Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subjects for Leaving Cert

Options
  • 14-02-2014 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi, I'm currently in TY, and it's coming up to the stage that we have to start selecting our Leaving Cert subjects. I have read a few other threads and researched several topics and subjects, I'd just like to get people's opinion on a few subjects.

Firstly, the extended list of subjects I am planning to choose from are:
    Economics
    History
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Biology
    Religion
    Classical Studies

I will be doing English, Maths, and German for definite, hopefully won't have to do Irish.

I want to pick 4 of these, which means I'll have to do one outside of school. I want to do two sciences, preferably Chemistry and Physics but am unsure if I need Biology for certain courses i.e. Medicine.

We have to do Religion in our school but we can choose to do it as an exam subject or not, I'm thinking I might as well learn something and do the exam class? I enjoyed it in JC and got an A. What's the course like? Any opinions?

I enjoy parts of History, but what I'm really concerned about is the large course and if a big chunk of it is Irish history, especially early Irish history eg Famine? I really find it boring, but I enjoy most of history. Any opinions on the course as a whole?

Also, how important is the teacher in your opinion? Not sure how much of a factor it should be.

Sorry if this is really long, you don't have to answer it all but any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭TooMuchStudy

Hi, first of all I'd definitely pick biology. It is very manageable subject once you put the work in and is definitely the easiest of the 3 sciences (I do all 3)
    Personally, I think chemistry is a hard subject to get your head around but there's not too much stuff to learn but the concepts are difficult.
    Physics, some sections are easy (mechanics, sound, light) but there are some harder sections to the course (electricity/magnets) .

If you definitely want to do one subject, I'd definitely recommend biology

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

You need to check individual entry requirements to see do they need biology for medicine. You will defo need chemistry anyway. If you're a good essay writer religion and history and classical studies will suit you. If you're not, you will find them extremely difficult. Biology is mostly rote learning but there aren't really any essays, just learning off facts and answers.

If you're looking for a subject to do outside of school, Economics is ideal. It does involve a heavy amount of theory however and parts of it can be difficult to get your head around.

One thing that people don't bear in mind enough in my opinion is the pressure you will be under come March and April of 6th year. If you take up history, religion and German you will have an oral and two projects piled on top of you along with the Hpat to take care of. If you really think you would do well in history and religion by all means take them up though.

Also, have you considered Home Ec? It can be similar to biology in content in many places and the project is taken care of by halloween of sixth year.

If I may ask what grounds would you be able to get away without doing Irish? While it is not an entry requirement for some courses, your school will still probably force you to at least do Ordinary level as if they let you off doing it then everyone else in your year will try to pull the same thing.
    However, if you have grounds for a legitimate exemption, then this shouldn't be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

thelad95 wrote: »
    Also, have you considered Home Ec?

Don't do Home-Ec! Despite ninety percent of the cohort being girls, the A-rate is super low.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Jack_OLantern

One thing that people don't bear in mind enough in my opinion is the pressure you will be under come March and April of 6th year. If you take up history, religion and German you will have an oral and two projects piled on top of you along with the Hpat to take care of. If you really think you would do well in history and religion by all means take them up though.
    That's a good point thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I like essays, but as you said, that is a significant amount of work. I would probably choose one or the other.
    Also, have you considered Home Ec? It can be similar to biology in content in many places and the project is taken care of by halloween of sixth year.
    I haven't really considered it, mainly because I didn't do it in JC and I'm horrible at cooking :). It does seem interesting, but as I said, I would only do Biology if I needed the science, I wouldn't want to do it unless I had to.
    If I may ask what grounds would you be able to get away without doing Irish? While it is not an entry requirement for some courses, your school will still probably force you to at least do Ordinary level as if they let you off doing it then everyone else in your year will try to pull the same thing.
    However, if you have grounds for a legitimate exemption, then this shouldn't be a problem.

I am planning to apply for an NUI exemption as I was born outside of Ireland. This would mean that those universities would not require me to have Irish. Technically, I still have to be in class, I just don't have to take the exam, but I am working on convincing my school to let me study in the library or something.

Thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Jack_OLantern

Hi, first of all I'd definitely pick biology. It is very manageable subject once you put the work in and is definitely the easiest of the 3 sciences (I do all 3)
    Personally, I think chemistry is a hard subject to get your head around but there's not too much stuff to learn but the concepts are difficult.
    Physics, some sections are easy (mechanics, sound, light) but there are some harder sections to the course (electricity/magnets) .

If you definitely want to do one subject, I'd definitely recommend biology

I have heard that there is a lot of learning by rote and that an A is very difficult in Biology. Also the course is very long, and if I choose History, that could be two large courses. I will consider it though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

That's a good point thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I like essays, but as you said, that is a significant amount of work. I would probably choose one or the other.

I haven't really considered it, mainly because I didn't do it in JC and I'm horrible at cooking :). It does seem interesting, but as I said, I would only do Biology if I needed the science, I wouldn't want to do it unless I had to.

I am planning to apply for an NUI exemption as I was born outside of Ireland. This would mean that those universities would not require me to have Irish. Technically, I still have to be in class, I just don't have to take the exam, but I am working on convincing my school to let me study in the library or something.

Thanks for the help!

Good luck with that. I found out halfway through sixth year that I could have claimed an exemption as well :( as I was born in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Hi, I'm currently in TY, and it's coming up to the stage that we have to start selecting our Leaving Cert subjects. I have read a few other threads and researched several topics and subjects, I'd just like to get people's opinion on a few subjects.

Economics
    History
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Biology
    Religion
    Classical Studies

I will be doing English, Maths, and German for definite, hopefully won't have to do Irish.

I want to pick 4 of these, which means I'll have to do one outside of school. I want to do two sciences, preferably Chemistry and Physics but am unsure if I need Biology for certain courses i.e. Medicine.

We have to do Religion in our school but we can choose to do it as an exam subject or not, I'm thinking I might as well learn something and do the exam class? I enjoyed it in JC and got an A. What's the course like? Any opinions?

I enjoy parts of History, but what I'm really concerned about is the large course and if a big chunk of it is Irish history, especially early Irish history eg Famine? I really find it boring, but I enjoy most of history. Any opinions on the course as a whole?

Also, how important is the teacher in your opinion? Not sure how much of a factor it should be.

Sorry if this is really long, you don't have to answer it all but any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

In terms of the sciences. Chemistry is usually a requirement for Medicine so that'd be a safe choice and usually they want you to have one more science but doesn't specify which one. I do Physics and Biology too and out of the two I'd say Biology would probably be easier, but Physics isn't too bad (a bit dull at points). So I'd recommend you to take Chemistry and either Biology or Physics.

As far taking a subject outside of school Economics or Classical Studies would probably be the best option. As the sciences all have practical aspects and History and Religion have projects that you need a teacher to sign off on.

My friend takes Classical Studies and loves it but says she doesn't know how anyone could manage the exam outside of school, whereas she said Economics is very doable. So Economics might be easier but I'm sure if you were willing to commit you could do Classical Studies outside of school! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

Economics
    History
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Biology
    Religion
    Classical Studies

Hi I'm in Fifth Year now and do some of the subjects you've listed above. I've noticed that you haven't mentioned a language, was that a mistake, it's an important entry requirement.

I do Biology and I actually enjoy it alot. You'll either go one way or the other with Biology, the only way to do well is to learn the highlighted definitions as you do the chapter and revise them before exams etc. It's an enjoyable subject but there's alot to learn. Thankfully though alot of it's just learning off! I don't do physics.. but I have a lot of friends who do and it's very much associated with maths.. I think if you're interested in Medicine Biology is a far better and perhaps easier subject choice.. (Once you work!)

I do Chemistry also and it's very difficult. I do all Higher Level and without the doubt it's the hardest... I devote the most study time to it and while I'm definitely on top of the work load it's hard sometimes. However if you're interested in Medicine it's a requirement! Keep on top of the work load or you'll be sorry! :)

History is alot of work. I hated Geography in Junior Cycle but love it this year. It's just learning off and easy to do well in :)

Hope I've helped in any way!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

I have heard that there is a lot of learning by rote and that an A is very difficult in Biology. Also the course is very long, and if I choose History, that could be two large courses. I will consider it though!

I suppose, long is relative regarding History. You don't have to study everything at the end of the day, although it depends on the module.

If you are interested in Medicine though, definitely do Chemistry. It's a nice little subject, fairly decent choice on the exam itself. It requires a bit of thought and logic, which is nice if you are that way orientated. Physics requires more on that front I find mind you.

Anyway, definitely do two sciences, I think if you aren't going to do a third science, do a course that is short for a subject outside school (Economics is probably a good choice on that front), something like History will probably aid your English skills I guess, but not massively.

Have you considered Applied Maths outside school?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

you will need irish for some university's and English

http://www.nui.ie/college/entry-requirements.asp

• Advertisement
Advertisement