Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Maths-SHM

Options
  • 14-02-2014 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys, posting for the first time here.

So in school I am studying applied maths and really like it. I think what we are doing is quite a standard technique, preparing 8 out of the 10 questions. We did uniform acceleration, relative velocity, newton's laws, collisions, projectiles, differential equations and statics. We are going to be doing moments of inertia/rigid body rotation after the mocks. I'm not to worried for the mocks, applied maths tends to be a good exam for me but that is because I am intending to not answer statics.
    We are using "Fundamental Applied Maths 2nd edition" by the way, class book but I thought that on Chapter 8 (statics) which is enormous, goes to Exercise 8J, was concentrated on a lot of things that never are asked in the exam. For example working out the centre of gravities of objects seemed like a pointless exercise when I looked and did the past paper questions. My problem solving skills seem to disappear with statics and most of my class share a similar view. So I'm trying to be proactive and reduce my whining about the difficulty of statics. Therefore I decided to start looking at Circular motion(CM) and Simple Harmonic motion(SHM) as an alternative question which I will answer because I hoped there would be some crossover between it and the physics course.

So I was going through the chapters the last 2 days and came across an issue. In some of the vertical simple harmonic examples and questions they expected me to know how to use relative density and work out buoyancy force. I found that you learn this in hydrostatics which was strange because they were asking it in the SHM questions. What I was wondering is, is buoyancy and relative density as far as they are going to ask in relation to objects floating in water in SHM q's? Also do I have to learn the CM proofs as well for the exam and what 8 questions did you guys prepare for your exam?

Advertisement