Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dissertation on media reporting/bias in NI

Options
  • 14-02-2014 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Howdee,

Maybe someone could help tease this out with me.

I am hoping to do a dissertation on media in NI since 1998, however I'm still trying to nail down an angle I could take.

I had originally thought of the flag issue, and how it was reported.

But it's too narrow. Then I thought about looking at allegations of bias in reporting in NI media since the GFA/BA.

Or possibly looking at areas that get neglected by the press in NI that have their own story.

At a loss so far :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boomchicawawa

Not an expert as you can see by my own post. But the media in NI is notoriously biased..as in each community has its own newspaper...could you do a comparison of news stories as told in the Newsletter / Irish news/ Belfast telegraph to show how one story is weaved to portray something to each community that might be seen as neutral to others ? Sorry if this is a lame suggestion ! and good luck with your dissertation !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I'll have a look into those. Thanks.

Mods, could this be moved to the media forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Moved as requested.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

You could also look at the mainstream media coverage here in the RoI. The Twelfth could be an interesting piece where the bias towards the Nationalist agenda is blatantly obvious, in my opinion. You get the customary shot of the Irish flag burning in East Belfast on the news and in the papers, the areas of conflict are reported on but the hundreds of marches that pass of peacefully, including those that take place in the RoI, are completely ignored.

It could make for a very interesting piece.

• Advertisement

Yes, that is a good point about the 12th of July. I put in my pre proposal last week, but I can change it as I go.

I was going to just stick to the flag protest and the media reporting the protests.

Do they ever report on other issues to do with "loyalism". My impression from what I see is that loyalism is right wing and reactionary. I could be wrong. Are all loyalists thugs? I doubt it. This is what I am trying to achieve with the dissertation.

What about those who see themselves as British in the North, but don't go around flag waving and marching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

seachto7 wrote: »
    Are all loyalists thugs? I doubt it. This is what I am trying to achieve with the dissertation.

What about those who see themselves as British in the North, but don't go around flag waving and marching.

Of course they are not. Are you can probably guess, a heavy majority are really decent people who just want to celebrate this culture in peace. Have you thought about looking at Ulster Scots? They have an agency. Link BBC NI does a fair few programs on the Ulster Scots. They will be listed on that site.

Sorry, I wasn't saying they are all thugs, but they seem to generate mainly bad press. I am still not sure if covering the flag protest would be worthwhile.

It has to be media related.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement