room in it for other emergency only stuff like a space blanket so I think it might work out OK.
    What turns me off the trangia and the highlander and most other survival tins is they are aluminium not stainless steel like the bcb crusader mess tin and the nalgene bottle. Had a bad experience with aluminium mess / survival tins in the past so not keen to repeat it

• Advertisement
Advertisement